Not open for further replies.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I think people are most prone to superstitions when they have no power over what will happen to them ... like when waiting hoping longing for a great publishing contract.

So, 'fess up, people - do you engage in any behavior/rituals/superstitions to see if the publishing divinities might smile on you?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must have coffee when submitting...wait...that's addiction, not superstition...oh, I sometimes refuse to change my avatar when I have an agent reading some of my stuff...I don't know why.

Reilly616

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I have no superstitions. I don't see the point, since they don't affect anything.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Superstition usually is the result of having done a thing during a 'result'. That is, you were wearing yellow polka dot underwear when you checked the mail and found an acceptance letter. So after that event, the yellow polka underwear becomes your lucky underwear when querying and checking the mailbox for acceptances.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough acceptances to have noticed any coincidences in which I could develop a superstitious behavior.

But as soon as I do, i'll let you know.

Mel...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Good point, mel. I used to do a lot of amateur theater. I once landed a coveted part while wearing a certain perfume. From then on, I always wore that perfume to auditions.

Yeah, I know. I did or didn't get a part because of my skill/talent vs the other auditioners, the way any particular group of actors 'blended' if the play called for a familly-type cast, logical things like that.

And now I just realized that my vacation's coming up in 2 weeks. Last year, the agent with whom I signed emailed me while I was on vacation, asking for my phone number and a good time to call. :D So now I'm hoping that this year on vacation I'll get an email from her with an offer froma publisher. *kneels in prayer*

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I have to be drinking something with caffeine when writing. I don't think it really does anything for me, but I drink it anyway. I also have to write on my laptop and my laptop only. Who knows why. When it dies, I'm going to be in trouble.

I also have to force myself not to think about receiving requests for materials because when I've queried and gotten them, they've only ever arrived when I least expected them and when I wasn't compulsively clicking the Send/Receive button.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any supersitions...no that's not true. I'll do something like, pick up a penny I find on the ground, and before I look at the date, I'll say, "If this penny is from 1950 through 2000...such and such will happen"

Or, I'll be bored and play solitaire, and say, "If I win this game...."

Silly. I know. But I do it. For agents...and other areas of my life.

And I pray. Because despite my silly supersitious behavior, I believe in God. Ironic, I guess.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I also have to force myself not to think about receiving requests for materials because when I've queried and gotten them, they've only ever arrived when I least expected them and when I wasn't compulsively clicking the Send/Receive button.

Yeah, nearly all the good things have taken me by surprise. But how does one stop watching/waiting/actively wondering?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
For about two months, it seemed that if I wore this one particular anklet, I didn't get a rejection. If I forgot and left it off for a day, boom - rejections, usually more than one. I got so freaked out I started tracking it, and the trend held for another whole month. Then one day while driving home from work (while wearing it), I had the thought that today was going to be the day my weird anklet streak ended. And sure enough, I had an R waiting for me in the mail slot.

So um, I'm not really sure that's superstition, but it had me going for a good long time.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to wear my silver phoenix pendant when writing or doing marketing chores. It looks at a distance like the Evenstar pendant that Arwen gave Aragorn, so when it falls off my neck and shatters, I'll know I've hit bottom -- the next sub/query will click! Or not. Besides, silver doesn't shatter.

Rats.

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
I only succumb to one. When I'm emailing/posting/talking about my books, I always say "when--never 'if'--they're published".

Me too. It's always, "When my novel is published."

I'm mucho superstitious. I never open an umbrella inside or walk under ladders if there's any way to avoid it. Knock on wood all the time. And I actually get worried when a cat crosses my path.

These really have nothing to do with my writing, but for my life as a whole.

It might all be silly...but you know...just in case.:D

oneidii

Copyediting Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkblom.com
I have to always wear something that reminds me of the present WIP...except for the present WIP. Somehow she's always got to be different.

Book before last book: a bull charm. Last book: a Kokopelli keyring. This book: suspiciously bare. I wonder at that. The next book: a rune ring. Funny, but seems to work.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I have to always wear something that reminds me of the present WIP...except for the present WIP. Somehow she's always got to be different.

Book before last book: a bull charm. Last book: a Kokopelli keyring. This book: suspiciously bare. I wonder at that. The next book: a rune ring. Funny, but seems to work.

Here's a bad mental image for you: If I dressed as one of the villains in my mystery, it would've been in a gold Victoria's secret thong, push-up bra, stiletto heels, and a snake bellybutton charm.

Loot at me in my avatar: I'm short, fat, and 47.

Are you screaming yet? :D

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I end up doing lots of funny things. My books are set in Bronze Age Greece. I'll go to Munich's Diana Temple just to get inspiration. Or I'll eat food similar to the food popular in the time period... which in a way is research.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
Here's a bad mental image for you: If I dressed as one of the villains in my mystery, it would've been in a gold Victoria's secret thong, push-up bra, stiletto heels, and a snake bellybutton charm.

But shouldn't you try out the snake bellybutton charm? So you can describe what it feels like? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.