California mandates car dealers to display a "Green Score" sticker on all 2009 models

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
California mandates that a "scarlet letter" be worn by all owners of gas guzzlers

Your car will have a sticker that tells everyone how "green" the vehicle is (or isn't).

http://www.gantdaily.com/news/11/ARTICLE/24927/2008-07-08.html

California Has New Green Requirement For Car Sellers

July 8th, 2008 - Vittorio Hernandez - AHN News Writer

Los Angeles, CA (AHN) - Beginning on Jan. 1, 2009, all new vehicles sold in California must have a window sticker that indicates the car's global warming scores.

The score ranges from 0 to 10 to tell how much smog and greenhouse gas the auto releases in the environment. Ten is the highest score and zero the lowest.

A Honda Civic hybrid has a 9 score for smog and 10 for greenhouse gases. The Ford E-250 Econoline van got a very low 1 on both categories, while Toyota's 4Runner scored 5 for both categories.

Some critics say this will set people up for public ridicule by neighbors or even total strangers in parking lots, exacerbating the already growing public resentment of people who drive SUV's.

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-...ives/2008/07/my_global_warming_score_is_a.asp

My Global Warming Score is a...

Monday, July 07, 2008 12:01 PM - by Carl Schaad

And I also wonder: Is this the first step to eventually requiring a sticker on your car
after you've bought it, in order to shame you into better, greener habits? "Look,
Mommy, that bad man is driving a 2! Boooo! Bad man! Why do you hate your planet so much?"

Last edited:

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that a sticker on a new car so people are made aware, not to be kept on the car.

That would be like keeping the price sticker on the window.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Let me double check, guys.

I'm pretty sure the OTHER articles I read (before settling on these two) said it goes next to your license plate. Like ... permanently.
That would be the pits.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a good thing. Permanent would be better, IMO. After all, people who bought gas-guzzlers before 2009 won't have the sticker. Hopefully, this would reduce such cars only to the people who really need them.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, all you Brits out there, help me out ....

THIS article is the only one that mentions the license plate. The newspaper in question is The Independent. Are they a reputable paper, or a rag with a history of sloppy journalism?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...o-shame-the-owners-of-gasguzzlers-862971.html

California to shame the owners of gas-guzzlers

Wednesday, 9 July 2008 - By Guy Adams in Los Angeles

As if sky-rocketing petrol prices weren't already hurting them enough, the drivers of America's fleet of Hummers, monster trucks, and gas-guzzling SUVs are about to suffer sustained public humiliation, courtesy of the green lobby.

The state of California has announced plans for all new vehicles to carry "global warming" stickers next to their number plate, giving car owners – and their fellow motorists – an instant assessment of their carbon footprint.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Gas guzzler tax would be appropriate.

A sticker is worthless.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
How is this any different than Energy Star ratings on appliances? maybe they should do something like that; "This vehicle will cost you an average of $6000 a year to fuel."

I think that's a great idea.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I need some help here guys.

Should I have a mod change the title of the thread? Do you think I was misled by the British news article? Is the British interpretation totally bogus and so is this sticker one that is NOT required after purchase?? (Kinda like the tags on your mattress?) Or is it required to be displayed at all times throughout the life of the car? "I'm with the mattress police. There are no tags on these mattresses." --Chevy Chase in Fletch

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
I need some help here guys.

Should I have a mod change the title of the thread? Do you think I was misled by the British news article? Is the British interpretation totally bogus and so is this sticker one that is NOT required after purchase?? (Kinda like the tags on your mattress?) Or is it required to be displayed at all times throughout the life of the car? "I'm with the mattress police. There are no tags on these mattresses." --Chevy Chase in Fletch
Here is the link I posted earlier, if I am reading it correctly the sticker is for consumer awareness and not for permanent display after the car is purchased.

http://www.climatechangefraud.com/co...view/1512/218/

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I'm not sure what this has to do with a "nanny state." I don't see it as being any different than forcing nutritional information to be put on food.
Well, if it's a permanent sticker placed on cars, it's a very different thing. Nutritional information is not on food--it's on the packaging. It's there for the buyer to utilize for the decision-making process. A permanent sticker on cars in public view would not be there for the buyer. It would be there for everyone else.

If the sticker is merely on the window sheet, then it is the same thing--there to help the buyer make his/her decision.

In the first case, I'd say it's not so much a nanny-state thing, as it is a police-state thing.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Gas guzzler tax would be appropriate.

Because gasoline is priced the same for all vehicles, those who drive efficient cars are literally subsidizing the big gas guzzlers.

It really pisses me off.

I hope they will change the registration system, so the gas sipping vehicles pay a hundred bucks, and it goes up with the fuel use of the vehicle, until the Hummers are paying $5000 a year.

That would help eliminate the unfair subsidy and provide the added benefit for these 'status symbol' vehicle owners that they really are rich enough to drive them.

It's not a 'luxury tax', it's a 'use tax'. They can pay for lots of infrastructure improvements.

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
If people judge a car on the road by a performance sticker, they're not getting the whole story. Just because someone owns and registers a "gas guzzler" doesn't mean they use it often. Person A, who owns a "green" car may use it many more times than Person B who owns a "gas guzzler". They could, in theory, contribute to global warming equally over time. Of course, if Person B's car was "green" in the first place... :e2hammer:

I think being aware of a car's environmental performance is a good thing for purchases, but having that performance displayed after purchase (if that's the case) without also displaying car usage is misleading.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score

I rest my case. I have a neighbor who has one of these things, complete with a custom made garage for it. I've seen him go pick up pizza in it.

Conspicuous consumption which costs all of us at the pump. It's time they pay their fair share, they aren't paying it now.

We subsidize their extravagance.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm one of those people who drives a guzzler. How exactly are those who drive more efficient cars subsidizing my gas? I seem to be paying exactly the same price as everyone else at the pump, and I'm there twice as much.

It's a modified jeep by the way, lifted with big chunky tires.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
The law of supply and demand. The gas guzzlers increased the demand, thus the price went up. . .for everyone, not just the biggest users.

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score

I rest my case. I have a neighbor who has one of these things, complete with a custom made garage for it. I've seen him go pick up pizza in it.

Conspicuous consumption which costs all of us at the pump. It's time they pay their fair share, they aren't paying it now.

We subsidize their extravagance.

I know this is a Californian (/American) issue. However...

Hubby and I own a medium-sized 4WD (family of five)--a gas guzzler. Without it, we wouldn't be able to get around where we live (Aussie bush/forests/sand--many of our roads are tracks that are prone to flooding). Small, economic cars can't hack our conditions. Would you say we're extravagant? Should we be penalised for needing this type of vehicle?