AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Claire Gerus Literary Agency

Question Claire Gerus Literary Agency

Anyone know anything about Claire Gerus? Her listing on PM looks good -- lots of editing experience - but I wondered if there's a conflict since she appears to be offering editorial services as well as agenting services.

Banned
    I love Claire. I've known and worked with her for a couple years, and she knows her stuff and is as honest as the day is long. You can't go wrong with her. Great mind, great heart. Her editing expertise will come in handy since all the agents I know edit their client's work before pitching it to editors.

contact info?
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Here's her Publishers Marketplace page: http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/Clairus/

- Victoria

Thanks Priceless, Victoria. Sounds like a good person to work with.

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion Mr. Anonymous's Avatar
    Queried her in the morning, got a response back just now. (It's 5 p.m. here) She asked for the first thirty pages. So far so good, I suppose.

Somewhere in the hills.... Appalachian Writer's Avatar
    I like her smile. I think I'm gonna send her a query. Couldn't hurt? Right?
    Remember; GONE WITH THE WIND was rejected 132 times!

http://wkeverhart.blogspot.com
    http://raphaelsvillage.com/
    working revisions:
    book 1...now at 97,702 complete! finished.
    book 2...now at 40,551

Internet Ninja of 1337 VoltShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Writer View Post
    I like her smile. I think I'm gonna send her a query. Couldn't hurt? Right?
    Guess not, haven't heard anything bad about her yet at all.
    Query Letter in Development. - Neomentals A Torrential Onset (86K Words)
    E.I.P. - Neomentals A Heated Beginning (86K Words)
    W.I.P. - Fuszors (7K Words...

Red face Claire Gerus

Queried Claire and received a very nice personal response. My ms wasn't her thing, but anyone who writes what she says she is looking for, should definitely query this kind, smart and very approachable professional.

I'd kill to work with someone like Claire.

she got back to you already? Here's to hoping I'm next on the list. :P Thanks for the heads up, she really does seem great. All her client testimonials on publisher's market are absolutely glowing.

practical experience, FTW

Claire Gerus Literary Agency

Really impressed with this woman.

Quick response to my NF e-mail query, asked to read portions, a follow-up phone call with some marketing discussions for my NF book and her concerns about representing it in this marketplace.

Listened to my response to her suggestions.

Wants to keep in touch and when I do get an agent, to let her know.

High class and I recommend her! Anyone have any experience with her?

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/Clairus/

Dave Diamantes
    Responded to my email query within a couple of hours and requested a partial. Rejected me in record time with very useful comments and some encouragement. She's a gem.

I still haven't heard back on my partial. the1dsquared, if you don't mind me asking, when did you get your partial request? BTW, i loved your anti-blog. :P
    Last edited by Mr. Anonymous; 08-12-2008 at 02:38 AM.

Dave Diamantes
    Thanks Mr. A. Request for 30 pages and rejection were on July 19, 2008. No news is probably good news my friend.

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    She responded quickly. I sent her the first chapter, and the wait begins. I'm hoping no news is good news.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

Good luck Branwyn!

Yea, I sent her the first 30 pages on July 9th, which is why I'm getting a little antsy. Let's hope no news is good news together.

EDIT: Claire just sent me an email saying that she didn't get my 30 pages, asking me to send them again, and saying she'll get right back to me. Guess it wasn't good news. :p Still, I'm really impressed that she took the time to check back in with me. Most agents probably wouldn't have bothered.
    Last edited by Mr. Anonymous; 08-13-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Just want to say that I just got one of kindest, personal rejections I've ever received from Claire a little while ago.

I wish all of you guys the best of luck - she's great!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    After reading all the kind words about Ms. Gerus, I queried her. Imagine my utter shock when she responded in less than an hour, requesting the first 20 and last 20 of my manuscript. That I can do. However, she also requested a curriculum vitae, which I don't have. Should I just mention my lack of publishing credits and limited education when I send her the partial? Or should I type up a CV containing my nonexistent qualifications? I'm a total newb (Ms. Gerus is the first agent to request a partial, so I'm 1 for 8), and I would love some advice on how to proceed. Any pointers would be most appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. If I've posted this in the wrong area, please let me know. Again, total newb.

Banned
    Clone, it's okay that you have no publishing credits. Claire is one of the sweetest agents I know, so don't panic. Editors and agents want to get a feel for the writer, who they are, why they wrote the book - the background stuff. Try to stick to giving information that ties your background in with your book. As in, "I wrote The Twinkie Manual because I'm listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having eaten the most Twinkies in ten minutes." Info about the fact that you can fix three school lunches in five minutes and write poetry don't work here, so leave it out.

If you have any unique promotional ideas, this is also a perfect place to add this. Something like, "I give cooking seminars on how to make the perfect Twinkie knockoff and would grant me a perfect instant readership."

Does that help?

Dave Diamantes
    You can't go wrong being totally honest.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Thanks for the quick response, priceless1. I did pretty much what you said. I sent her a brief bio in lieu of a CV, and said I'd type up an "official" CV ASAP if she wanted one. Hopefully, I didn't bore her to tears with the info--or the writing.

practical experience, FTW
    I queried Claire last evening, and she got back to me in about three hours, asking for the first 20 pages, the last 20 pages, and my c v. I wrote back saying I didn't know what a c v was, and she replied, explaining it was my resume. So, now she has all the material she requested.

No agent has asked me for quite that combination before, but it makes perfect sense.

practical experience, FTW rebobinar's Avatar
    Wow, based on the enthusiasm here I queried at midnight on Saturday and by early Sunday morning had a request for a partial. I sent it off right after church, around 1, and before dinner she had written back and said that she'd like me to call her to discuss the beginning. WOO!!!!!

She also asked me for a resume, so I wrote up a quick CV with most of my writing stuff which isn't a ton, but is something.

If anyone who has worked with Claire has any tips, I'd love to hear them. I'm a tad bit nervous to talk to an agent!

Thumbs up

Although Claire rejected my query, we exchanged a couple of emails. She "sounded" very friendly, down-to-earth and there's no doubt she has a sense of humor.

Good Luck!

Halfway between here and there Maui Author's Avatar
    She requested my partial on August 18th. I'm hoping she likes it, I would love to work with her!
    Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
    - Randy Pausch

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast