• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kathryn Green Literary Agency

Mark

Registered
Reaction score
Usually people post a question about an agency on this forum. I'm going to beat you to the punch.

I sent a e-query to this agency a few weeks ago and got a reply to see my YA manuscript. Today I got my SASE back with a rejection, but...

This has got to be the best rejection ever. Kathryn Green critiqued my entire manuscript and gave me a LOT of feedback in the rejection. Just for the fact it wasn't a form rejection was compliment enough, but this thing had chunks of postives and negatives.

I appreciate the extra effort and just wanted to post the props for this agency.

carlywrites

kathryn green

Kathryn Green has asked to see my ms.

I read one wonderful comment about her on this forum. She has a "$" symbol at P & E, but there's not much else out there. Apparently has a long career in publishing before becoming an agent.

Any experiences or information you can share? I'd appreciate it.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
She read my full ms and ultimately passed. She was thoroughly professional and gave me some excellent and astute feedback within two weeks of receiving the full manuscript.

tesla

Registered
Reaction score
Question about Querying

Hey guys,

I submitted my short story collection to the Kathyrn Green Agency, I received the following rejection:

Dear Tesla,
Thank you for letting me see LITTLE BLUE SOMETHING.
You are a very powerful writer. Many of these stories are so disturbing--but the subject matter is made palatable by sheer dint of your skill. I congratulate you on this accomplishment. Unfortunately, I thought that the collection mined too much of the same areas. Short story collections are so difficult to find homes for; while yours has so much to recommend it, I am not sure that my initial enthusiasm would be enough to see it through to publication.

Thanks again for showing this to me. If you ever decide to write a novel, please do let me know.

Sincerely,
Kathy Green

By far the BEST rejection letter ever. My question is, I will be finished with the last draft of my latest novel by the end of May, is that too soon to send her a query about it? She really is one of my top choices for agency.

Thanks everyone!

Tess

tesla

Registered
Reaction score

She read my ms, ended up passing. But her rejection letter was AMAZING and personalized and she asked to see any novels that I ended up writing. By far the best rejection letter I have ever gotten.

Levi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levibrackman.com
Why should it be too soon? She asked you to let her know. I would reply her her saying that not only have you thought of writing a novel but that you have almost completed one. If she was sincere she will no doubt ask to see it immediately.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
I've got to echo the others' comments. Requested my full, rejected it in about two weeks but with a personalized full-page letter. She mentioned specific points, which indicated she'd read the whole thing. I'd love to have her as an agent.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
An agent gave you a very flattering rejection and invited you to get in touch when you had a novel ready. Seems pretty straightforward to me :)

I don't think May is too soon, if the novel is really ready to go at that point. In fact, it could be to your advantage, because your collection should still be fresh in her mind at that point.

Good luck!!!

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I got a request for a full!

Sorry for posting this here, I jumped the gun. Kathyrn Green comes up smelling like a rose.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-26-2006, 10:53 PM
peppsy
Esteemed New Member

So....what happened????
06-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Toni1953
Desperately Seeking Agent

She rejected my first attempt but wrote me a personal letter and gave some helpful suggestions which inspired me to completely change the tone of the story.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
She replied to my query at lightning speed. I emailed her my query at 12:01. At 12:07 she emailed me, requesting my synopsis and partial. At 12:09, I emailed her saying thanks, that I'd get the materials in the mail, and that I was assuming she wanted me to send them via post. By 12:14, she emailed saying I could attach the documents or send them in the mail, and by 12:23, my partial is off in cyber spacae, being sent to her.

tesla

Registered
Reaction score
Question

Okay, about four months ago Kathyrn Green rejected my full manuscript, but asked to see it again if I rewrote it to her specifications. I have done so (and greatly improved the novel, I believe) and I am wondering how to exactly word the letter to her to tell her that I have rewritten the book and would like to send it to her.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I would send it in, just like before, and include a cover letter explaining. If it's snail mail, and she sent a letter, xerox it and include it. If it was an e-mail, send it with her e-mail quoted, down to footers and headers.

Regards,
Scott

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent my full to her. Hope she likes it.

(I also queried another agent, because I refuse to put all my eggs in one basket!)

Last edited:

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Good Luck! That was me who started the thread (old screenname). She rejected my full, but gave me great feedback for improving it.

emsuniverse

Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting patiently. Really. I swear.

This woman seems to be one hell of an agent, and I would absolutely love to be repped by her.

But I won't get my hopes up too much. I'm trying not to think about it.

Like that's going to happen.

Thanks for the support, guys!

emsuniverse

Registered
Reaction score
She rejected it. Sniff.