The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kathryn Green Literary Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Mark's Avatar

Kathryn Green Literary Agency

Usually people post a question about an agency on this forum. I'm going to beat you to the punch.

I sent a e-query to this agency a few weeks ago and got a reply to see my YA manuscript. Today I got my SASE back with a rejection, but...

This has got to be the best rejection ever. Kathryn Green critiqued my entire manuscript and gave me a LOT of feedback in the rejection. Just for the fact it wasn't a form rejection was compliment enough, but this thing had chunks of postives and negatives.

I appreciate the extra effort and just wanted to post the props for this agency.
    Mark

Patiently waiting for an Eagles Championship, but I'll take one from the Flyers, Sixers, or Phillies in the meantime.

Wow, awesome. Sorry about the rejection, though.

carlywrites

kathryn green

Kathryn Green has asked to see my ms.

I read one wonderful comment about her on this forum. She has a "$" symbol at P & E, but there's not much else out there. Apparently has a long career in publishing before becoming an agent.

Any experiences or information you can share? I'd appreciate it.

She read my full ms and ultimately passed. She was thoroughly professional and gave me some excellent and astute feedback within two weeks of receiving the full manuscript.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Kathryn Green Literary Agency, LLC

Doesn't seem to have a web page, but here's her PM listing, FWIW.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/kathy/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question about Querying

Hey guys,

I submitted my short story collection to the Kathyrn Green Agency, I received the following rejection:

Dear Tesla,
    Thank you for letting me see LITTLE BLUE SOMETHING.
    You are a very powerful writer. Many of these stories are so disturbing--but the subject matter is made palatable by sheer dint of your skill. I congratulate you on this accomplishment. Unfortunately, I thought that the collection mined too much of the same areas. Short story collections are so difficult to find homes for; while yours has so much to recommend it, I am not sure that my initial enthusiasm would be enough to see it through to publication.

Thanks again for showing this to me. If you ever decide to write a novel, please do let me know.

Sincerely,
    Kathy Green

By far the BEST rejection letter ever. My question is, I will be finished with the last draft of my latest novel by the end of May, is that too soon to send her a query about it? She really is one of my top choices for agency.

Thanks everyone!

Tess

She read my ms, ended up passing. But her rejection letter was AMAZING and personalized and she asked to see any novels that I ended up writing. By far the best rejection letter I have ever gotten.

figuring it all out
    Why should it be too soon? She asked you to let her know. I would reply her her saying that not only have you thought of writing a novel but that you have almost completed one. If she was sincere she will no doubt ask to see it immediately.
    Visit me at : www.LeviBrackman.com
    Buy my book here

Thank you so much!

Wink

Yeah, tesla, great letter to you. I would write back to her with a thank you and tell her that you indeed have a novel in the pipe that is nearly finished, and that you would be honored to send it her way.

Great going. What a wonderful comment about your voice!

Tri

I've got to echo the others' comments. Requested my full, rejected it in about two weeks but with a personalized full-page letter. She mentioned specific points, which indicated she'd read the whole thing. I'd love to have her as an agent.

Got the hang of it, here Absolute Sage jchines's Avatar
    An agent gave you a very flattering rejection and invited you to get in touch when you had a novel ready. Seems pretty straightforward to me

I don't think May is too soon, if the novel is really ready to go at that point. In fact, it could be to your advantage, because your collection should still be fresh in her mind at that point.

Good luck!!!
    "A good library is both church and armory..."
    -from LIBRIOMANCER

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    She's requested a partial of mine. I'll keep you posted.
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Sockpuppet

I got a request for a full!

Sorry for posting this here, I jumped the gun. Kathyrn Green comes up smelling like a rose.

Wish me luck!
    Last edited by DeniseK; 05-22-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    06-26-2006, 10:53 PM
    peppsy
    Esteemed New Member

So....what happened????
    06-27-2006, 07:10 AM
    Toni1953
    Desperately Seeking Agent

She rejected my first attempt but wrote me a personal letter and gave some helpful suggestions which inspired me to completely change the tone of the story.
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Provrb1810meggy's Avatar
    She replied to my query at lightning speed. I emailed her my query at 12:01. At 12:07 she emailed me, requesting my synopsis and partial. At 12:09, I emailed her saying thanks, that I'd get the materials in the mail, and that I was assuming she wanted me to send them via post. By 12:14, she emailed saying I could attach the documents or send them in the mail, and by 12:23, my partial is off in cyber spacae, being sent to her.

Smile

Wow, this sounds like a honey of an agent. Can you imagine what time and skills she applies to her CLIENTS? It boggles the mind. Yea, for you Ms. Green!

Tri

Question

Okay, about four months ago Kathyrn Green rejected my full manuscript, but asked to see it again if I rewrote it to her specifications. I have done so (and greatly improved the novel, I believe) and I am wondering how to exactly word the letter to her to tell her that I have rewritten the book and would like to send it to her.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    I would send it in, just like before, and include a cover letter explaining. If it's snail mail, and she sent a letter, xerox it and include it. If it was an e-mail, send it with her e-mail quoted, down to footers and headers.

Regards,
    Scott
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]

Back to freelancing again... emsuniverse's Avatar
    I just sent my full to her. Hope she likes it.

(I also queried another agent, because I refuse to put all my eggs in one basket!)
    Last edited by emsuniverse; 03-16-2007 at 08:48 AM. Reason: damn typos
    Everyone loves a Blog

Twitter: emilyshendricks (follow me?)
    FB page: The View From Down Here (like me?)

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club RitrChick's Avatar
    Yay for you! Good luck!

Good Luck! That was me who started the thread (old screenname). She rejected my full, but gave me great feedback for improving it.
    Mark

Want to learn about ETFs? Yours truly is the About.com Guide for Exchange Traded Funds.

I'm also the CEO of SEOM Interactive a Philadelphia SEO Company and I tweet at @markkennedysem

I'm waiting patiently. Really. I swear.

This woman seems to be one hell of an agent, and I would absolutely love to be repped by her.

But I won't get my hopes up too much. I'm trying not to think about it.

Like that's going to happen.

Thanks for the support, guys!
    Everyone loves a Blog

She rejected it. Sniff.
    Everyone loves a Blog

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club RitrChick's Avatar
    So sorry! Now, on to the next one!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast