AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Narrative Magazine

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin snowdog's Avatar

Narrative Magazine

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me about Narrative Magazine? Here are their submission guidelines:

https://narrativemagazine.com/shared/submit.php

Thanks!

Obsessive is just a less complimentary term for "detail-oriented" SeattleGhostWriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me about Narrative Magazine? Here are their submission guidelines:

https://narrativemagazine.com/shared/submit.php

Thanks!

I have actually looked over their website, and signed up to a free subscription. They explain everything on the website, including the minimal reading fee that they charge and also state that there is an exception to the reading fee when it comes to their two per annual open submission calls.

It is a very professional website from my perspective and definitely worth the time and the minimal reading fee (unless you wait for their open submission call where there is no reading fee charge). It looks as though they are definitely upfront about what they do, who they are and their purpose and mission regarding the magazine. I am definitely bookmarking them and working harder in cleaning up my own manuscripts that I have.

Hope that helps.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    As has been pointed out, Narrative charges a reading fee. Sure, the fee is small--but with the large number of excellent magazine markets that charge nothing whatever to read submissions, I don't see why writers should waste funds on one that does.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Very slick. Looks like they have ties to the subsidized literary community.

The only thing about the site that strikes me as remarkable is the wave of boredom that hits me when I look at it. I've gone back three times now, and had the same thing happen each time. Just thinking about it makes me want to go to sleep. I'd love to get a look at their site statistics to see whether anyone actually reads it.

Other than that, what Victoria says: there are plenty of good, respectable magazines that don't charge reading fees.
    Last edited by HapiSofi; 01-25-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Have you tried reading the stories? I mean, I haven't, so what do I know, but I get the weekly notifications, where they post the beginning of each story. None has prompted such an "OOOH" as to go ahead and pay the extra money to read the story.... But that's just me, I'd be curious to know what others think.
    Last edited by sciri; 01-25-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Apparently they take book-length submissions too:

http://www.narrativemagazine.com/award

Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi View Post
    Very slick. Looks like they have ties to the subsidized literary community.

The only thing about the site that strikes me as remarkable is the wave of boredom that hits me when I look at it. I've gone back three times now, and had the same thing happen each time. Just thinking about it makes me want to go to sleep. I'd love to get a look at their site statistics to see whether anyone actually reads it.

Other than that, what Victoria says: there are plenty of good, respectable magazines that don't charge reading fees.

Could you list a couple of these?

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. House View Post
    Could you list a couple of these?
    Look here www.duotrope.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Absolute Write is the least dependable source of info about markets I know of. I seldom come here anymore. The forum seems to be loaded with comments, both negative and positive, from people who haven't taken even minimal trouble to do their homework. Personally, I don't care for Narrative Magazine myself, but the mag is taken seriously everywhere but here and a couple of crank blogs. The reading fees irritate a lot of people, including me, but the fees allow the mag to pay their writers - get it? pay them - comparatively well, and to fund substantial prizes. You pay substantial fees to enter contests, don't you?

Tell me: if this magazine is so flakey, why have Guggenheim fellows Gail Godwin and Bill Barich published there? Or Ted Kooser – the US poet laureate from 2004-2006?

Don't know why I'm bothering with this - it won't do any good. Just venting irritation, I guess. Bottom line: get professional, do your homework.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    *ahem*

All else aside, it's the author's choice to subsidize a venue's income with reading fees. Personally, I'd rather a magazine have the readership to support itself through sales or ad revenue -- or even an arts grant -- and I find it odd when one taken so seriously cannot accomplish that.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCrone View Post
    Absolute Write is the least dependable source of info about markets I know of.
    Can you share with us the places that you think are the most dependable sources of info about markets?

practical experience, FTW turningpoint's Avatar

narrative magazine

There are different reports online about narrative magazine. They do charge fees to writers but it is run by a reputable person, Tom Jenks. Does anyone have experience or thoughts about this magazine?

This site? http://www.narrativemagazine.com/

If so, there's an existing thread on them here: <snipped>
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 04-02-2011 at 03:24 AM. Reason: threads belatedly merged, thanks!
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/

Double Posting is FUN

This post from 2009 (rather angrily) pointed out the reading fee and a problem with spam after subscribing/signing up for free. In 2009 one person reported they couldn't unsubscribe. Another blogger wrote about spam comments advertising the magazine in '09.

I'd like to poke around their site, but I despise when a site spams me or sells my info. Anyone have any email spam problems after signing up? I hadn't found anything more recent about it, so perhaps they wised up.
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/

For myself, I am not keen on the literary venues where high-profile writers publish by invitation and everyone else needs to pay a reading fee. Narrative's reading fee is also super-high compared to places like Sonora Review and Massachusetts Review, wher the reading fee is $3 IIRC.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

practical experience, FTW augusto's Avatar
    From their website:
    Open Reading Periods: During the first two weeks of April, we do not require a reading fee for general submissions made specifically to the Open Reading category via our submissions page. However, manuscripts submitted during this period are not eligible for the Narrative Prize.
    Five novels in Americana series available here.

Has anyone submitted to Narrative in the last year or two? How was your experience? I'm unclear on what rights are given to them, when looking at the site.
    Doing the backstroke in the beer moat.

Try it, you might like it. Blogging life in the big city with Mrs Fringe.

Mentoring Myself and Others Debbie V's Avatar
    I just looked at the website, and I'm confused. If their mission is to provide literature to readers for free, why are the issues available for sale in the online store?

figuring it all out
    A writing buddy of mine sent me this link today, I have a short story that I've been looking for a place to submit to.

http://www.narrativemagazine.com/node/220797

I dunno. Is it common to have a fee for a writing contest (especially more than $20) for a short piece of fiction? Are these contests reputable or does the organizers pals always win?

I'm going to peek around the site a bit more, but I'm kind of on the fence at them moment.