Status
Not open for further replies.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
It's that time again, to tackle another legendary creature that adds the spice to our zesty stories. And as some of you said last time around, vamps are all right but werewolves are the bomb! Well guess what - That's my sentiments exactly!

I love those furry bastards. There's so much that can be done with these bad boys. Besides the roving gangs ruling the night or bottomless gut-chompers eating their way through a novel, I've always thought of the werewolf as an ultraviolent Incredible Hulk. Out there runs a man with a good heart and good intentions but the wrong circumstance come around and it's goodnight, Gracy!

So what are your feelings about the ever-loving furballs?

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Ohhhhh! I was waiting for this one!

I lurves me some fuzzybutts. Point in fact, my heroine is a werewuff! ^_^

Let's see... what do I like...

1 - their randomly uncontrollable nature. It's like playing Russian roulette but with fangs and fur instead of guns and bullets. Infinite possibility for explosive rage is so very much fun to play with!
2 - the hair. Come on, real men have lots of testosterone. Lots of testosterone = lots of hair. It just happens to cover their whole body, is all.
3 - the pack mentality. Whereas vampires are mostly loners as far as hunting goes, it is *so* much more thrilling to think that someone could be hunted by an entire PACK of baddies. So many possibilities for ambushes, tag team take downs, mass attacks, etc etc etc.
4 - regeneration. Fuxing awesome. That is all.
5 - alpha males. I loves me my alpha males. The "grr, argh!" factor is fantastic.

Dislikes:

1 - Werewolves who hate what they are. Come on. It's like I said with the vampires, I have no tolerance for brooding, self-pitying characters. You're a frikkin' werewolf! Have fun with it. Or go kill something.
2 - This isn't about the werewolves themselves, per say, but there's always that one character who thinks they can calm the beast or fight it with their bare hands (wtf?) and they end up getting eaten. Hello! Fuzzy ball of rage with sharp teeth and claws. Do not get near it when it transforms.
3 - Although that does remind me, I hate it when werewolves *know* the change is coming and they don't make themselves scarce. Come on guys, take a cue from teh wimmenz. Act like it's frikkin' period time and excuse yourself. It's really not that hard. Mark the moon on your calendar, even. I has no patiences for teh ignorant werewuffs.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yep, my heroine is a werewolf, and her love intrest is a lonesome forest ranger. My girl's a DNA (ice age dire wolf) hybrid. When she goes into estrus, sex is blunt force trauma. She's damn strong and agile. She can run for dozens of miles without tiring. She has acute senses--very tuned into the environment.

Lots of fun to have a Beauty and the Beast with the gender roles reversed.

Tri

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Yay for Lycanthropy!
I'd rather read (or write) about werewolves than vampires. Because (in the limited Vamp Fic I've read) Vampires are civilised, well dressed... essentially they're Bond villains who drink blood.

Whereas proper werewolves aren't anything but 8 feet of snarling rage. Now (from the opposition's POV) that's more exciting.

there's always that one character who thinks they can ... fight it with their bare hands (wtf?)
Spoony could have.

Last edited:

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lily - I know where your heart lies, but a little nibble could change that!

Sassee - Wonderful points. And the point about the "change" cracked me up.

Tri - "sex is blunt force trauma"? Damned hillarious.

Bmwhtly - the Bond analogy is spot on! Nicely put.

Pike

Wolvel

Write the Damn Book!
Registered
Reaction score
All I have to say is that it's hot, and the guy wi
Werewolves is where its at for me as well. My wip (book one finished, two being written, and the final chapter in the planning stage) is a werewolf trilogy, but I am taking them in a whole different direction. Instaed of the mindless killing machines they are actually the star of the story.

I agree totally about the pack mentality vs the vamp loner.

That and the vampires seem to over saturate the horror genre as it is.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea of a werewold based off an ice age dire wolf. (Besides, 'dire' wolf is such a cool and appropriate name.)

I dislike 'mindless' werewolves, the ones whose sole purpose is to shred and maim. Give me one that's intelligent (and good-looking).

There's something almost poignant about werewolves - they know they are going to change periodically and there's no way to stop it.

Has anyone read the book 'Flowers for Algernon' (aka 'Charlie')? (It's about a retarded man who undergoes a procedure which makes him smart but then the effects start reversing themselves. He knows what's happening and can see himself regressing but can't stop it.) Sort of reminds me of werewolves.

Werewolves are great but vampires still rule!!

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Werewolves represent our most basic limbic instincts: fighting, fleeing, eating. It is the human id unfettered by ego or super-ego. The werewolf's dual form is the recognition of our own duality: civilisation wrapped around savagery.

Werewolves are horrifying for two reasons: firstly, that the human has become unrecognisable. This reminds us of our own rages, in which we abandon our sense of decency, consideration, kindness and our sense of social self.

Werewolves are also horrifying because of their sheer rapacious power. Fuelled by rage, they can rend and tear beyond comprehension and do so implacably. Insensitive to hurt and careless of the future, they cannot be intimidated, negotiated with, appeased or placated.

The tragedy of a werewolf is not that the man becomes a wolf, but that the wolf becomes again the man. The conscience restored, social restraints returned, the lycanthrope can feel only shame, guilt and remorse.

Lycanthropy is contagious. Having destructive rages visited upon us, we ourselves learn how to rage. Instead of the stiff tantrums of infancy, our adolescent and adult rages become calculated, destructive. We're taught this by watching the rages of our parents and carers.

The lycanthrope most commonly takes the wolf form because in human myth, the wolf embodies exactly these qualities. It is calculating, rapacious, implacable and supremely confident. But unlike natural wolves, werewolves are more often solitary than pack-based. And when they are pack-based they tend to be more restrained and calculating creatures.

The werewolf's achilles heel is silver: the white metal of the moon which commands its rages and can therefore dispatch them. This piece of unashamed paganism highlights a secret cultural fear: that monotheism hasn't really gentled us.

But despite that, for me, the werewolf is an aging monster struggling to find a place in the modern horror bestiary. Where the savage wilderness of nature has receded from our suburban lives, a werewolf is an implausible curio. Werewolves have migrated now to the distant edges of society - out in remote farmlands, large parks and distant developing nations. They have become tamer and increasingly are sad, sentimental mascots of a wilderness that we no longer remember.

But the need for a raging monster contiues. In our urban pragmatism we have stripped the werewolf of its rapacity, and handed this power to monsters whose form is always human: implacable axe-murderers, psycho-killers, human cannibals. Perfectly camouflaged, guiltless, remorseless sociopathic denizens of an urban jungle who do not need to wait for a full moon to transform.

They need only get you alone in an alley, their van, their home...

Or your home.

Last edited:

Alice.S

just ate all your candy
Registered
Reaction score
I love werewolves!!...I know I said this about Vampires,,,but I love Werewolves, Vampires, Mermaids, Fairies, Zombies, Centaurs, Dragons, Ghosts, Griffons, Phoenixes and Unicorns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ima_brat93

In a World of her Own
Registered
Reaction score
I love any type of Were. My MC in my current WIP is a Werefox. ^^ I love writing about the Change, but in this particular...story, the characters go to a school specifically to learn how to control their emotions, as the world still fears the Weres, so that they don't randomly Shift. >.> And so, they're not all "RAWR! -attacks-". ;P

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
But despite that, for me, the werewolf is an aging monster struggling to find a place in the modern horror bestiary. Where the savage wilderness of nature has receded from our suburban lives, a werewolf is an implausible curio. Werewolves have migrated now to the distant edges of society - out in remote farmlands, large parks and distant developing nations. They have become tamer and increasingly are sad, sentimental mascots of a wilderness that we no longer remember.

This makes me think you haven't read much urban fantasy lately. lol

Wolvel

Write the Damn Book!
Registered
Reaction score
Well someone mentioned the human knowing the change is coming and cannot do anything about it.

Well in my wip the werewolves not only welcome it, but look at it as part of who they are body and soul.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm almost done with Caitlin Kittredge's Night Life and that's addressed among the pack weres in the book. Where Luna (the MC) is floundering while trying to understand and control the Change, the pack weres love it and live for it. It's good stuff!

Pike

Wolvel

Write the Damn Book!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm almost done with Caitlin Kittredge's Night Life and that's addressed among the pack weres in the book. Where Luna (the MC) is floundering while trying to understand and control the Change, the pack weres love it and live for it. It's good stuff!

Pike

Mine embrace their wolf side from cubs up until they become adults and undergo the change.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Where was this discussion when I was researching werewolves and werewolf lore for a story? This is awesome, guys!

(The novel I'm shopping around right now has werewolves on the police department, werewolves on crack, werewolves in a fight, werewolves at a pancake house...too fun!)

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was at IHOP for the 4th and would have killed to see a werewolf there. The other patrons were like zombies. Well, excpet for the guys that broke into a fight in the parking lot. They had to suffice.

Note: Since I'm biased to the hariy ones, I'm gonna let this one sit a few more days berfore hitting another horror baddy. Enjoy! :D

Pike

Wolvel

Write the Damn Book!
Registered
Reaction score
I was at IHOP for the 4th and would have killed to see a werewolf there. The other patrons were like zombies. Well, excpet for the guys that broke into a fight in the parking lot. They had to suffice.

Note: Since I'm biased to the hariy ones, I'm gonna let this one sit a few more days berfore hitting another horror baddy. Enjoy! :D

Pike

I thought I saw one once at a waffle house, turned out to be a overly hairy man.

Wolvel

Write the Damn Book!
Registered
Reaction score

Even if this is true then that should make them that more dangerous overall. Less forests mean more agressive behaviour to find a home.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Lest we forget, werewolves spend most of their time in Human form.

So it's not like they have to live out in the wilderness. Despite the concrete and tarmac, most cities abound in wildlife (right up to foxes). So why not, for one night a month, have something larger and more ferocious adapting to life as an urban wolf? After all, it'll find more long pork in a city than in woodland far removed from society.

Status
Not open for further replies.