• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Gregory Literary Agency (Steven Gregory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garmani

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard anything about Steven P. Gregory or his agency, the Gregory Literary Agency, LLC. of Birmingham, Alabama? I was able to find out he's a lawyer and has an MFA, but don't have anything on his sales or clients. His agency website says he went into business in 2006.

P&E says they don't have any contact info...I got an email from Writer's Market, but that's about it. He read a .pdf partial of my manuscript, and requested a full, which I sent. He didn't ask for exclusivity, so I figured it couldn't hurt anything. I'm curious if anyone else knows anything about him.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
According to the website, the agency opened in 2006...but as yet, there's no sign of sales. As a general rule of thumb, an agency that's going to be successful should start making sales within a year or so of starting up. Too much longer than that suggests that the agent lacks experience, contacts, or both.

Here's a description of his law firm, from a 2000 West Alabama Chamber of Commerce newsletter:

Karen N. Dice and Steven P Gregory, P.C., have announced the formation of the law firm of Dice & Gregory, L.L.C., for the general practice of law. The firm's practice includes the areas of alternative dispute resolution (mediation and arbitration), antitrust, aviation law and litigation, bankruptcy, class actions, domestic relations, employment law and litigation, bankruptcy, class actions, domestic relations, employment law, juvenile matters, and securities arbitration and litigation. The firm also conducts a general corporate and business practice.

I don't see anything there relating to publishing or intellectual property.

- Victoria

Garmani

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose if he talks about representation I'll ask about sales, etc. I liked a lot of what he said on his blog and in the writing on his site. He also has an MFA - but was leery of his ability to sell anything since he doesn't list any sales or clients on the site.

Since he didn't ask me to stop submitting, I guess I didn't lose anything by sending him the full. Probably a newbie mistake on my part, though.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
How is it a newbie mistake? There is no commitment on your part. If he offers representation, you can either take it, or not. Nobody is forcing you into anything.

I think it is silly to limit your options. Sure, do your research, but don't cross off one road before it's even opened to you.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Crossing off a road now can make sense if you can establish it doesn't lead anywhere. If he isn't able to sell books you would be wasting your time. However, all you've wasted up until now is submissions, and your book is not tied up in an exclusive, either.

Garmani

Registered
Reaction score
Crossing off a road now can make sense if you can establish it doesn't lead anywhere. If he isn't able to sell books you would be wasting your time. However, all you've wasted up until now is submissions, and your book is not tied up in an exclusive, either.

That's sort of what I was thinking. I read his blog on his website and a lot of the other stuff he wrote on his pages there, and I liked what I saw. I figure since he didn't ask for an exclusive it couldn't hurt anything to send him the manuscript. He seems to have a good eye, and he does have an MFA - so if nothing else, maybe I'll get some pertinent criticism.

If he were to offer representation, I can ask some pretty pointed questions at that time. No sense in putting the cart before the horse.

I'm still very new to this part of the game, and the experience should be a help to me.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Got a note in my email from someone purporting to be Stephen Gregory. It says, in part:
In at least one of your forums, references to my name and to the Gregory Literary Agency, LLC, still exist and still appear in Google searches of my name. The Gregory Literary Agency has been out of business for several years, and the undersigned is no longer operating a literary agency under that name or any name.

Status
Not open for further replies.