• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Content site] Today's Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyT

I feel strange coming to your lovely site and immediately complaining, but my co-worker and best bud – Julianne :kiss: – who is a member told me about this place and said you wouldn’t hold it against me. And I really must rant just a tiny bit.

:Soapbox:

I joined todays-woman.net after seeing an open invitiation posted to a guest book by Rose DesRochers, who runs the site.

What a mistake. :Smack:

The site is difficult to negotiate. Pages load slowly, and the poetry listings, in particular, are not displayed well. Fonts are very small in places, and sometimes they are such a light gray that they are hard to read. I was having difficulty so I e-mailed Tech Support. Many days go by, no answer. They later claimed they never got the e-mail and that the pages load just fine for them. Guess my problem is solved then.

The site is billed as a workshop, but “critique” consists of largely comments like “i luv yr write”. What is it with text-message-ese? And if I remember correctly, one of the mods posted like that.

The site has forums – about 30 of them – but most of them contain only posts by Rose and most of the posts have no responses. I clicked on forum statistics once by mistake and saw that Rose had, in fact, made about 80% of all posts. Her posts also abuse the English language in ways that make me cringe and wonder why someone who runs a WRITING site doesn’t treat the English language with more respect.

I told them I did NOT want their newsletter, and yet they kept sending it to me. I finally reported it as spam.

After seeing all this, and ever the optimist (masochist :Wha: ), I stuck around and made six or seven benign posts to the forums over a couple of weeks, maybe a month. Then the other day, I clicked on the site and got a big message that my IP (actually my work IP – I love my DSL) has been blocked. Huh? I checked my e-mail, and I have a message saying my account has been deactivated. During a brief exchange of e-mails, Rose says that my presence at todays-woman, “served no other purpose than to reek [sic] havoc.” Again…huh? :Headbang:

Oh well, no big loss.

I would recommend that serious writers join another site. Todays-woman won't waste your money, just your time.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, you're by far not the only one to have such problems with Rose and/or her website. Check out the posts at Writer's Weekly Warnings, for instance.

But, anyway, welcome and please stick around. Be sure to check out our poetry forum. :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Don't even waste your time commenting on this thread. (See, now I'm doing it.) You're beating a dead dog...Everybody knows the pointlessness of that dead site. Now...surprisingly, Rose will find this thread and post her semi-literate rantings and a big free for all will break out. I've seen it a hundred times. Just let this thread die...or a moderator kill it. 'Nough said.

JennyT

Wow, this forum moves fast!

KTC said:
Don't even waste your time commenting on this thread. (See, now I'm doing it.) You're beating a dead dog...Everybody knows the pointlessness of that dead site. Now...surprisingly, Rose will find this thread and post her semi-literate rantings and a big free for all will break out. I've seen it a hundred times. Just let this thread die...or a moderator kill it. 'Nough said.

Sorry, I didn't know it already been discussed. I should have done a search first. If a mod wants to lock it...

Be sure to check out our poetry forum

Thanks, I was over there reading posts just now. Good stuff.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
No...I didn't mean it was discussed here. It's just that it pops up, eventually, on every writing site I ever visited and it get's real ugly and violent. I think Rose trolls through everywhere looking for accusers...and then attacks with venom...somehow managing to take the focus off the real issues...writing.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, yeah, Google her name and you'll be lead on a bizarre trip. But forewarned is forearmed. :cool:

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
Heh, yeah, Google her name and you'll be lead on a bizarre trip. But forewarned is forearmed. :cool:

Whew. Can I blame you for the hour I just wasted on this? :) It's like a train wreck... I can't stop looking. Just one more google, then I'll work on my WIP, I swear.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Rose was banned from here several months ago and has since rejoined under another nick. As long as she continues to follow Jenna's Golden Rule: Respect your fellow writers - she'll remain a member.

I think a couple of the posts here bend the rule. Discussing her site and its shortcomings is fair game, as is detailing what one might consider to be ill-treatment. Let's be careful not to descend too far down the ladder to outright disparagement.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Welcome Jenny and guess what? You're right about that! Just don't try unsubscribing..then she'll really freak out on ya..at least that was my experience.
:D

LMFAO..

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Galoot said:
It would be evil of me to point out that this person's last name is amusingly misspelled in the first post. So I won't.
If she really is a spool-grepping net loon, it's just as well that her name was misspelled.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Ah, a Rose by any other name...

Actually, I'm glad it was brought up again about Todays-Woman.net. A lot of people had bad experiences with her, including me. She got me confused with a "stormy," found out my email, and lambasted me. Had to block her address. If this thread can warn others who never heard of her, before they sign up on her web site, then it's a good thread to keep. Many people don't google names or web sites, and I believe the post about her on AW was awhile ago.

Julianne

Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, I checked out her site - well, the home page anyway, since you can't get any further without being a member - and I found this:

-----------------------------

Free Wheelin

Ed.jpg

by: Ed Williams
(Today's Woman's columnist)

I’ve invented a new term!

Yep, that’s right, I’ve invented a brand new term! Invented it all by myself, too, it popped into my head just a few minutes ago. I don’t know if it’s quite as good a term as some of the ones Ed Jr. has invented in the past (most of which could not be printed here), but I still think it’s a good one. So now, without further ado, here it is:

---------------------------

Ed, I love your posts here. I didn't realize you wrote for Rose's site.

Julianne

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Hey Julianne....

Julianne said:
Ed, I love your posts here. I didn't realize you wrote for Rose's site.

Julianne
...I've been real fortunate in the past several months in that the column has been picked up by a number of papers and web sites. It amazes me no end and then some. Rose's site did pick it up, and thus far she has done everything she committed to do and has been easy to work with. As long as that's the case, things are cool.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I remember her from various threads here last year or so. She's a troublemaker and very difficult to deal with, as I recall. I won't get into her writing 'style'...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. She's deleted her (recent) posts here, too. Including her apology to Dave, et al re: PA. Weird. :Huh:

JennyT

CaoPaux said:
Huh. She's deleted her (recent) posts here, too. Including her apology to Dave, et al re: PA. Weird.

In the forums on her site, she had made a number of posts about how she was sorry she had gone with PA. Last I saw, she was referring people to a place called Writersworld (a POD publisher, I think).

The site has so many rolling and flashing and vibrating items on it, it could set off a seizure.
:ROFL:

I'm sorry you had such a hard time with her. Makes my little experience sound pretty tame.

Just don't try unsubscribing..then she'll really freak out on ya
Well, I haven't received any e-mails from her after the "reek [sic] havoc" message. Maybe I should block her address before she finds out I reported her newsletters as spam. :tongue

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hiya,

Closing this thread. Rose (AngelEyes) has left this forum, and did make a conscious effort not to cause trouble here after her reinstatement. I'll just leave it at that.

jane

Registered
Reaction score
women on writing

Hi, Has anyone heard anything derogatory about how Rose and Shawn DesRochers operate?
Thanks, Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.