• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Greenleaf Book Group (Clint Greenleaf)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like a distributor, rather than an agency.

http://www.greenleafbookgroup.com/

Greenleaf Book Group is a consulting firm and distributor for small and independent publishers. We distribute books nationwide to bookstores and libraries through wholesalers, online, direct to retailers, and direct to consumers. As a consulting firm or "incubator," Greenleaf selects small and independent presses who have a vision that can be cultivated into a successful venture; then we develop their ventures into viable businesses.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any more information on these guys? The link in the second post doesn't seem to work, and they do publish books. I got a little brochure thing from them in the mail (after submitting to them), and I'm getting a bit wary. They say they take the best of traditional publishing and self publishing (you keep all the rights for the books), while also getting a wide distribution. However, they hint at the fact that you will have to pay.

"Fees for editorial work are based on your needs as determined during the editorial analysis; they are generally structured according to the number of hours required to complete your project."

However, they do seem to be successful...
http://www.greenleafbookgroup.com/author_press_room.cfm

They also appear to charge for design... "Design fees vary according to genre, format, and page count, and are quoted after your manuscript is accepted for publication."

It also appears that you have to contribute to the price of printing the books.

However, they're pretty up front about all this.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It does look like they're putting more emphasis on their self-publishing services nowadays. Having built-in distribution is a big plus; I'll bet they're pricey, though.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
They're a good company and only take people who are financially serious about having a successful book. Very selective the last I heard. I think they require around a $2,800 distribution set-up fee and about $20,000 in marketing/advertising upfront. They also started their own publishing imprint, but I have no idea how that works.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
great. There's no way I can afford that. The distribution fee, maybe, but I don't have 20k lying around. Then again, I shouldn't get ahead of myself. I'll probably be rejected anyway.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
In order to be considered for any indie distributor, you need to come up with advertising and marketing $$. They need to know their investment in every title is worth the amount of time and resources they pour into pitching their catalog. Distribution is big boy publishing and not for the faint of heart or weak of spirit.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Understood, but 20 K is a lot of money. Especially for an eighteen year old with no credit history. lol. I was always under the impression it was the publisher's job to advertise and market the book (with the author's help of course.)

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Understood, but 20 K is a lot of money. Especially for an eighteen year old with no credit history. lol. I was always under the impression it was the publisher's job to advertise and market the book (with the author's help of course.)
Well, they did say they were combining "the best of traditional publishing and self publishing," so, yes, you're going to have to absorb some of the book production or advertising costs. I just don't know where.

Look at it this way; whenever you see any variation of "the best of both worlds," understand that it means you're gonna pay for it. For the life of me, I don't get how anyone can combine "traditional" publishing and vanity press and say the author is getting the best of anything. Maybe I'm just missing something here.

Only way you're going to keep your money where it belongs is if you publish with a good trade publisher who already has distribution in place.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Well, they rejected my manuscript. Just got a form letter today. lol.

They judged my submission in three areas. Content, overall quality, and sales potential.

I failed sales potential.

They referred me to another publisher/distributor, Morgan James publishing.

And that, as they say, is that, when it comes to my experience with Greenleaf. For what it's worth, they were pretty fasy.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks victoria, I'll be sure to avoid them then.

MariaVogtWrites

Registered
Reaction score
"For the life of me, I don't get how anyone can combine "traditional" publishing and vanity press and say the author is getting the best of anything. Maybe I'm just missing something here."
When they say that, they are referring to royalties received. So the best of both worlds according to them, is having the distribution of a traditional publishing house, but more control over content by covering some of the costs for editing, design, printing etc, etc. (like self publishing) but with a higher royalty 50-70% (which is considered the best part)

Well, they did say they were combining "the best of traditional publishing and self publishing," so, yes, you're going to have to absorb some of the book production or advertising costs. I just don't know where.

Look at it this way; whenever you see any variation of "the best of both worlds," understand that it means you're gonna pay for it. For the life of me, I don't get how anyone can combine "traditional" publishing and vanity press and say the author is getting the best of anything. Maybe I'm just missing something here.

Only way you're going to keep your money where it belongs is if you publish with a good trade publisher who already has distribution in place.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
"For the life of me, I don't get how anyone can combine "traditional" publishing and vanity press and say the author is getting the best of anything. Maybe I'm just missing something here."
When they say that, they are referring to royalties received. So the best of both worlds according to them, is having the distribution of a traditional publishing house, but more control over content by covering some of the costs for editing, design, printing etc, etc. (like self publishing) but with a higher royalty 50-70% (which is considered the best part)

Do you have experience with this particular publisher? Can you update what's been said on this thread?

Also, welcome! Head over to the New Members forum to introduce yourself.

Reactions: Brigid Barry

Mels07052

Registered
Reaction score
I have spoken with Greenleaf and am waiting for their proposal for my book. Not sure I will go this route yet, just considering both avenues including traditional and hybrid publishing. They seem legit to me. Yes the cost factor is there, but they know the business well and they only take about 10-12 out of 1,000 submissions. I'm only considering because if you go traditional, if you're not a well known author, the bulk of marketing will be on you. A publicist is about 5,000-6,000 a month...if you hire one for 6 months (which I know from other areas in my life, you need to have publicist start 6 months before opening/publishing to get the momentum going) So that's $30,000 right there. The major publishers put the bulk of marketing money into the established authors that they know they will see big returns on. So, you will be left to do most of your own marketing. Even if you don't hire a publicist, you will still spend at least 5,000-10,000 trying to market yourself and the results will be less than stellar if you're not a professional marketing expert. So, again, no matter how you slice it, you are dropping big money. I would rather pay that to an established company with a sound marketing plan and include the fact that they can get your book into physical bookstores and libraries, which you won't be able to do on your own.
Anyhow, it's a personal choice that I haven't made yet. But out of all the hybrid publishers out there, Greenleaf seems to be the most legit. I have looked at Manhattan Publishing (I think that's the name) and they have a fancy website and look great on the surface, but then I researched and found out that their parent companies (they have multiple) have had lots of lawsuits, so I'm Leary of them.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With small, under-capitalized trade publishers, there's a very good chance you'll be required to shoulder some of the promotional burden, e.g. using your social media platforms to spread the word about your book. This is not the case with bigger, better established trade publishers.

If any publisher requires you to shoulder any of the marketing burden (getting booksellers - brick-and-mortar or online - to carry your book), then that's a very good reason to turn down a publisher's contract.

Reactions: lizmonster