• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Brutarian Magazine

snowdog

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone familiar with this magazine? I have to say I'm a little disturbed that this magazine's main page is a MySpace site:

http://www.ralan.com/sfpro/listings/brutaria.htm

Also, no mention of word count, just...novella length-which if I recall correctly is anywhere between 17,500-40,000 words. Magazines are usually very specific on word counts.

Instinct is telling me to pass this one by, but I'd like other opinions.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
They're SFWA pro. I've never subbed to them myself, but that's because I don't write what they seem to want.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I've subbed to them but never sold to them. They're a well-regarded mag.
Nothing dodgy about them

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
Crap. Their MSN address no longer works (at least it bounced my emails back). So I sent my submission to them via the gmail address. Then I saw that he only wants submissions pasted into the email body (which I didn't do). This isnt the first time I've submitted to them, but it seems as though the guidelines have changed and I just royally screwed up.

Of course, because there are no guidelines on the MySpace page, one has to google and can find several different guidelines, some of which don't mention pasting the story in the email...

:rant:

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Crap. Their MSN address no longer works (at least it bounced my emails back). So I sent my submission to them via the gmail address. Then I saw that he only wants submissions pasted into the email body (which I didn't do). This isnt the first time I've submitted to them, but it seems as though the guidelines have changed and I just royally screwed up.

Of course, because there are no guidelines on the MySpace page, one has to google and can find several different guidelines, some of which don't mention pasting the story in the email...

:rant:

Since it seems you didn't submit it correctly (I'm assuming you attached your document), that means it'll probably be deleted without being read. So, resubmit it the correct way. You have nothing to lose:)

LukeS.

Registered
Reaction score
I've never been able to find their guidelines, and I've tried two different email addresses. I can't even contact them through their Myspace page! I guess they really don't want submissions, or maybe they do them only by invitation?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have a copy of the magazine? What does it say in the masthead?

Snooper52

Registered
Reaction score
Duotrope has booted them, but SFWA lists them

Crap! I just submitted to them with an attachment since there were no submission guidelines. Since then I see that Duotrope has removed their listing for that very reason. But SFWA still lists them as a qualifying publication--what gives?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
People who have been previously published in Brutarian might wish to know that their publication is SFWA qualifying - that listing says nothing about the current status of the magazine.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
SFWA qualification is based on rate-of-pay, in business for a certain period of time, and circulation.

Markets may not be ideal for lots of reasons, but if they pay five cents a word, have a decent circulation, and have been in business for a couple of years they're listed.