Word Count for Mainstream Fiction ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been marketing my work wrong for like, ever. Never to late to change, is it?

So what's a good length for mainstream fiction? This has thriller and military elements with a bit of romance. It is sitting at 156K after extensive cutting over a couple of years. Try sending it out or keep cutting?

-MM

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Did you change the title of your book too? I still think you should write something else and then have this perfect "finished" book in reserve. I am a fan of writing ahead.

Rena Andra

Registered
Reaction score
The word count thing has my throat in a vice too. I performed what I call a slaughterfest on my manuscript, and brought it down to a tidy 355000 words. I searched for places to slice it into a series, and it can't be done without scraping out necessary elements. I believe it is doomed to wait for three hundred years, when it will be excavated by great horned owls or some damn thing.
RA

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
The agent for the book I collaborated on...

won't even begin sending it out until it's no more than 100k. Same mantra: "They won't even look at a first-time author's manuscript unless it's under 100k words."

Ouch. It's being edited, line by line, now with that intent. :cry:

I'm not a big fan of "them." LOL

Rena Andra

Registered
Reaction score
100k...That would be about 28.16 percent of the entire ms. I guess for lack of a better term, this ms is screwed. I went through all 9 of my ms, and find that only three are anywhere near that number. Only one is under 100k, the other two are 145k and 181k.
Geez, someone take away the calculator on desktop!
RA

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, we're not writing stories, we're writing product.

But there are plenty of first times that come in over 100K. Does it make it harder? Hell, I don't know, it doesn't seem to matter what I send in.

-MM

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
The word count thing has my throat in a vice too. I performed what I call a slaughterfest on my manuscript, and brought it down to a tidy 355000 words. I searched for places to slice it into a series, and it can't be done without scraping out necessary elements. I believe it is doomed to wait for three hundred years, when it will be excavated by great horned owls or some damn thing.
RA

:eek: 355,000 words! Egad! Editing would take... years!

-MM

Rena Andra

Registered
Reaction score
Well shiat. The way you put that MM, makes my gut sorta enlarge. This particular work was in progress for six years, editing for three. Damn it, but I think I need a drink. It's not that I can't edit, I just don't want to bugger it up. It's bloody well perfect as it is, I just have to find a reasonable readfreak editor to sop it up into their title list!
RA

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
I'll piggyback here with my word count question....

Does an appendix count toward the total word count for a novel? I can't find a definitive answer to that question.

Thanks! :)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What about self publishing it? Just for self for yourself to see how that goes... Like through LuLu and just write something else?

JrFFKacy

Rookie Firefighter
Registered
Reaction score
355,000 words? Goodness, I'm trying to make my 51,000word manuscript grow up to 70,000, I can't imagine ever being able to write that much! Too bad you can't find a way to cut it up into smaller pieces, it seems a shame to waste so many words! lol.

still alive

Registered
Reaction score
I'm lurking. But I have to say: As hard as it is to cut; it's harder not to sell! Thank you very much....

wanderlust

Registered
Reaction score
DON'T CUT!! If it took 6 years to write, and you're cutting 2/3 of it- thats 4 years of your life you're looking to cut! Argh.... that's frustrating

Can you write another nove instead? 100k limit is for FIRST time authors, right? SO...write a 100k novel, then try submitting this one again..just a thought. Why mess with perfection anyways? It won't be half the novel (literally) it is now...

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
My first 'epic' was a bloated 235K. If I were so inclined (which I am not at the moment) I could easily half that with everything I've learned the last three years.

How long did it take to write and polish?

Reaction score
"The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" is a triple trilogy. 3 x 3 volume sets. 9 books.
All were over 500 pages and I bought everyone. I have no idea what each word count was or the total, but if you wrote a worthy 355k or 235k words, then chop nothing, look to make them into 90-100k word series.
If you can't or won't try to sell that as unpublished authors, then write the 80-100k #2 and call it #1 and publish that b4 you publish your original work.
My #1 is 114k, too many words they said. #2 is 84k, and interchangeable as to what you read first. #3 is 104k and needs to have knowledge and scene setting from #1 or #2, preferably both, from my POV anyways!

Ms.rachel

Registered
Reaction score
can you cut several stories from it that can stand alone or be read as a series? just a thought.

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Ms.Rachel. Could you turn it into a series. It's just something to think about. Good luck.
Jane

SarahMacManus

Registered
Reaction score
"Thomas Covenant" is not mainstream, it's fantasy. Word counts for fantasy can run up to 120K for first time authors and well over 150K for proven authors.

A first time mainstream novel should land around 100K.

CarolSanDiego

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolcallicotte.com
Here's a link to a blog Colleen Lindsay, Agent with FinePrint Literary, did on word counts. Matches up well to everything else I've seen.

http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2008/03/on-word-counts-and-novel-length.html

Whenever I hear about word counts that go way over accepted guidelines, I wonder about story structure and tightness. Maybe putting those works aside until you can look at them with an objective (and hopefully less emotionally attached) eye could help. We all have to kill some of our darlings! Best of luck.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
I think perhaps shelving the larger work for now might not be a bad thing. Sure, if you can stand cutting it and you feel that it would be the best introduction of you as a writer to the world, then go ahead. Often I hear other writers saying that hacking apart a manuscript is very cathartic and enriching work.

However, it might not be so bad to really sit down and pound out a shorter work. I know made that sound like it was something to do between go to the grocery store and build an addition on your house completely by yourself. Of course, I may also feel this way because I find it difficult to self-edit.

I wonder how many authors had their first works published? I mean isn't it usually like the third or fourth novel one writes before you get published? So write those other, shorter books. Then you can sell those older works and the same people who shit on them before will call them "unvarnished, raw, and exciting." Again these are the same people who would see how long your "first novel" is and send it back probably unread.

Good luck. Let us know how this turns out!

Last edited:

DannySherbet

Wellversed in procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
355,000 words? Goodness, I'm trying to make my 51,000word manuscript grow up to 70,000, I can't imagine ever being able to write that much! Too bad you can't find a way to cut it up into smaller pieces, it seems a shame to waste so many words! lol.

Ir's a shame there isn't a way for the 'overwriters' to donate their excess words to the 'underwriters'.

Status
Not open for further replies.