Kids? Prejudism?

chowmein

Registered
Reaction score
MY friend and I both want to be come published authors of fiction books. We did some research and came across one Problem: Age. Most places wont accept you under the age of eighteen and we're both fifteen.

I've noticed that every publishing agency I've Checked on does allow people under the age of 18 to be published. Its really annoying. Some of my teachers have told me to check into getting something published. I've looked it up and I can't.

Most people think that just because where young, we're ignorant, or just flat out stupid. Yes, most teenagers and children do not write properly, but what about the small percent that do?

Are there any publishers that will publish the work of a teenager?
If so, could you please give me some information on them?

(Sorry for any typo's redundancies, and any information is appreciated.)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Many legitimate agents will take on teen writers (I, and some other teen writers on this board, can attest to that!), and if a legitimate agent takes you on, many major publishing houses will look at your work despite your age.

I haven't seen any agents advertising a Nobody-under-18 policy. Where have you been looking for agents?

ETA: Are you talking about publishers or agents?

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Chowmein, it's going to come down to the work. If you can produce marketable work that total strangers find compelling, an agent is going to interested.

If the work is that interesting (or you are well known or controversial enough), and can make money, and you are willing to keep looking, in a professional manner, you will find a home.

Read that last line again, there are a lot of caveats in there, and they all count.

Keep writing. Share your work with other writers (like the Share Your Work board here). This is a good place for you to be.

chowmein

Registered
Reaction score
i dont remember all of where we looked but we went to the sites for all the publishers on my books shelf...(too many to name but the first one we went to was HarperCollins i think is the name. thats who published one of my heroes, Garth Nix) and either we couldn't find any info about the publishing or it said something that we took to be as: No One Under The Age OF 18....

were still gonna look for info, and ill post some of my stories (probably the only one i havent written myself bored of) and pray to god someone finds me

(hehe....she'd probably smack me for that...shes pagan or something...i dont remember, and we argue about that stuff like two year olds over a toy...just thought id tell you this...)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It can't have been HarperCollins, because they've published lots of teen authors (and even 12-year-old author Nancy Yi Fan).

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the big publishers don't have info up on their sites because you need an agent to submit to them.

And if I were you, I wouldn't expect someone to find me here. Most agents and publishers already have tons of clients, and they're not going to pore through message boards to find talent. In basically all cases, you have to go to them.

chowmein

Registered
Reaction score
It can't have been HarperCollins, because they've published lots of teen authors (and even 12-year-old author Nancy Yi Fan).

that one was probably a site where we couldn't find a link....like i said we poured through every publisher on my bookshelf. that took forever, and i dont remember all of them individually. i just rembmer that one because of Nix...

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chowmein, few if any publishers or agents ask authors to include their age in a query letter. You can query as many publishers and agents as you want. If one makes an offer, then you can discuss your age and the legalities of signing a contract.

Duotrope lists a heap of publishers: http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx as well as a heap more short story markets. None that I ran across have an age limit for authors.

chowmein

Registered
Reaction score
Chowmein, few if any publishers or agents ask authors to include their age in a query letter. You can query as many publishers and agents as you want. If one makes an offer, then you can discuss your age and the legalities of signing a contract.

Duotrope lists a heap of publishers: http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx as well as a heap more short story markets. None that I ran across have an age limit for authors.

Thanks!:)
now on to my next two problems...parents...and the fact that my computer doesn't have a word processor or whatever, like microsoft word (my brother built it...no sound card either....)...o well....

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Before you worry about getting published you ought to create a body of work. Novels, short stories, ideas for full length novels etc. No computer? That shouldn't stop you- Pens. pencils and paper work fine then when you finally get a word program you can edit while typing it in. Several authors I know still do their first drafts by hand.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Unless the content is adult in nature (e.g. erotica) there are clearly a great many published authors under 18. Perhaps you should double check where you think you saw this?

Last edited:

chowmein

Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of free word processors available online to download, such as Open Office and Q10. My favorite by far is Rough Draft, which I use in place of Word for creative writing:
http://www.salsbury.f2s.com/

These are a great quick and free solution to not having a word processor!

thanks, im gonna try your choice of rough draft. now i just have to dig my printer outta my closet.... the computer says one has to be attached, or at least have the driver installed...