Not open for further replies.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Does this qualify as a rejection?

"This prompt reply is to let you know that my client list is full, however I will keep your details on file."

If I'm kept on file, then... ?

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
Huh. :Shrug: I remember getting an email from an agent telling me her list was full right now but I should try back later. It wasn't prompt, but it was at least clear. That's just. . .huh.:Shrug:

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
I'll take it as good news because I need good news. ;)

I would. :D

And in a few months, I'd send a email politely inquiring as to whether or not she was open to submissions again, and would she like the material resent. But that's just me. I'm sure someone will come along shortly with a different opinion.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
Does this qualify as a rejection?

"This prompt reply is to let you know that my client list is full, however I will keep your details on file."

If I'm kept on file, then... ?

I suspect that the "file" is cylindrical and sits on the floor next to the agent's desk.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I've never heard of an agent doing this.

The agent might have found your query too intriguing to reject it entirely. He might get back to it later.

Or this might be his version of a gentle let-down. The odd thing is that most agents have no problem with an outright rejection softened down with the elegantly vague phrase, "Sorry, not right for me."

In any case, don't hold your breath or think that you owe this agent anything. Keep querying.

Oh, if you do get rep elsewhere, you should still write back to this agent and let him know you're pulling your query. It's professional politeness, and maybe just a little mild gloat. ;)

kuatolives

Gonzo Journalist
Registered
Reaction score
I believe its a message not to query again.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Here's a thought – what if it means exactly what it says? That the agent has all the clients he or she can currently handle, but if something happens and one of those clients disappears, you'll be on file.

I know that's a ridiculously optimistic assessment, but what's the harm in it? It's not like you'd resubmit to someone who told you they can't take on another client anyway, so might as well spin it positively.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have no choice but to take it as a form rejection. If something happens in the future to prove this wrong, great. But for now, move on and put it behind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.