• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Cheney Agency / Elyse Cheney Literary Associates

cdg1951

Registered
Reaction score
does anyone know if ms. cheney is with greenburger or on her own. i find several different listings on the web and can't seem to figure out which is accurate.

thanks!

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody have any recent info on this agency?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Publishers Marketplace reports steady sales (ranging from "nice" to "major") for both her and Nicole Steen; the most recent being Jan 19th to Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cao - I'd seen they had fairly impressive sales posted to PM. I went ahead and sent a query to Nicole on 1/19. I'm curious if anyone has any recent communication or turnaround time experiences with this agency?

Last edited:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I snailed them a query 12/7, Leukman, and received SASE reject on 12/29. Pretty good turnaround for snail, I'd say.

River Rat

Registered
Reaction score
Turn Around

I snail mailed a query to Nicole Steen on 1-20 and received an e-mail from her requesting a full on 1-31. I sent it as an attachment, as requested, and have not heard anything since. I figure I'll give her three months and then send a polite e-mail asking as to status.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Curious you both have had responses to your snail mail queries. Though I'd read on AQ that Nicole didn't take email queries, the website provides for that method, so I opted to do so. But I've had no response to my query from early January.

So today I'm putting it in the mail, and hoping I'm not duplicating something that was intentionally ignored. :D

White Ginger

Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Nicole Steen yesterday and just got an email request for full ms. I'm thrilled!

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I queried Nicole Steen last week and received a quick request for my full ms from her boss Elyse Cheney. Others' experience in their turnaround time would be welcome as my non-exclusive submission with this agency is open-ended at this point.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Nicole Steen last week and received a quick request for my full ms from her boss Elyse Cheney. Others' experience in their turnaround time would be welcome as my non-exclusive submission with this agency is open-ended at this point.

Don't put all your eggs in this one basket, keep querying and sending out partials or fulls as requested. At the time I got an agent, I had 4 fulls out and numerous partials. I still haven't heard from 3 of the fulls and it's been over 2 months since they got them....and in the meantime, I found an agent that loved my book.

River Rat

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Egyptian Goddess!
By the way, it took Ms. Steen three months to send a personal reply to my full. Alas, it was a rejection but what she told me prompted me to take another look at the manuscript. Rewriting as we speak. I really appreciated her telling me WHY she was rejected the submission.

Mercurio Cavaldi

A shrubbery!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denizkuypers.com

I've seen some of you mention you queried Nicole Steen directly. Did you actually email her? QueryTracker lists her email address, but the agency website asks all queries to go to the general email inbox ([email protected]).

The reason I ask is, Elyse doesn't rep YA but Nicole does and my book is YA.

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mercurio: Steen's direct email address is listed in agentquery.com. Querytracker, however, lists only the general mailbox. Their so-called website appears to be a mere afterthought -- just a single page with the agency's title and the names of the two agents and little more. Funny how some agencies couldn't care less about their online presence.

Amyers27: no idea. Cheney seems to be very responsive, though.

Last edited:

River Rat

Registered
Reaction score
I snail mailed my original query To Nicole Steen. She responded in ten days with a request for a full.

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
Snail mailed query to Nicole, request for full ten days later as well. Super excited!

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Egyptian Goddess!
By the way, it took Ms. Steen three months to send a personal reply to my full. Alas, it was a rejection but what she told me prompted me to take another look at the manuscript. Rewriting as we speak. I really appreciated her telling me WHY she was rejected the submission.

Hi River Rat,

I'm sorry you received a rejection, but am glad her personal response on the reason was so helpful to you.

I also have a full out with her. The three month mark is coming up in September.

I was wondering, did Nicole offer to look at your manuscript again if you made some of her suggested changes?

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I sent my query off 8/29 and got a request for a full ms today. Request came from the assistant so there's no way to tell whether Cheney or Steen asked to see it (or neither, for that matter). I'm excited of course that someone has actually asked to see the whole thing, but also trying hard to temper that excitement, because QueryTracker shows that they don't ask for partials and that EC asks for fulls of 14% of queries, NS asks for fulls of 21% of queries. Which is good, in a way -- they're clearly more willing than a lot of agents to take a closer look. Not so quick to say no. But it also means they must say no to the vast majority of the fulls they ask to see.

I do think they're smart to ask for the full instead of the partial. If it's all electronic anyway, I can't see the harm in just asking for the full right away. It's just as easy to delete the full ms. from your computer after reading the first five pages as it is to delete a partial ms.

Anyhoo...now the wait begins.

brutusb

progress not perfection
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's been two weeks since I submitted my full to Nicole and I agree with you, it's so nice to think that someone is actually considering the whole work and not judging it just on the first three chapters or ten pages.
It's funny I've become immune to rejections now to the point that if I don't receive at least a rejection or two a week it feels like something is missing in my life. Who knows maybe this will be the one or at the very least maybe there will be some constructive criticism that will point me in the right direction.
Good luck everyone and I'll report back once I hear from them.