Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

View Poll Results: What screenwriting software do you use? (You can select more than one option)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Draft

28 43.08%
  • Movie Magic Screenwriter

13 20.00%
  • CeltX

21 32.31%
  • Another script editing program (like Screenwriter Pro)

9 13.85%
  • Another free editing program or macro (like Scriptsmart)

7 10.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What script editing software do you use?

Arrow What script editing software do you use?

Hi just a fun poll to see what other members are using to write their scrips on. If you have any comments on the program you are using please post them here.

I've been using Final Draft since version 5 and I find it easy and intuitive - I had some issued when I moved from a PC to Mac (Missed having the buttons where you could select CHARACTER, ACTION, SCENE HEADING etc... But I've learnt to use the mac shortcut keys instead). The older versions of Final Draft certainly had some issues; compatibility between Mac & PC, hick ups when converting from US Letter to A4 paper, etc... But now it seems to be quite a stable program if used correctly.
    Jon-Luke

“Those who restrain their desires, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.”
    ~ William Blake

figuring it all out coneflower2001's Avatar
    CeltX ...I was using and paying for ScriptBuddy...but then I found out about Celtx on AW, and loved it.
    Training for the Danskin Tri in 2009!

YA Historical Novel "Shadow and Rails" (14,500 words and counting)

Scribbler SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    I "won" a copy of MM2000 in a ScriptPIMP contest free draw a few years ago, which was rather nice. I've tried the others but still prefer MM for its robustness and user preference flexibility. Each to their own personal choice; they all do the biz. As always it's not the tool that counts, it's the writer.

-Derek
    Check out Bunneh's MS Wish List site!
    Agent "want" tweets and word wars!

Check out my story in Timeless Tales Magazine's Perseus & Medusa issue!
    My web page! | My Sci-Fi webcomics!

Catching some rays. SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar
    I use MM mostly, but I have also have a copy of SceneWriter Pro (which I don't care much for). I also find some of the free BBC scripts programs helpful. I use them on my office computer (only during my lunch hour, you understand) because I don't want to load MM on that computer.

Arranger Of Disorder WriteKnight's Avatar
    30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
    Started on "Scriptware" back in the early nineties... which I'm pretty sure was one of the first. Had great market penetration, but then FD took off. Still use it, fast, easy, flexible.

Meh, you go with what you got.

practical experience, FTW odocoileus's Avatar
    MM6 on my main computer.

Celtx or Scriptsmart if I'm using some other computer. Celtx in particular comes in handy b/c I can download it to wherever I'm working.
    It's the dirty story of a dirty man
    And his clinging wife doesn't understand

I've always used Screenforge and it's great. I've discovered Celtx recently and although it has some really useful features, it lacks a lot of auto-correction and auto-formatting stuff I've become used to, which is a pain! The page count works out slightly higher in Celtx too.

I'm surprised Final Draft seems to be the least used and yet it seems to be marketed the most and the most readily available...
    Jon-Luke

“Those who restrain their desires, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.”
    ~ William Blake

Scribbler SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    You really can't go by what 10 voters say. While Celtx is finding fans among new aspiring screenwriters, FD and MM are well-established tools favored and endorsed by many pros and long-time aspiring screenwriters, who aren't going to change their habits on a whim.

-Derek
    Check out Bunneh's MS Wish List site!
    Agent "want" tweets and word wars!

Check out my story in Timeless Tales Magazine's Perseus & Medusa issue!
    My web page! | My Sci-Fi webcomics!

I use FD because a friend gave me their copy after only having it a couple of weeks and decided not to go into script writing. I love it, it's easy to use, but expensive, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

I helped write this!!!!http://www.ibnbattuta.tv/

figuring it all out Steven Howard's Avatar
    Celtx is free and it runs on Linux, which is also free. That's a big draw for amateurs like me.

I've been looking a Celtx, as an AD I find the story boarding option to be quite interesting, does anyone know if you can change the fonts and the layout of the storyboards?
    Jon-Luke

~ William Blake

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I found CeltX while I was trying to avoid spending 200 bucks on Final Draft, and while it's a very good program, it's open source. And while open source can be good, it always lacks in a lot of areas, especially documentation. And I found that I just didn't need all of the other pre-production features, which rendered it kind of pointless. I broke down and bought Final Draft 7 for the Mac, and it is expensive as hell, but it was worth it. It is easily the easiest and strongest screenwriting program on the market. I guess I could have just pirated it, but I prefer the software people get paid for their work.

Final Draft is the way to go. It is expensive, but it worth every cent.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin slm22186's Avatar
    I'm using Final Draft. I like it. You still have to format a bit but overall it's a good program .

Final Draft was given to me by an author who thought I showed promise and talent.

I'm still hoping he was right.

Writing and learning
    Fade In Pro
    Last edited by sekime; 02-09-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: I'm very happy I'm using Fade In Pro now!

No, it really doesn't.
    Scrivener for the research/outline/treatment. Celtx to write the actual script. Maybe one Christmas I will treat myself to Final Draft.

practical experience, FTW aikigypsy's Avatar
    CeltX because it's free, and I'm just trying out screenwriting (I mostly write novels and short non-fiction).

Scrivener for research/treatment/planning and Fade In Pro for the script.

practical experience, FTW
    Open Office. Yeah. I format everything manually, same way I did with Microsoft Word.
    Check out this book I didn't write.
    The author will happily wag her tail, if you do.
    www.laughingdog-by-dcburns.com

figuring it all out
    Movie magic for me. Used to have final draft but took an online class at UCLA and MM was required. I guess i've just gotten used to it because i still use it.

I use Celtx for a first draft or for short scripts I plan to use, and FD for feature scripts and any final scripts.

I prefer Celtx out of the two, though.

practical experience, FTW thorjansen's Avatar
    I futzed around with Fade In for a bit, just out of curiosity really. Not free, but pretty cheap. I have no idea how people rate this software, I have MM too (though it only works on my PPC until I upgrade).

Anyone use "Save the Cat" software, based on the book by Blake Snyder?

https://www.writersstore.com/save-th...&rid=233816951
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work.” Artist Chuck Close

"For all my dreams, I am what I do." --David K. Reynolds, Constructive Living guru

blogging (sporadically) at http://www.katjuniper.blogspot.com, tweeting (sometimes) as @KatJuniper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast