• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

John A. Ware Literary Agency

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with John Ware? Or any any info that might be useful about this agent? Thanks.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I did read that before I posted. Maybe I should have included it.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Here's a brief interview. And photo, in case you'd like to know what he looks like.
Oh, and a commenter here says he was courteous and helpful, although she isn't one of his clients.
Couldn't find a website, just his AgentQuery page.

-Barbara

Richard Martin

Villager
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mixedanimal.blogspot.com
I still have a letter from John Ware when he was an editor at Doubleday. I'd sent him the ms from my first novel, unagented, and he sent me a personal letter praising the writing, encouraging me, and even suggesting a couple agents to send the book to. Nothing came of that first book, and it was many years before anything came of any book, but a letter like that is priceless spiritual food that keeps a writer writing, and I'm still grateful for it.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From The Lunch:

John A. Ware, 71, died April 27 in New York from complications of leukemia. He launched the John Ware Literary Agency in 1978 after working as an agent at Curtis Brown and before then, eight years as an editor at Doubleday. Among his clients during his career were Jon Krakauer, Jennifer Niven, Stephen Ambrose, and Caroline Daniel. Donations may be sent to the New York Philharmonic, the Police Athletic League, or City Harvest.