• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tease Publishing

para

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about them?
http://www.teasepublishingllc.com/

I googled but I couldn't really find anything. Except for one of the editorial staff. And I'm not sure it's the same person because she seems to have a history of non-fiction.
Thanks.

para

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. They've opened submissions for the summer. It wasn't listed on their site when I checked but I've seen the call for submissions on a couple of messageboards & loops.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My first impressions was there was a 'co-op' nature to it, but I got jumped on and told this wasn't the case. I don't know. They are newish and there are more than 50 romance epublishers out there. At this point I'd need a reason to rate them above more established epresses with larger readerships (I would presume).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
My first impressions was there was a 'co-op' nature to it, but I got jumped on and told this wasn't the case.
That might've stemmed from their membership in SLF's "Small Press Co-Op". I don't find any sign of subsidy from the author side, though.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes well, several of their authors objected quite strongly to my use of the term. This caused me to experience a precipitous loss of interest in them (c.f. proudly co-op outfits like Alinar). I would doubt they charge fees beyond genuine shared costs of doing business. The people involved don't demontrate any desire to profit of other authors and seem to be relatively selective re: who is involved.

para

Registered
Reaction score
This was posted on one of my reader loops. The bold is mine.
Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:54 am (PDT)

Tease Publishing is Looking to fill several sections of the company for the fall season! Now a Year in business, the publisher is a small press print publisher, and has been growing steadily! Are you the kinda person Tease is looking for to fill some small positions, get free books and other goodies? Well read on!

***Permission to Forward***

Employment Opportunities:

Loop Moderator: Tease Publishing is looking for a motivated
individual who enjoys chatting on the loops and learning about new books. This position would require 4-7 days a month time, usually loop chats, but we do have live chats set as well. We would like the applicant to be able to lead discussions, and keep the lulls from happening as well. The Applicant will also have the authority to give away several e books for chats. This individual will also be the TeaseReaders and Tease Tarot Group Mods, and will be responsible for approving messages and getting rid of spammers.

Compensation: This is not a paid position, though the Moderator will receive free books, both in e book and print.

Street Team Leader and members: Tease Publishing will be opening a new promotional venue in Fall 2008. As a street team, members will be asked to give out promotional items (from bookmarks to postcards to buttons to other goodies) at events, conventions and conferences.
Applicants need to be highly motivated, enjoy talking to and meeting new people, and have a working knowledge of the books they are touting.

Street Team Leader(s) will be asked to collect promotional materials for events/cons/conferences and distribute the swag at said events to the street team members, and help man the tables at events. For a full list of responsibilities please email.

Compensation/Perks: This is an unpaid position, though street team members will receive free ebook's, print books and in the case of the con goers, apparel for said con. All members will be entered to win monthly street team only drawings, for Tease goodies and print books.

Compensation for Team Leaders: This is an unpaid position to start with, but has the possibility for monetary compensation in the future.
Leaders will receive a Street Team Jacket, with their name on it, and a special set of leader specific goodies.

Newsletter Moderator and coordinator: An online position, this
person would be working with the EIC to get the newsletter out every month. They would be moderator of the newsletter, and in charge of several key aspects of the newsletter, including address updates and newsletter uploads. Tease Publishing will be starting their official newsletter come October 2008.

Compensation: This is an unpaid position, but will receive free books, goodies and other incentives.

For all Marketing Department employment opportunities, please email Stacee at [email protected] with the position in the subject line.
Looks like somebody reads Writer Unboxed. Perhaps they should have read Dear Author as well. Got to say this really doesn't fill me with confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

WishWords

Registered
Reaction score
Two of the authors in my writers group had their work accepted by Tease. I was a little uneasy about the way they handled editing and contracts. I don't think either lady knows how payment is going to work even after one of the books is available for sale. They don't strike me as predators, just very inexperienced.

WishWords

Registered
Reaction score
Their editing for novella length works only takes about two days. The authors were notified that their stories were accepted, but they didn't get the contracts until weeks later. The contracts didn't appear to include information on payment or rights. I was getting the details from one of the authors, so I could be wrong on that last part. They also accepted additional material from both authors, sight unseen.

I don't think they are bad publishers, just inexperienced.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
If they are a co-op what seems unsual might not be so unusual--like once you are in, there is no vetting of work.

Dress me in a donkey-ear hat and call me a dumb-ass, but what on earth is everyone talking about? What is a "co-op" in this context?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Dress me in a donkey-ear hat and call me a dumb-ass, but what on earth is everyone talking about? What is a "co-op" in this context?

A group of writers who pool their resources for joint self-publishing projects. The idea is that by working together rather than singly they can save money and make more of an impact on the market.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would note that co-ops and vanity are separate issues. As I said "I doubt they charge fees". All I know is I got the idea they were started by their first authors and something odd was happening in relation to proving your own cover art. I assume they have outgrown that stage? Or I got the wrong end of the stick--it happens. Or I am being thrown off by "Consisting of a maximum of 20 full time authors ... Tease Publishing" and other similar language on the site? Publishers don't general consist of authors. But if that is just a grammar issue I stand corrected.

Last edited:

KayleighJamison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kayleighjamison.com
Perhaps I don't understand the nature of a co-op (entirely possible). One of the owners is also an author, but the other is not. I haven't had to provide my own cover art for anything, I came on board fairly early I believe, but I'm just an author, I have no administrative capacity so I'm only speaking from my experience with them as an author. Oh, and as far as the fee charging, I was referencing when you said "beyond genuine shared costs of doing business." I'm not sure exactly what costs you mean - website fees overhead? Either way, I've never been responsible for anything like that.

As for the 20 author thing, I don't know if that's still in effect or not, since they have opened up submissions.

Maybe it is a co-op. *shrugs* I always thought of co-ops as more the type of thing where authors handle editing, cover art, etc on their own.

Either way, I've been happy with them so far. I'm not trying to be a rabid defender or anything (I hate when authors do that), just saying I'm satisfied.

Last edited:

StellaP

Registered
Reaction score
HI...

So Im new here *obviously* but I figured i would weigh in on this, seeing as im part of admin..

Im not sure what you mean by Co-op. If you mean that Tease Publishing as an entity contracts authors and not their work, then sure, if you mean that the authors pay for anything, then no.

Tease will only have 20 authors, thats true, and that applies to authors that do more then one book with Tease Publishing. Any author who does one book is considered a guest author at the pub. NO AUTHOR pays a DIME for editing, cover art or books. Everyone is paid every quarter, Including me.

Tease's EIC is an author yes, but the pub isnt part of the industry at all, apart from being the Pub of the company. Lemme be frank, Tease is NOT an e publisher. They are a Small press pub with an e book option, the e books allowing the authors to gain "instant gratification" for sales. Tease's first and foremost focus is their print,and getting it out to the masses. Tease has been working on getting their books picked up by several chains including Hastings, Chapters, Borders and Barnes and Noble. I know, Im the one in contact with the companies to get the books in there. Its a slow process, but its going steady. Tease is a closed pub, and will remain that way, the reason for the "Submissions" opening is Tabbitha and Tonya are looking or several genres to fill out the roster.

If you have any questions about Tease pop at Tab at [email protected] or Tonya 2 [email protected] both of the are 110% about answering questions.

Now... as a tease author:

Im very happy with them, and my sister and I have 4 pubs. They work actively to put us in print, and to get our work out there. They do it for all their print books, as thats their focus.

**now please excuse the spelling errors, Its almost midnight, Im in Scotland visiting my sister for her wedding, and I just got back from dinner with the fam. Im tired and coherent, but spelling is just a slight bit beyond me right now.**

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Kayleigh, thanks for the info about the owners. It clears it up for me that there are two owners and one and specifically not an author. That means I lead you all on a wild goose chase on the whole co-op thing for which I apologise.

Stella, I mean that most publishers literally consist of their owners, assets and staff, they contract works from their authors. The authors neither own nor work for the company and so it cannot consist of them IMHO. Generally I do see that sort of language and capped author pool when the authors collectively own the company--that is probably where I went wrong.

As for not being an epublisher. Is there something wrong with epublishing? Down-playing the e-format would seem a curiously choice when most small presses in this genre area sell more ebooks than print even when they do have in store distribution. Also ebooks are not second best in my opinion, but another alternative which some readers strongly prefer.

I haven't yet seen a sales report from an author with Tease, but I am always interested to: ERECsite.com If Tease is "NOT an e publisher. They are a Small press pub with an e book option" then the point is moot as I wouldn't be listing them on an epublisher site specific to presses seriously committed to ebooks as a format either primarily or in parallel with print.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They are a Small press pub with an e book option, the e books allowing the authors to gain "instant gratification" for sales. Tease's first and foremost focus is their print,and getting it out to the masses.
Out of some 50 books, I'm finding one (1) print book.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Now open to general submissions. Resumed POD mid-'11.