• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Submission Service] Publishers and Agents / PublishersAndAgents.com

AConfusedWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I was referred by another writer to use [FONT=&quot]http://publishersandagents.com/. She said she find their service useful and she found a very good agent to represent her work and have it sold. Anyone has comments about this site? Thanks.
[/FONT]

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
It's a query-blasting service, and all the agents I've heard mention them, hate them. I'd be wary.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
My agent deletes everything from this service UNREAD. She wants a writer who can write their own queries. As I have said before this type of business communication is necessary for all sorts of things in the publishing world. You need to be able to do it. Save your money. Do research on AW- you will find everything you need right here (look at the sticky notes)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I was referred by another writer to use [FONT=&quot]http://publishersandagents.com/. She said she find their service useful and she found a very good agent to represent her work and have it sold. Anyone has comments about this site? Thanks.
[/FONT]

Who was the agent she found and have you checked them out over at the Bewares and Background Checks thread?

AConfusedWriter

Registered
Reaction score
my friend got Janis Donnaud from publisherandagents. i myself didn't check Janis' background but my friend was excited to have found her. I assumed she has background-checked Janis already. Beside her book was sold by Janis already so i assumed it was a legit transaction.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to your friend. Janis Donnaud is an entirely legit agent with a good reputation.
I would still be very wary of using a querying service though.

AConfusedWriter

Registered
Reaction score
it's good to know that - thanks for sharing your experience! i guess i'll stay away from it until i become desperate :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of agent blogs which discuss query letters in detail. Andrew Zack, Kristin Nelson, Rachel Vater and the late great Miss Snark to mention a few.

Markwriter

Registered
Reaction score
[Submission Service] PublishersAndAgents.net

Hi, I am a 1st time writer and need help getting agents, I found a service that sends emails to agents for me: http://www.publishersandagents.net/ has anyone use the service, does it really work?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Everything these people charge money to do, you can find out how to do for yourself here on AW. Welcome to the fold. :)

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
how does one go about getting an agent? When should an author get an agent? My book is going to be published this winter and I don't have an agent yet. DO I need one?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
c2ckim, you'll find many resources to help you in this thread in the Ask the Agent forum.

Agents do much more than just sell manuscripts to publishers--they also sell subsidiary rights, such as foreign and translation rights. So an agent can be useful for an already-contracted book. However, whether you need an agent (and whether one would be interested in representing you) depends on a variety of factors--your goals for the book and your writing career, of course, but also whether your publisher has enough marketing and distribution capability to achieve volume sales (subsidiary rights are much more likely to sell if a book has already achieved sales success), and what rights you signed away with your publishing contract (if you signed an all-rights contract, there's not much an agent can do for you).

It might make more sense to look for an agent once you have another manuscript ready to market.

- Victoria

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my second book to be published in Australia and both are being published in USA/Canada next year and I don't have an agent.

Also, if you use a service to contact agents, what are they going to think of your writing skills? But you are being published, that's ok as long as it isn't self-publishing.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Markwriter, you have a better chance of finding an agent doing the research yourself. An agent being query-bombed by a service won't respond, if they even open, the emails.

Car Match Pro

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carmatchpro.com
Ever heard of this company...

http://www.publishersandagents.net

I went to a SEO (Search Engine Optimization) get together last night and the lady hosting it said that she has 40 + published books and that should could help me with my book.

Has anybody worked with her in any endeavors? Or can offer some opinions as to her services?

Cheers

Last edited:

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I took a look. Quite honestly, I'd stay away from them.

Agents and their agencies have contacts in the publishing industry, they're professional and know their business. It's how they earn their living.

I was once caught up with an agent who sent out blanket emails to publishers, or so the agent said. I was never able to get a list of submissions, and there was never a response from a publisher. On the thread where I mentioned that, someone who works for a publisher advised that they ignored blanket mails from unknown agents. I feel that the service provided by publishersand agents would fall into the same category. You're better going it alone.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every agent I've ever heard weigh in on the topic submission services has been extremely negative about them. They can spot 'em a mile away, due to inappropriate and unpersonalized submissions/queries, and tend to delete them unread.

I would strongly recommend you not pay someone to lower your chance of success. It takes work and time, but shop your book yourself. You can learn anything you need to know right here, and you're the one who will care enough to do it right. Good luck!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Money flows toward the writer, not away.

Read all that you can on how to write a query. When you feel your ms. is polished, and you have your query ready, then you can go here to www.agentquery.com to find agents who rep what you write. There is no need to pay anyone for what you can learn to do on your own.