Sold any nightmares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've written 4 or 5 stories based on actual nightmares I had, and just sold my first one. The others never even sniffed a sale because, well, they were pretty lousy. I think maybe I was following the plot of the nightmare a little too faithfully for those which, given the incoherent nature of most dreams (or at least my dreams), probably hurt the actual story.

How about you fine folks? Sold any of your nightmares? Any nightmares your friends had? How do you go about turning it into a story?

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Hi. You hit a sore spot there. I love dreams, and try to capture as many of them as I can. But dreams generally don't have plots, and are therefore unacceptable to most publications. In dream logic you just drift or run from place to place and see a lot of cool stuff. To me it's agonizing to be forced to make them conform to the norms of "modern fiction", just to make a few bucks. I find that if I write them as poetry there's a lot more leeway, maybe not a ton of markets for the dark stuff, or more than $5 or $10 a pop. But it gets them out there. Of course, some poetry markets still want narrative works.

I also keep a dream journal, and find that they can make nice additions to collections of stories. Sometimes a dream-related anthology comes along. Lately, I've been using my backlog of dreams in my weird newsletter ("Dark Windows") where the main goal is to blur the line between reality and imagination.

If you keep looking, you can probably find uses for them. Just don't let a lack of markets discourage you. Or you can channel the nightmares while writing conventional stories -- they're a good source for filling in the mad details as your story moves along.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never thought about the "dreams as poetry," though it makes a hell of a lot of sense. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.