• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Written Pictures Publishing

Lotus Blossom

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this publisher? I got a nibble from them about my novel, but I can't find any information about them at all. I Googled them but found nothing on the Web. I also checked the Writer's Market Literary Guide.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Welcome to the cooler. We have a section devoted to asking questions and obtaining information about publishers and agents here. I'm sure a mod will be along presently to move this for you.

The only information I could obtain on them, because their site has been suspended, was this.

Written Pictures Publishing, Inc.

I took a new job as Senior Editor for Written Pictures Publishing, Inc. on March 3, 2008. Since then, there has been a whirlwind of activity. My responsibility is to get the ebook versions of all our books online and begin a marketing campaign to raise awareness of the books and of Written Pictures Publishing, Inc.

The first two, “xxx" by XXXX, and "xxx," by XXXX (titles and author names redacted) are available at Mobipocket and at Amazon. I am very excited at finally getting my book published. <snip>

It appears she is one of the authors of those ebooks, although she doesn’t indicate what her real name is on this site, so I can’t be absolutely sure.

No web presence, site suspended, and their new Senior Editor is very excited about finally getting her book published… three warning flags.

Last edited:

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I googled them several months ago after reading a post from their Senior Editor on the NaNoWriMo.org forums. She framed the post as being from that of a publishing industry professional, and then went on to give some highly inaccurate information about book publishing -- namely, that the expected length of a novel is 150,000 words, that one should write a book with its potential for being a movie in mind, and that one shouldn't edit any scenes out of one's novel before submitting it to an editor.

Found the post: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/2005390#comment-2032389

Big flags there.

The website is indeed gone now. The company had published a few ebooks before disappearing. From what I could tell, they had good intentions, no previous publishing or editing experience, and very little funding.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Oh, my...

I'd like to give some professional advice, if I may. First, so that you will know I am not talking out of my hat, I am the Senior Editor for Written Pictures Publishing, Inc.

She's right, she isn't talking out of her hat because she's talking out of her *cough* Ahem.

When editing your drafts, do not remove anything. Simply check for verb tense agreement, grammar, spelling, comma placement and other punctuation issues. If you discover any plot holes, note them and brainstorm solutions for them. DO NOT REMOVE SCENES UNLESS AND UNTIL REQUESTED BY YOUR EDITOR. The impulse to remove scenes comes from allowing your inner critic to take over. Ignore the dirty S.O. B.

Where the heck did she get this nonsense? No wonder she was thrilled to finally have her book published.

Industry standard for a full-fledged novel is 150,000 words, due to printers charging publishers for that word count regardless what actual count is submitted. Publishers must then eat that cost, which ultimately eats into your royalties.

First, that's baloney. Second, you'll never get any royalties if you follow her previous advice because you'll never get a legitimate publishing contract. Although, Publish America will be just thrilled to print the book for you.

The second reason you do not remove scenes is that most publishers promote your book using every means necessary. One of the best ways to promote a book, from the publisher's point of view, is to take the book to movie. That way, publicity from the film pushes book sales, meaning less marketing expense.

:roll:

Books go to movie when they have one or more powerful scenes per chapter.

If this keeps up, I'm gonna wet my pants. Stop, please stop!

If you have taken the time to write secneically, using what advances the plot rather than what enhances the extended description, the book WILL be sought by someone for its movie rights. This is A VERY GOOD THING for the author as well as for the publishing company.

It will be sought after, but not by the people you think. Every scam shark swimming the infested waters of the film business will zone in on the author and have a feeding frenzy on their wallet.

Please tell me this woman hasn't posted any more pearls of wisdom on the Internet?

Lotus Blossom

Registered
Reaction score
Editors aren't writing coaches, nor are agents. They're in the business of finding books that people will pay them money for. Novels with a lot of extraneous scenes that don't help the plot won't make the cut.

And I don't see what this has to do with making a novel into a movie.

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll pass. I want my novel published, but I'm not that desperate yet.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The website is indeed gone now. The company had published a few ebooks before disappearing. From what I could tell, they had good intentions, no previous publishing or editing experience, and very little funding.
Supported by the Former Senior Editor's update: http://kephirra.xanga.com/646756417/written-pictures-publishing-inc/

EDIT: I look at this entry over a year later and I can't believe how starry eyed I was about what I thought at the time was the greatest thing in my life. The book was withdrawn from publication within days after I left the company in May 2008. This was after struggling under really rough conditions in what turned out to be more fantasy than reality. God bless Tom and Colleen. I believe they truly meant well. But more than 80% of what they are trying to accomplish is stardust and wishful thinking.

I have been approached online by people who are hostile toward me for being so starry eyed back then, and also by people who have an axe to grind against Tom and Colleen. Get over it. You had your adventure and it didn't work out. It's a growth experience. You thought your dream came true, but it was made of papier mache and gold spray paint. Live and learn and stop expecting me or anyone else you come across who rode the Glitter Glue Express to want to help you take an axe to the two backstage technicians who made the set look so attractive.