• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Grosvenor House Publishing

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Website is here: http://www.grosvenorhousepublishing.co.uk/

I noticed them because one of their authors showed up on a bookchat forum that I spend time on. A single post promoting her book, fairly politely and not underhandedly.
Grosvenor looks like a straightforward vanity press, though their prices seem high - GBP795.00 and you get an isbn and 5 free copies.
Oh, and "Professional type setters will manually layout your book in high resolution ready for print." which sounds as if they're claiming to be offset, but elsewhere they tout POD: "There are no printing plates involved, no conventional printing presses and no need for minimum runs of thousands of copies, just computers and digital printers."
That looks a tad disingenuous.

Additional charges for proofreading (GBP4.00 per 1000 words) and editing (GBP6.00 per 1000 words).
On the other hand, the author must design his own book cover (using their stock photo library). Sample results can be seen here.

They'll let you design your own website (from their *6* templates), and they'll host it for two years for the paltry sum of GBP299, including registering your domain name.

Graham Taylor, author of Shadowmancer, seems to be the figurehead - literally, as his face stares at you from the header of each page. I can see why he's an advocate of self-publishing, but the fact that his real success was in getting his book picked up by Faber and that only then did it become a bestseller, that little fact is glossed over in the excitement.

I'm not suggesting this is a scam, just yet another overpriced vanity POD sending their hapless authors out to spam message boards.
-Barbara

sage1940

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Batgirl,

I've looked at Grosvenor House in detail and agree with you that they are really a Vanity publisher. Pity, because they are geographically close to my home.

It looks too expensive for me but I'm still researching.

Thank you

Lepplady

Registered
Reaction score
Grosvenor House seems to have been founded by Graham Taylor, the author predominantly displayed and pimped on just about every page, with recomendations to buy and read his book.

On the Grosvenor House website, they say things like:
"Surely if your work had any merit it would have been snapped up by an eager agent or publisher wouldn't it"?
First, that sentence is devoid of proper punctuation. Always a red flag for a would-be publisher.
Second, it's pretty underhanded to tell an aspiring author that they're not good enough for anybody else.

"We are definitely not guaranteeing you sales in the thousands or financial success."
Clearly, since nothing they offer will help you make any sales in the least.

"These days, the percentage of manuscripts actually read by publishers - let alone offered a book deal - is dreadfully low, leaving many aspiring authors wondering how to publish a book."
Again, leading authors to think there's nowhere else to turn.

"As a self published, you are responsible for the actual marketing of your book, so if you don't do it, no one will!"
Problem is, neither will they.
They offer "marketing" packages, but all they include are tools an author can get elsewhere for cheaper, or for free.

GHP offers lots of different services for a price. But each and every service can be found on Amazon.com's self-publishing platform for free, including an ISBN, online cover creating services (you do it yourself), distribution and POD, and color book printing.

They do offer editing services, for a price, of course.

You can find their contract on a page that starts with:
"In order to start your publishing process, you need to read and sign our publishing contract, and then post it, together with a cheque made out to Grosvenor House Publishing Ltd. for £795to:
No negotiations. No conversation. Nowhere in their process do they talk about having a single conversation with the author. Just "Pay us." That alone should be the red flag that sends authors hunting for an agent, or publishing themselves.

Grosvenor House Publishing is nothing but a vanity press. It's slickly presented, but all the hints are there. The author need only look and pay attention.

Last edited: