• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jones Hutton Literary Associates (Caroline DuBois Hutton)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Until about 2005, the agency was called Hutton & Hutton. I got a number of documented complaints of reading fees, recommendations that clients use Caroline Hutton's own paid editing services (a conflict of interest), fees to include writers in a "book of business" taken to large book fairs, and submission fees of $30 per submission plus mailing expenses, with submissions sent out in batches of 5 or so a month.

Before setting up on her own, Ms. Hutton worked for another agency with the exact same M.O., and one of her former associates split off from her a couple of years ago and now runs an agency that also charges these kinds of fees (Gotham Literary Agency). Ms. Hutton has claimed sales, but I haven't been able to verify anything recent.

I haven't gotten any reports recently of submission fees, but I did recently hear from a writer who was offered Ms. Hutton's editing services for $10 per page.

Last but not least: Ms. Hutton runs a "cooperative" (read: fee-charging) epublisher, Hutton Electronic Publishing.

- Victoria

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The epub site is broken. Nothing recent on the agency.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There's a couple recent titles listed on Caroline's LinkedIn page, with publishers which don't require an agent to submit.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
So annoying that you can't see LinkedIn page info any more unless you're either connected to the person or paying for the upgraded version.

At any rate, I got a question about her on Twitter in November. She is still charging for editing.

- Victoria