The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Jones Hutton Literary Associates (Caroline DuBois Hutton)

figuring it all out SummerAuthor's Avatar

Jones Hutton Literary Associates (Caroline DuBois Hutton)

She's an agent with Jones Hutton Literary Agency

Thanks

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Until about 2005, the agency was called Hutton & Hutton. I got a number of documented complaints of reading fees, recommendations that clients use Caroline Hutton's own paid editing services (a conflict of interest), fees to include writers in a "book of business" taken to large book fairs, and submission fees of $30 per submission plus mailing expenses, with submissions sent out in batches of 5 or so a month.

Before setting up on her own, Ms. Hutton worked for another agency with the exact same M.O., and one of her former associates split off from her a couple of years ago and now runs an agency that also charges these kinds of fees (Gotham Literary Agency). Ms. Hutton has claimed sales, but I haven't been able to verify anything recent.

I haven't gotten any reports recently of submission fees, but I did recently hear from a writer who was offered Ms. Hutton's editing services for $10 per page.

Last but not least: Ms. Hutton runs a "cooperative" (read: fee-charging) epublisher, Hutton Electronic Publishing.

- Victoria
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 06-07-2008 at 07:30 PM.

figuring it all out SummerAuthor's Avatar
    great, thanks

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The epub site is broken. Nothing recent on the agency.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I got a complaint last April of editing fees--$5 per page, approximately $2,000.

- Victoria

There's a couple recent titles listed on Caroline's LinkedIn page, with publishers which don't require an agent to submit.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

So annoying that you can't see LinkedIn page info any more unless you're either connected to the person or paying for the upgraded version.

At any rate, I got a question about her on Twitter in November. She is still charging for editing.

- Victoria

Hutton Publishing has returned at: http://www.huttonpublishing.com/home.html
    ICAO
    ---------