Fantasy & Science Fiction Mag.

JStephen

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious to know if anyone here has been published in this magazine. I basically wanted to know if they felt it was a real challenge and how hard they had to work at it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have not, nor have I ever submitted anything to them. A couple of years ago I read their guidelines and as I recall they were very interested in good, "original concept" science fiction. I believe the quote was something like, "We get lots of fantasy, but never enough quality science fiction . . . " (something like that anyway).

If you've got a good story, especially if it's SF, it might be a good place to submit it.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
For a new writer breaking in, it is a fairly big challenge. They're one of the top print magazines in the industry.

You can read John Joseph Adams blog. He's the assistant editor/slush reader for them. He's posted quite a few tales from the slush over the years.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I've submitted to them before. I was turned down, but based on the rejection letter I got I felt that they gave my story a fair read in spite of the fact that I'd never been published before, and that their reasons for rejecting it were very sound.

I know they are pretty hungry for sci-fi, as most of what they get is fantasy and they want to present a wider selection for their readers.

It's a great magazine, highly esteemed.

JStephen

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I believe that my story is a pretty original idea. The concept of it may not be, but the presentation and actual series of events I have never seen anything like before. So, being that it's sci-fi, if I polish it enough hopefully they'll give it a go. :Shrug:

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I submitted to them in mid May and I'm still waiting to hear back. Like everyone has said - this is the top tier of sci-fi/fantasy mags. Response time is lightning fast (typically under 2 weeks), so either they're still considering my story, or my submission (or SASE) got lost in the mail. Given that I am unpublished, it's probably the latter! :cry: Good luck with your sub!

Of course it could also be that JJA is on vacation, etc...

Last edited:

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I think it took six weeks for me to hear back from this magazine. That's certainly a lot faster than many others that consider sci-fi and fantasy. IGMS took a full fifteen weeks to get back to me with a form rejection. Yikes.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I think it took six weeks for me to hear back from this magazine. That's certainly a lot faster than many others that consider sci-fi and fantasy. IGMS took a full fifteen weeks to get back to me with a form rejection. Yikes.

They may have been seriously considering your story. I swear that I and others have gotten most rejections from them in less than two weeks.

JStephen

Registered
Reaction score
Other than F&SF and IGMS, what are some other sci-fi magazines that you guys think are worth submitting to?

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I would check out www.duotrope.com - they have a great listing of all mag's, not just sci-fi. The ones I always submit to are Strange Horizons, Shimmer, Atomjack (not yet but I will), Futurismic, Jim Baen's Universe, Clarkesworld, and there are probably more. I haven't submitted yet to Asimov's or Analog yet, but intend to. Difinitely check out Duotrope.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I've submitted to them before. I was turned down, but based on the rejection letter I got I felt that they gave my story a fair read in spite of the fact that I'd never been published before, and that their reasons for rejecting it were very sound.
I had the same experience. (And, remarkably, I got my rejection in ten days.)

They were my favorite sf magazine when I was growing up; I'd love to be published by them.