Happy July 4th!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Fantasy & Science Fiction Mag.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Fantasy & Science Fiction Mag.

Just curious to know if anyone here has been published in this magazine. I basically wanted to know if they felt it was a real challenge and how hard they had to work at it.

More cream, please. SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar
    I have not, nor have I ever submitted anything to them. A couple of years ago I read their guidelines and as I recall they were very interested in good, "original concept" science fiction. I believe the quote was something like, "We get lots of fantasy, but never enough quality science fiction . . . " (something like that anyway).

If you've got a good story, especially if it's SF, it might be a good place to submit it.

Formerly known as StoneTable AW Moderator Adam Israel's Avatar
    For a new writer breaking in, it is a fairly big challenge. They're one of the top print magazines in the industry.

You can read John Joseph Adams blog. He's the assistant editor/slush reader for them. He's posted quite a few tales from the slush over the years.
    [ My blog | Twitter | Facebook | Inkpunks ]

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." - Nikola Tesla

Worst song played on ugliest guitar Libbie's Avatar
    I've submitted to them before. I was turned down, but based on the rejection letter I got I felt that they gave my story a fair read in spite of the fact that I'd never been published before, and that their reasons for rejecting it were very sound.

I know they are pretty hungry for sci-fi, as most of what they get is fantasy and they want to present a wider selection for their readers.

It's a great magazine, highly esteemed.

Well, I believe that my story is a pretty original idea. The concept of it may not be, but the presentation and actual series of events I have never seen anything like before. So, being that it's sci-fi, if I polish it enough hopefully they'll give it a go.

I submitted to them in mid May and I'm still waiting to hear back. Like everyone has said - this is the top tier of sci-fi/fantasy mags. Response time is lightning fast (typically under 2 weeks), so either they're still considering my story, or my submission (or SASE) got lost in the mail. Given that I am unpublished, it's probably the latter! Good luck with your sub!

Of course it could also be that JJA is on vacation, etc...
    Last edited by Tburger; 06-08-2008 at 01:53 PM.
    Bio/bibliography: Campbell Award Profile

Worst song played on ugliest guitar Libbie's Avatar
    I think it took six weeks for me to hear back from this magazine. That's certainly a lot faster than many others that consider sci-fi and fantasy. IGMS took a full fifteen weeks to get back to me with a form rejection. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbie View Post
    I think it took six weeks for me to hear back from this magazine. That's certainly a lot faster than many others that consider sci-fi and fantasy. IGMS took a full fifteen weeks to get back to me with a form rejection. Yikes.

They may have been seriously considering your story. I swear that I and others have gotten most rejections from them in less than two weeks.

Other than F&SF and IGMS, what are some other sci-fi magazines that you guys think are worth submitting to?

I would check out www.duotrope.com - they have a great listing of all mag's, not just sci-fi. The ones I always submit to are Strange Horizons, Shimmer, Atomjack (not yet but I will), Futurismic, Jim Baen's Universe, Clarkesworld, and there are probably more. I haven't submitted yet to Asimov's or Analog yet, but intend to. Difinitely check out Duotrope.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbie View Post
    I've submitted to them before. I was turned down, but based on the rejection letter I got I felt that they gave my story a fair read in spite of the fact that I'd never been published before, and that their reasons for rejecting it were very sound.
    I had the same experience. (And, remarkably, I got my rejection in ten days.)

They were my favorite sf magazine when I was growing up; I'd love to be published by them.