Pizza on the grill?

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
OMG. That sounds so good!

damn you people. Now I'm sitting here at my desk at work, but wishing I was sitting out back, on the deck, with a pizza grilling, while I watched it with a cold beer in hand.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score

damn you people. Now I'm sitting here at my desk at work, but wishing I was sitting out back, on the deck, with a pizza grilling, while I watched it with a cold beer in hand.

Try the berry one for me too, I really want to know how it tastes.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I try not to use my ovens during the hot months for obvious reasons. I've served grilled pizza many times in the past and it's always been a hit. Grill one side of the dough, turn it over, add toppings, finish grilling. They are wonderful, if you like pizza, which I dont.

Okay, I will now run for the exit to avoid objects being thrown in my direction.

Did I mention I don't like hamburgers, either? :gone:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I don't bake pizzas anymore. I always grill them--even if I have to use a Foreman to do it.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score

Try the berry one for me too, I really want to know how it tastes.

Sorry DWSTXS, I didn't realize you might have missed the recipes on the link, so I'll copy it here.

Very berry pizza
"Pizza on the Grill: 100 Fiesty-Fire Roasted Recipes" by Elizabeth Karmel and Bob Blumer
Serves 2 to 4
INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup ricotta cheese
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 5 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
• Zest of 1/2 lemon, finely grated with a microplane or zester
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, for kneading the dough
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 ball prepared pizza dough, at room temperature
• 1/4 cup uncooked grits or polenta, for rolling the dough
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (such as canola) or nut oil (such as walnut)
• 1/2 pint fresh blueberries, picked over
• 1/2 pint fresh raspberries, picked over
• 1/4 cup honey

DIRECTIONS
Combine the ricotta, vanilla, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the ginger, and the lemon zest in a medium bowl. Reserve for topping.
Sprinkle the work surface with the flour. Mix the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar with the cinnamon and knead it into the dough. Set aside until ready to make pizza.
Preheat the grill, roll out and shape the dough, and grill the first side of the crust per the master instructions for gas or charcoal. Use tongs to turn the crust over. Continue grilling until the bottom crust is well browned. (Since you're not melting cheese or warming toppings, you don't need to switch to indirect heat.)
Remove from the grill and immediately spread it evenly with ricotta mixture. Let your inner artist dictate how you arrange the berries over the top. Finish with a generous drizzle of honey. Slice and serve immediately.

Basic pizza dough (handmade)
"Pizza on the Grill: 100 Fiesty-Fire Roasted Recipes" by Elizabeth Karmel and Bob Blumer
Makes enough for 2 pizza crusts
INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup lukewarm water, plus extra as needed
• 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for oiling the bowl
• 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
• 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
• 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra as needed
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

DIRECTIONS
Place the water, oil, and sugar in a large bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add to the water mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until well incorporated. If the dough is stiff, add more water. If it is very sticky, add extra flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough is soft and slightly sticky. Continue to mix until the dough is soft and slightly sticky. Continue to mix until it feels elastic. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Knead for just about 1 minute, until just smooth and easy to work with, adding extra flour to the surface as necessary to prevent the dough from sticking. Do not overwork the dough or it will be tough.
Place the dough in an oiled clean bowl, turn it several times to coat all over with the oil, then drizzle the top of the dough with a little oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, place in a warm spot, and let rise until it more than doubles in volume, about 1 hour.
Punch the dough down and knead on a lightly floured surface for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth. Divide into two equal-size balls and proceed with your pizza making. (The dough may be made ahead, frozen for up to a month, and thawed at room temperature before using.)

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Arggghhhhhhh!

Yuck!

Nothing belongs on Pizzas except Sausage, Hamburger, Onions, Olives, Cheese, and Pepperoni!

LOL

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Yep, I don't bake pizzas anymore. I always grill them--even if I have to use a Foreman to do it.
Wait a darned minute! How do you grill pizza on a Foreman? By the slice? So, the top gets little grill marks on it as much as the bottom?

Arggghhhhhhh!

Yuck!

Nothing belongs on Pizzas except Sausage, Hamburger, Onions, Olives, Cheese, and Pepperoni!

LOL
Well, definately not fruit or runny cheese curds.

Nice to see we share pizza tastes anyway.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Wait a darned minute! How do you grill pizza on a Foreman? By the slice? So, the top gets little grill marks on it as much as the bottom?

we just can't start the grill fire with gasoline...

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
What's today's date? June 4th? My life begins June 4th. Pizza on the grill. Tonight. Papa Murphy's garlic chicken supreme. It will happen. How have I lived 37 years without realizing you could grill pizza?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Arggghhhhhhh!

Yuck!

LOL

Geeze, haven't either of you ever had a dessert pizza?

What's today's date? June 4th? My life begins June 4th. Pizza on the grill. Tonight. Papa Murphy's garlic chicken supreme. It will happen. How have I lived 37 years without realizing you could grill pizza?

I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Okay, now that I have labeled myself a non-pizza enthusiast, I will confess that we hold an 'Iron Chef Pizza Party' at least once a year. As far as parties go, it's inexpensive and a great deal of fun.

My friends are told they need to bring toppings for 'their' pizza. I buy the dough at my better half's favorite pizzeria or from the supermarket. (I can screw up pastry just by looking at the ingredients, so I don't make the dough from scratch.) The only thing I make for the party is a great big salad, because someone always makes a dessert pizza.

When the guests arrive, they are given a workspace in the kitchen and a choice of either the BBQ or the ovens. Then it's up to them to produce dinner. (Smart, eh?)

Over the years, it has become a very competitive night. It's amazing the clever things my friends will bring to put on a pizza and the time they take to prepare some of the ingredients.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
My wife makes them all the time whenever we visit relatives as a "pass a dish" thing.

I have never eaten it.

Well if she makes good ones, you're missing out.

Anyway, I'm making a chicken alfredo and a regular pizza tonight, though unfortunately not grilled. Someday when I have a grill, this is the first thing I'm cooking on it.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I try not to use my ovens during the hot months for obvious reasons. I've served grilled pizza many times in the past and it's always been a hit. Grill one side of the dough, turn it over, add toppings, finish grilling. They are wonderful, if you like pizza, which I dont.

Okay, I will now run for the exit to avoid objects being thrown in my direction.

Did I mention I don't like hamburgers, either? :gone:
You're weird.
We love ya anyway. :D

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
pizza is not dessert.

pizza and chocolate are 2 different food groups. 2 of my favorites too.

another great food group that I love, is Ranch. I put ranch on everything. even her.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big Ranch fan, too.
Eons ago I was able to buy Southwestern Ranch Dressing which was reddish and flavored with chiles.
Being cheap, I tried to concoct my own by mixing prepared chili-fixing seasonings into plain Ranch dressing and letting it mellow for a day or so to even out before using.
Woo hoo! Great stuff.

Last edited:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I love ranch too, but dessert pizzas can be really good if done right. It's much like how crepes can be used for sweet stuff or meat stuff.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score

Well, I cook for one so the Foreman is okay--I use mini-crusts. I've made two back-to-back before and it's never been a problem.

As for avoiding grill marks on the top ... I'll grill the crust until it's almost ready to go, then add the toppings. Usually there's chicken or tomato on top so the grill top is okay, or sometimes I prop up the top with a bottle of seasonings--just high enough not to touch, but close enough so the cheese will melt.

Speaking of crusts... has anyone encountered a good wheat crust?

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
We have a very rustic cottage (no water, no electricity) so other than propane burners, I have to use the BBQ to cook anything. I've made pizza many times, baked bread and even cake. I have a friend who even makes cookies on hers - but hers is a super deluxe bbq and mine is pretty basic.
Everything turns out very well - you just need to make a few adjustments to your normal methods.