Intercultural couples?

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I'm writing a book on intercultural wedding planning and I'm would like to talk to cross-cultural couples about their experience. The book will detail all the ups and downs of intercultural wedding preparation, and hopefully help couples navigate some of the thornier issues like - preparing a bilingual ceremony, dealing with competing cultural norms, cultural problems with future inlaws, planning more than one wedding ceremony, etc.

I've already interviewed about 30 couples and am looking to speak to some 20-30 more. I'm especially interested in couples that planned a bilingual wedding, and those that encountered cultural problems during the planning process. However, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is married to (or planning to marry) someone from a different cultural background.

If you're interested in participating, please contact me at [email protected].

Thanks!

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I know a Romanian/Peruvian couple, but they are getting divorced right now and it's getting nasty in a really bi-cultural way.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
My husband and I had a bicultural/multilingual wedding.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
I set up a full on Christian/Muslim wedding once. Well, actually I only set up the flowers for the Christian side of the service and handed off bunches of flowers to the groom's Muslim mother. She had an army of other women with her that set up the other half of the room for a traditional Muslim wedding. No one spoke to me but I was fascinated with the Muslim preparations. (I hung out on the Christian side of the room and watched the goings-on.) They had the most beautiful food I have ever seen. I bet it tasted as good as it looked.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

Stephanie - Yikes! Don't think I'm yet ready to write a book on intercultural divorce. Hopefully I won't have first-hand experience of that.

Shweta - Cool. Would you be willing to chat with me about your wedding? I'll PM you.

Carol - You wouldn't happen to still be in contact with that family, would you? If so, I'd love to hear about that wedding.

Anyone else??

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Depends on how you define intercultural. Hubby and I are from different cultures, but we eloped, so wedding plans consisted of buying airline tickets and a dress (floral, $20) and him asking his two best friends to be witnesses. But our ceremony took all of under a minute, so hardly exciting.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Laurie, did your reasons for eloping have anything do with avoiding cultural issues? If so, then I'd definitely be interested in speaking with you. Thanks for responding!

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
One of our sons recently married.

My wife's Jewish (speaks Yiddish and English), I'm an Anglican (ie: WASP) ( speak English, German and Latin)

The Bride's mother is from Taiwan, she's Catholic ( speaks English and Mandarin) and the father is from mainland China, he's Luthern (speaks English and Cantonese).

Many of the bride's family didn't speak English but boy did they love karoke! Frank Sinatra stuff sung by a Mandarin speaker is something else.

In terms of cross cultural stuff, the bride did the traditional four changes of dresses after the wedding and our son smashed a glass as part of the Jewish tradition. As for my contribution, I drank.

My son in dauhter in law will add another layer of ethnicity to the family heritage when they have children.

They will be Chinese, English, French, Irish, Scottish, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian and Mohawk. Some genome!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Laurie, did your reasons for eloping have anything do with avoiding cultural issues? If so, then I'd definitely be interested in speaking with you. Thanks for responding!
No, not really. I'd always wanted to elope (if I got married) to avoid family issues with my family, but he also lived halfway around the world from me, so it was financially more feasible to do it this way.