Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [ePub] Astor + Blue Editions (formerly Robert Astle & Assocs Lit. Mgmt)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[ePub] Astor + Blue Editions (formerly Robert Astle & Assocs Lit. Mgmt)

Hi all. Robert Astle is new on the block. He lists a few credits but I am not finding much info at all on his practices, client satisfaction, etc. Website is rather general, with all the same caveats about how to query etc. P&E lists no recorded sales despite the agent's claims to have "made a dent." Anyone had any dealings with him yet? Thanks. ~Bob.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin schoonerbabe's Avatar
    Read his website and took a pass because his only experience seems to be 33 years in the theatre. Needs some past agenting apprenticeship or editing creds, imho. I only go with agents with track records. Good luck, Bob.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin wordz's Avatar
    hmmmm. looks like he is representing some poets on a very short list of new unpub'd clients. is that a way to start an agency? poetry is what ... 2% of market??? theater experience, poets, few clients, not many pub credits? red flags 2 me. i agree with schoonerbabe. stick with experience.

Thanks, schoonerbabe and wordz. The poetry client looks like she is trying to publish novels, not poetry. Astle's bio does say he has done some subsidiary rights work, plus a (brief?) stint with a New York Agency, but no company names are given. He lists three books as "forthcoming," and they are with respectable independent presses (Overlook and Sourcebooks), but I don't see any larger houses listed yet although his website is copyrighted 2006-2008. Three forthcoming books with independent publishers--that's it for two entire years of work as an agent in NYC. Has ten clients, and no actual recorded sales (I would think that these would be featured on his website). He's interested in a project of mine and offers a one year contract with a 30 day opt-out. I was rejected by about fifteen A-list agents before I stumbled across Astle, who liked my verbal pitch but the not written proposal or sample chapters. Says, too, he has sub-agents and is "training readers." Sub-agents and still no recorded sales? Looks like someone who may have some level of competency but just doesn't seem to be performing. Am I being paranoid?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin schoonerbabe's Avatar
    No Bob, you're not being paranoid. That's not much to show for two years. Jeff Herman advises using agents with a good track record. If his sales are that low, he is either doing something wrong or doesn't have the contacts to develop his client list.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin wordz's Avatar
    so how is he paying the rent for two years? or his subagents? (never heard of an agency with no "recorded" sales and ten clients having subagents.) agents like this usually have other income in the form of kickbacks from book doctors, rep fees, affiliated editing agencies, etc.

Any new info. on this fella?

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    His PM page: http://publishersmarketplace.com/members/rappallo/

I'm not finding any new sales (reported) for him.

ETA: There's more sales on his AQ page: http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=856
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    He doesn't like to respond to queries, either.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

From the comments on him in http://querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=845
    he works slow.

Here're the best comments ...
    Posted by Lannie, 05/21/2009 Eight weeks w/no reply. Crossed off, into the Jerk File.
    Posted by eallen99, 02/19/2009 Wow! Almost 6 months for a form rejection. Glad I wasn't waiting on him only!

writing when not teaching
    His AgentQuery page now lists a number of sales--thrillers, nonfiction, and literary/historical fiction.
    The Many Stony and Wild Things: Adult literary fiction, 117K, currently looking for an agent.

Chain of Paper Stars (new title):Young adult fiction. Goal: 60K by September 2, 2009. (18K in)

Got a request for 50 pages from his assistant Rayna Erlick. She gives great feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by rathhaven View Post
    Got a request for 50 pages from his assistant Rayna Erlick. She gives great feedback.
    If you don't mind my asking, rathhaven, how do you know she gives great feedback...if you just got the request yesterday?
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, out now!)
    DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)

#TheWVoice, a multi-blog, multi-agent contest, returns on May 20!

www.kristavandolzer.com

Heroes don't always win egtalbot's Avatar
    A search on Amazon for "Robert Astle" turned up a number of entries with authors thanking him as the agent.
    want a free audio conspiracy thriller? New World Orders is available online at http//www.edwardgtalbot.com

I sent a query to Mr. Astle last week, got a request for a partial on Tuesday of this week (from his assistant), and just received my rejection today. So the turnaround time on the query was less than a week, and only three days on the partial. At least it was quick, if not the response I would have liked.

P.S. Mr. Astle's assistant did give some very personalized feedback in her rejection, which is always nice. Frustrating when it doesn't correspond to what other agents have said, but nice nonetheless.
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, out now!)
    DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)

#TheWVoice, a multi-blog, multi-agent contest, returns on May 20!

www.kristavandolzer.com

practical experience, FTW tracythewriter's Avatar
    I sent in a query for a YA book on 2/3 and a request for a partial on the 16th from Rayna Erlick, his assistant. I believe she may be building her own client list too, but not sure. I haven't heard back on my partial yet, but I've got my fingers crossed that they want to see more.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Stikan's Avatar
    Rayna has a blog if interested:

http://raynareads.blogspot.com/

Her internship with Robert Astle just ended this past December. He's letting her stay at the agency for a while as she starts to build her client list.
    Last edited by Stikan; 03-09-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by egtalbot View Post
    A search on Amazon for "Robert Astle" turned up a number of entries with authors thanking him as the agent.
    How do you search that on Amazon? I tried and can't figure it out.

I got a request for the first 50 pages too. I only sent going off of what others have said here, though I was a little bothered by theatre being his major experience. He doesn't have a dollar sign next to his name, but does have some sales on pm.

But for agents that don't have the dollar sign next to their name on PandE, is that considered 'ok' or is it a bad sign?

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
    *Now available.*
    Add on: Goodreads
    Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

My twitter is real.

As is my blog

I'm not sure if the dollar sign it's OK or not, but I'd say it's better. What bothered me also was Rayna's twitter said she was onerly and the author didn't have her by page ten, she was rejecting it, though she feared that she was rejecting it due to her orneriness. Just seemed a little unprofessional to me.

Edited: Just got my R from my partial with some suggestions.
    "The dream that you don't fight for is the one that will haunt you the rest of your life." - Herb Copperbottom (Robots)

http://www.stinakanaris.com

Sorry about the R, Stikan.

But what does 'onerly' mean exactly? Is that a word?

*Now available.*

My twitter is real.

As is my blog

Haha, I had to look it up on Google myself. It means she was irritable and stubborn. In layman's terms, she was cranky. ;-)
    "The dream that you don't fight for is the one that will haunt you the rest of your life." - Herb Copperbottom (Robots)

Okay, but one thing I learned from Nathan Bransford is that agents are people, (and warned against doing certain submission stuff wrong so as to not make the agent cranky while reading your stuff). Personally, I think crankiness only becomes a factor when the agent really is on the fence about the manuscript in the first place, but again you never know. Plus just because agents don't say so on twitter or on their blogs doesn't mean they don't go through and reject stuff for similar reasons.

The whole thing, sadly, is a crapshoot

But what I'm more concerned about with these people is experience, connection and sales.

*Now available.*

My twitter is real.

As is my blog

Agreed 100%. You just got to take it for what it is, and keep going!

Experience, connections and sales are key. I like to be able to type in the agent's name in Google and have a bunch of stuff such as interviews, blogs and the like come up about them.

Good luck on your partial! She gets back to you fast and do keep me posted! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast