• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ComStar Media

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've been exploring the ComStar website, and I just can't resist posting this gem, from its FAQ page:

"Question:
Does ComStar copyright the books or does the author copyright the books?

Answer:
This is a big deal. Even if ComStar were to copyright an author’s book in their name, if we held the TX number that would be generated from that, ComStar would actually hold the copyright. I know authors who have spent thousands of dollars trying to get their TX numbers and while ComStar would never want to hold an author’s copyright numbers hostage, we don’t want that responsibility either.

Now, when the book is published, it is automatically copyrighted to the author. If ComStar (or no one else for that matter) holds a TX number on it then the copyright belongs to the author. If the author sends themselves their manuscript in a sealed USPS flat rate mailer it will be postmarked and that, as long as it remains sealed, will prove in a court of law that you are in fact the owner of the story.

Do yourself a favor. Go through the process of copyrighting your story and keep your TX numbers! These might come in handy one day. No author should ever want a publisher to do this process for them, unless they aren’t interested in holding the copyright on their manuscripts. It’s just too dangerous.
This is the most inventive rationale I've ever seen for ducking the expense of registering copyright on the author's behalf.

Hint to authors: If your publisher has this many misconceptions about copyright, you're in trouble.

- Victoria

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
They seem to be OK. They dont pay advances but they dont charge you anything. They are rather enthusiastic about getting new authors, which would normally send up alarm flags. I looked through their FAQ and everything seems up and up. Its actually like the place is run by people on Happy Pills. Just be careful/

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
If the front page of the website is more about finding writers than buyers for books, I'd be wary.

Interested in highly motivated, talented writers of all kinds, who have completed manuscripts they wish to see in print at no cost to them

The fact they have to even make that distinction would be troubling to me. Plus, I can't seem to find any books they've actually published yet on Amazon.

SeanDSchaffer

I'd be a bit leary about it too...

XThe NavigatorX said:
If the front page of the website is more about finding writers than buyers for books, I'd be wary.

Quote:
Interested in highly motivated, talented writers of all kinds, who have completed manuscripts they wish to see in print at no cost to them

The fact they have to even make that distinction would be troubling to me. Plus, I can't seem to find any books they've actually published yet on Amazon.

I would also be a bit concerned about this situation. If I were you, I would look up what P&E or Writer Beware had to say about them, and not just look up the publisher's FAQ page. My reason for this is that, like Navigator pointed out, they make a distinction in their front page of the 'No cost to the author.' This kind of marketing toward new authors is one of the reasons I signed up with PublishAmerica, which has, shall we say, a very unsavory reputation in the writing world.

And a good reason not to look up just the FAQ page of the publisher you mentioned also has to do with my experiences with the publisher I mentioned above. If the company is not legit, they're not going to put damning information in their Frequently Asked Questions section. Rather, they'll make themselves look as good as possible. If they are legit, however, people such as Preditors & Editors would have a decent report of them, being P&E and other such sites would be unbiased in their reporting. Other sites to think about contacting might be the Better Business Bureau or WriterBeware.

One thing about the said websites: don't take the word of only one organization. The first place I looked at when considering PA was the BBB, and they had at the time a good report of PA. But at the same time, P&E had a 'not recommended' listing for PA due to the contract language. I made the mistake of believing one organization alone as my sole source for information about PA; this is a mistake I made, and I do not want anyone else to make that same mistake concerning any publishing decision. This is why I suggest you look up more than one site, and compare notes between them. That way you can make a more informed decision.

On an added note: I also agree with Navigator that a legit publisher would be more interested in selling books than getting authors to sign with them. The recruiting methods the company in question seems to use, send up an immediate 'Red Flag' to me, as the scam that has my book used similar methods to draw me in to their company. Most of the legit publishers I've since dealt with don't have such methods; again, they're interested in publishing, not telling authors on their websites that they can 'publish at no cost to the author.'

So basically, be wary and be certain to study up on this company before you make any decisions about whether or not to contact them. And always be leary of taking the company's FAQ page at face value... at least until organizations you trust have weighed in on the subject.

Last edited:

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I would personally wait and take a look at one of the several anthologies they're putting out. Once those and/or one of their novels are out, see where they're reviewed, how they're priced, how the books are put together, where they're stocked, what the editing standards are, etc. In the meantime start submitting your book to agents and larger, commercial publishers.

Vainly searching

thanks for the responses, I have been through the usual routes, slow if any response and I have seen scams before like ST. I'm dubious about Comstar because there is no contact address as well as the above reasons.

William

Registered
Reaction score
ComStar

Greetings,

I am a partner in ComStar Media, LLC, and would like to address some of the concerns that have been brought up.

First, we are a brand new company, and as such have not had an opportunity to establish ourselves as yet. My "other life" (profession) is as a college professor, and my wife is an aspiring writer. After working thru some scams in the publishing world, we began doing some research to try to find out if we could use some of our savings to start a publishing company that could give authors an honest break into the market, and hopefully form the basis of a growing business for our family.

ComStar made a *huge mistake* in first getting involved with Windstorm Creative. After working with them for 12 months, and turning over more of our savings to them than we would like, we are free of that influence.

We are going to be publishing anthologies and novels, and RPGs. Our first products are to be published later in the year. At that time, you can form a better determinant of our energy and effort and the results from that effort.

I can appreciate and respect your desire to be careful... and, again, having just lost a lot of money ourselves in learning the lessons from our relationship with Windstorm, we would be the first to suggest that you becareful.

However, we have not ever scammed anyone... we are a start-up, and as we have books to sell, our entire attention will be put to selling the books. Right now, our attention is geared toward editing and preparing the books for publication.

I only ask that you allow us to prove ourselves... then form your opinion.

Sincerely,
William Andersen
[email protected]

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Yikes, for a second there, I was seeing the name Willem, not William...time to get the vision checked...

I'm curious, though...should one see a red flag in the usage of form responses to both threads (the one previously linked, and this one)?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
William said:
ComStar made a *huge mistake* in first getting involved with Windstorm Creative. After working with them for 12 months, and turning over more of our savings to them than we would like, we are free of that influence.
William, I'd be interested to know what your experience was with Windstorm. If you don't want to post here, please contact me privately: [email protected]. Thanks.

- Victoria

William

Registered
Reaction score
astonwest said:
Yikes, for a second there, I was seeing the name Willem, not William...time to get the vision checked...

I'm curious, though...should one see a red flag in the usage of form responses to both threads (the one previously linked, and this one)?

I would think you should only when you see red flags in most business
correspondence... ;)

The point of my message was the same to both threads: We are a start-up that has not yet proven itself. My advice to anyone that only wishes to work with an established firm is to wait to work with us until we are established... :)

William
ComStar Media
http://www.comstar-media.com

William

Registered
Reaction score
BookCoverDesigner said:
There are no book covers on the site. Where are the book covers?? Are people allowed to make websites without book covers?? I need book covers...please..pleaseeee...

Cathi

They are coming...:) I must assume that we are not the first start-up that got on the Web prior to already having books published. ;)

William

William

Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
William, I'd be interested to know what your experience was with Windstorm. If you don't want to post here, please contact me privately: [email protected]. Thanks.

- Victoria

Victoria,

I would be happy to share with you... I will send you a private email about it.

Sincerely,
William

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-08-2006, 12:04 PM
LloydBrown
Board fanatic

William! You're here! Welcome to AW, my home-away-from-home.

For what it's worth, I know William from other message boards and much e-mail trading.

In the RPG industry, William is establishing a reputation as a reliable, legitimate publisher. He's been elected to a director position in the Game Publisher's Association, he's provided business analyses for retailer-oriented websites, he's released products that are selling, and he's paying his writers (which not all small pubs do in the RPG world). The Comstar Games division of ComStar Media seems favorable.

I have a pet theory about the book division. I think William's well-intentioned toward authors. I fear that his association with Windstorm Creative taught him some untruths, and, while he has learned better in many cases, he might not yet have discarded all of those ideas.

Actually, now that I think about it, when I first started trading e-mails with William, he was still with Windstorm Creative, and I went on a HUGE rant about them in e-mail. I brought up the misinformation, the total lack of sales, and the other issues we discussed in the WC thread. I believe he replied that they were re-thinking their position or were already breaking ties.

I do not believe that William is intentionally deceiving his authors or intentionally offering them a bad deal.

We've discussed a couple of books. The books ended up going to other publishers or not going forward for different reasons. Having a bigger publisher interested doesn't mean that ComStar was bad. He was just, for that project, and at that time, not as good.
06-08-2006, 02:07 PM
j314
Esteemed New Member

Thank you, Lloyd!!!

ComStar is a great place and I happen to be PROUD to have my work with them.
06-08-2006, 02:28 PM
LloydBrown
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j314
Thank you, Lloyd!!!

ComStar is a great place and I happen to be PROUD to have my work with them.
Earlier today, I asked William more about the ComStar/Windstorm alliance. It turns out he gives me quite a bit of credit for their decision to end ComStar's relationship with them. I'm glad I could help apply a bandage to their financial and PR bleeding, as it were.

The only problem I see is the one endemic to all small-presses that start up with no experience. Getting into the RPG market is easy as a publisher. You call up a couple of distributors, you set up at a con or two, and you're in. You might not have widespread distribution, but you easily CAN after a successful product or two.

The competition for the novel market is much tougher, and the breaking in is much more incremental. How successful William & ComStar will be in that market, I can't tell you. I have hope and good wishes, but, well, my Magic 8-ball says "Try again later."
06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
j314
Esteemed New Member

You're right about that. We'll have to see. So far they have been the best. I feel confident with all that I see them doing, they will succeed.

I attended a conference in April and the marketing lady from Kensington commented that they were watching ComStar. So if they have caught the attention of one large publisher then how many other publishers are watching them too.
06-08-2006, 04:32 PM
CaitlinK18
Technology vs. Horse

Are you looking for RPG writers at the moment, William? PM me if you are.
06-11-2006, 10:44 AM
ptib
Esteemed New Member

Hey All,

Just thought I'd drop in on this thread with MHO concerning both ComStar Media and Steve Grant of The Grant Agency.

First off, tagged as Inspirational with an Edge! and reviewed as "steamier and grittier than the typical Christian novel without decreasing the message," my writing is different and not easily accepted by the genre of my choice, therefore I had to look for new avenues with which to get my work out there.

Initially E-published by Writer's Exchange Epublishing, I found Com Star Media after being tied up for 18months in a contract that never manifested with a company that never got off the ground, and I am proud to be associated with them!

My novels Tempered Hearts and Tempered Dreams (books 1&2 in a 5 part series) were released in Nov. 2005 and are continually escalating in sales. Edits for Tempered Fire are underway and the book is anxiously awaited from not only fans who bought the original e-published versions of TH & TD, but new readers as well!

Though small, William, Jennifer and Jack work tirelessly to get their products out in a timely manner and with impeccable quality. I recently received my first royalty statement and check which adds to their credibility as honest, upright people doing their best to make a go of their company and doing right by their authors.

As for Steve Grant, he graciously offered me representation after signing my friend J314. Unfortunately, I was at a crossroad in my career and declined his offer.

FYI, I kick myself daily! for that!

Hope my testimony gives you all something to think about as well as encourage you to open your hearts and minds to give CSM and TGA a chance to prove themselves as genuine, reputable entities. Afterall, no one gets to the top without climbing a few ladders...one-rung-at-a-time.
06-11-2006, 11:48 AM
LloydBrown
Board fanatic

Hi, ptib. Thanks for offering your thoughts on ComStar.

Can I ask you something? Where are your sales for TH/TD coming from? Are the majority of them through personal appearances? Are they made through bookstores? TD has no Amazon ranking, indicating no sales at all in 9 months of availability. TH has a ranking of nearly 2,000,000, indicating a brisk 3-4 copies a year or so.

Atlanta Nights, the most unpublishable book ever published, has a ranking of less than 600,000, and it's available for free.

Also, are you a ComStar employee? I only ask because, if you are, and it came out later, your fulsome praise would look a little self-serving, and you would lose some credibility.
06-11-2006, 01:05 PM
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptib
Afterall, no one gets to the top without climbing a few ladders...one-rung-at-a-time.
This may be true in other areas. However, in publishing it's more accurate to say that you wind up at the level where you entered.

Check out the first publications by this week's NYT best sellers (any week) to see what I mean. There honestly isn't a progression from self-published to obscurely-published, to small-press, to major house that makes up a writer's career path.

06-11-2006, 08:20 PM
ptib
Esteemed New Member

Thanks James and Lloyd for your comments.

No, I am not a CSM employee. My sales are coming through websites, personal contacts and bookstores and some through Amazon. Frankly, I don't put a lot of store in Amazon ranking since the original versions of both Tempered Hearts and Tempered Dreams have been available through them since August of 2001 and were only discontinued within the last year or so. In light of the fact that there were several sales of both titles through them before, I have no idea why TD has no ranking. Besides, Amazon doesn't make or break an author, publicity and promotion does.

As for there not being any "progression from self-published to obscurely-published, to small-press, to major house that makes up a writer's career path" we need to keep in mind that several well-known, big-name authors were once self published (John Grisham, Mark Twain).

As I mentioned before, we all have to start somewhere. My start was being E/POD published through Writers Exchange and it is due to my experience with them (with sales of over 400 books) and willingess to work as an author that CSM offered me a contract.

Am I bothered by the fact that a "big named publisher" wouldn't consider my work? Of course! Who wouldn't be?

Do I have other work I'm still pitching to agents and/or editors of "big name" publishing houses? Of course. Although I am happy with CSM to date, I'm not stupid or naive enough to put all of my eggs in one basket and I know that should I receive a contract through said publisher and/or agent the publicity/promotion I'm doing now and that which will come with such a contract will only feed off of each other.

Am I pleased with CSM? You bet'cha! I firmly believe that ComStar has a bright future (pun intended) ahead of them and I'm happy to be in on the ground floor.

Thanks again for your comments. Here's wishing you all the best of God's blessings on your writing careers!

Until later remember....Only when hearts are tempered, minds are opened and wills are softened can man discern the will of God for his life.

Pamela S Thibodeaux
http://www.pamelathibodeaux.com
"Inspirational with an Edge!"

Member/CoFounderBayou Writers Group
http://www.geocities.com/bayouwritersgroup

Enter My Contest...May 15 - June 15
http://www.roadtoromance.ca/contestthibodeauxmay06.htm
The Contest Where Everyone Wins!

Stop by The Romance Readers Room
and Check out My Weekly Blog!
http://www.romancereaders.com/wordpress/
06-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

Quote:
As for there not being any "progression from self-published to obscurely-published, to small-press, to major house that makes up a writer's career path" we need to keep in mind that several well-known, big-name authors were once self published (John Grisham, Mark Twain).
Oh, God. Not this again.

Grisham was never self-published. Look up his first publisher for yourself.

Twain did self-publish, yes, but after he was famous, and not the books you know him for, either. And, for pity's sake, how long ago was that?

See Autobibliophilia for an intellectual-property/publishing lawyer's take on this topic.

In short, yes, you may get famous by self-publishing. You may also survive falling out of an airplane without a parachute, but I wouldn't count on it.
06-11-2006, 09:38 PM
LloydBrown
Board fanatic

Quote:
No, I am not a CSM employee.
Just to be clear: you're not retained in any capacity by ComStar, either as a partner or anything other than an author? Not, say, responsible for author promotions for other authors, for example?

Quote:
My sales are coming through websites, personal contacts and bookstores and some through Amazon.
Well, we know that websites and personal contacts are worth. Uusally 75 to the low hundreds, depending on price and service. We've seen your Amazon sales. That leaves bookstores, which I'll come back to in a minute.

Quote:
Frankly, I don't put a lot of store in Amazon ranking since the original versions of both Tempered Hearts and Tempered Dreams have been available through them since August of 2001
With a different publisher, right? Then it would have a different listing and its own ranking. Amazon removes it after a certain time, but you can find it if you know how to search. That book's ranking has nothing to do with this book's ranking any more than it has to do with my book's ranking.

In fact, I found an old printing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/187...lance&n=283155 is the Writer's Exchange Epublishing version, with a ranking of 2.6 million. Of course, that doesn't mean much this long after it's been OOP. For what it's worth, that printing of TD has a ranking of only 2.5 million.

Also, the current ebook version of TD has no ranking. I couldn't find a current ebook for TH.

Quote:
Besides, Amazon doesn't make or break an author, publicity and promotion does.
The point of publicity is to make sales. Publicity without sales is just a waste of time.

Here's when and why Amazon matters. At some point, somebody will be interested in your book when you're not in their face to sell it to them. Some of those people get up off the couch and go to a bookstore. Some of them write it down on their list of things to buy and pick it up. Some nearly forget about it, until they see it in the store. A fraction of those people go to Amazon.com and order it.

If that fraction of people who have ordered your book through Amazon.com is 0 for one book and 3-4 for another, then the total number of people exposed to your book is very low. It is mathematically improbable for a book to have a low Amazon ranking and high bookstore sales. It is likewise improbable for a book to have high bookstore sales and low Amazon ranking.

An extremely low Amazon ranking indicates a similarly extremely low number of total sales. Now, books in bookstores are sales. Bookstores pay for books shortly after they order them, even if they return them later. Low overall sales through all channels means minimal or no bookstore placement. Getting your book on bookshelves so that you can sell them is the whole point of having a publisher in the first place.

Quote:
Wow. What Aconite said. Perhaps you should base your conclusions on actual facts instead of the same self-publishing propaganda that all the vanity presses spew*. Jim probably sold more books while I was writing this post then you've sold in the past 5 years. He really does know what he's talking about.

*Not implying that ComStar is a vanity press. This stuff just gets all over the place.
06-12-2006, 06:24 AM
ptib
Esteemed New Member

Just to clear the record, no I am not retained by Com Star for author promotions other than my own. I did offer to help as much as possible (with press releases, etc) if the other authors contacted me with information, which none have. There was some talk about me helping with author promotions but no monetary agreement was ever made.

Yes, I've written and posted 1 press release for Comstar but that was my choice (with permission of course) and I have not received any money for my efforts nor any money from CSM for promotion...everything I've spent, I spent out of my own pocket.

I did not post in this forum to start a war, only to show my support of CSM. Alas, this is normally what happens though.

Forgive me if my info on Grisham and Twain is incorrect, but as you say, this stuff gets all over the place. As does any type of negativism --which I despise.

Again, my best wishes to everyone.

Pamela S Thibodeaux
06-12-2006, 08:57 AM
LloydBrown
Board fanatic

Quote:
Just to clear the record, no I am not retained by Com Star for author promotions other than my own. I did offer to help as much as possible (with press releases, etc) if the other authors contacted me with information, which none have. There was some talk about me helping with author promotions but no monetary agreement was ever made.
Fair enough.

Quote:
I did not post in this forum to start a war, only to show my support of CSM. Alas, this is normally what happens though.
I don't see a war. I see one person unfamiliar with publishing making claims and I see authors whose books are on shelves making contrary claims. If you had no interest in the book publishing industry, who would you listen to?

Quote:
Forgive me if my info on Grisham and Twain is incorrect, but as you say, this stuff gets all over the place. As does any type of negativism --which I despise.
What? Can you point out where somebody has been "negative" and hasn't also been absolutely right? I wouldn't call that negativism. I call it objectivity. If you poked your eye out with a fork and somebody said "Hey, that looks like it hurts. Do you want me to call 911?", you wouldn't protest about their negativity, would you?

Well, you might. Most of us would appreciate the help.

Quote:
Again, my best wishes to everyone.
Likewise.
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
ptib
Esteemed New Member

Quote: If you poked your eye out with a fork and somebody said "Hey, that looks like it hurts. Do you want me to call 911?", you wouldn't protest about their negativity, would you?

Of course I wouldn't!

However I consider comments like....

"Well, you might. Most of us would appreciate the help." AND "Jim probably sold more books while I was writing this post then you've sold in the past 5 years."

to be negative regardless of how correct.

Of course I'm interested in the industry and I appreciate all the help I can get and I give back as much as I can also, but I think honest, constructive help can be given without the sarcasm (or negativism or whatever you want to call it).

A minister once said, "hurling words of __ (fill in the blank...judgment, criticism, negativism) is equivalent to stoning."

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but this business is harsh enough without tearing each other down.

JMHO

Pamela S Thibodeaux
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
LloydBrown
Board fanatic

My statements about Jim's sales were not intended to belittle anyone. They were intended to point out respective credibility.

Yours is tiny.
Jim's is extensive.

That's all I was saying.

And I'm taking a break from this thread unless/until something significant comes up.
06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but this business is harsh enough without tearing each other down.
If this exchange seemed rough to you, I suspect you don't spend much time on online venues. There's been no tearing down of anyone in this thread; believe me, there are plenty of sites where responses are a great deal more, um, vigorous and spirited. Online fora in general tend to be more blunt and less delicate than face-to-face interactions. It comes with the territory.
06-12-2006, 07:56 PM
William
Esteemed New Member

Hi all,

I rarely come to the boards, but was a bit surprised to see this thread back.

While I certainly do not want to get into an argument about differing views of the publishing industry (the truth, from best as I can tell, is that different companies operate differently, and that any writer should look for a publisher that best fits them), I do want to offer a few quick pieces of information about a company that I do know (ComStar):

1. We are a small press... out of fiction publications, we only have five at present that are out in print. We will have close to that many coming out from now until the end of the year.

2. We financed the start of our company through our personal savings and a loan. Even with the money we spend on the company (including the costs that go into editing, layout, graphics, and to market and publish), we have been fortunate to have made enough money to nearly pay off our start up loan.

3. We have *never* charged our authors for any of our operations. We pay for all the editing, graphics, layout, etc... we have never, and will never be a 'vanity press'. As a result, we have had to turn down some books that I believe were very good--we just have to be careful to not overextend ourselves.

4. We have never missed a single royalty payment to a single author.

It is certainly wise advice for anyone considering approaching a publisher to understand that, just as an author has to be approved by the publisher, the publisher has to be approved by the author. There are so many publishers in the world now that an author does have a lot of choices. A publisher that is a good match for one author, is probably a poor choice for another author.

Ask yourself what goals you have... do your homework... consider your options, and make the best choice for you. Understand that the publisher is going thru the same process, and will make the best choice for them.

I hope each of you do find the publisher that is a good match for you (whether that publisher is ComStar or not).

Take care!
William
ComStar

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
ComStar Media is a poor publisher. I was with ComStar for an anthlogy which took an extra year to get off the ground. I was so thrilled to have a tale published I got a contract for my series. They did absolutely nothing for 18 months they had to hld my work--no editing, no cover artist, nada. I wrote back canceling my contract for those same reasons. I should have known better than to trust a new small family-business with typos on their site and a huge interest in games vs a small one on novels.