AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dorie Simmonds Agency

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion Mr. Anonymous's Avatar

Dorie Simmonds Agency

They're a london based literary agency. Anyone know anything about them, had any dealings with them? They seem interested in what I've got to offer and I just want to have a better idea of who I am dealing with. They're listed under preditors and editors and have the $ sign next to them, but that's about all I know.

Also, getting WAY ahead of myself here, but would it be a bad idea for an American author to be represented by a Brit literary agency? Thanks guys.

nobody?
    She's listed as a foreign partner for Writers House, but that's all I've managed to find.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anonymous View Post
    Also, getting WAY ahead of myself here, but would it be a bad idea for an American author to be represented by a Brit literary agency? Thanks guys.
    It depends on the work you are offering them. Is it suitable for the British market? If it is then it is an eminently sensible idea - if the work is published and sells well in the UK that can only make it more attractive in other markets.

True enough. But I figure I wouldn't be able to do nearly as much in the way of interviews, book signings, book readings, etc. Ah well. I'll take what I can get, for now. I'm not at the right point to start getting picky. lol.

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Interviews, book signings, and book readings fall naturally into place if your publisher has the ability to sell books. That should be your number one concern.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

All right, cool, thank you. One thing.

I did find the agency listed on the london book fair site. Does anyone know anything about the site itself? Is it reputable?

http://www.londonbookfair.co.uk/page...ite=0M0L0K_623

Here's what it says about Dorie.

Literary agency representing commercial fiction and non-fiction, as well as children's books with a diverse client list including the international bestselling authors Barbara and Allan Pease, J. Randy Taraborrelli, Gemma Townley, Greg King, Paul Scott, Alison Bowyer, Ros Taylor and a number of award-winning and bestselling authors in conjunction with US literary agents.

The London Book Fair is one of the biggest events in the publishing world year so yes, very legit.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anonymous View Post
    It depends where you live: if you live in the UK then yes, look for an agency here, but if you live in America then you'd probably be better off finding an American-based agent.

Most agents have overseas representation, so you'd have an equal chance of making overseas sales no matter where your agent is based.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    The London Book Fair is one of the biggest events in the publishing world year so yes, very legit.
    It's expensive, but anyone can buy a stand there if they stump up the cash. Years ago there was a vanity press there. God.

However, DS is a member of the Association of Authors' Agents, so is almost certainly fine.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Still no website, but lastest sales report is for a "very nice" deal in Dec '10 (to David Fickling Books).
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The Dorie Simmonds Agency is a well established Literary Agency in London working with a host of bestselling and award winning global authors.

On a more personal note, Dorie Simmonds is an excellent agent. She works harder than anyone I know, and is an extremely professional and engaging person. Any writer would be in the best hands with her, she honestly and truly cares and that is rare in this business.

See a small sampling of other client comments below:

On Gemma Malley's on http://www.lovereading4schools.co.uk/book/3044/5412:

What's the best thing you've ever written?
    Probably the letter to my agent, Dorie Simmonds. It was that letter that led to my books being published instead of languishing on my computer hoping to be read by someone!

From Jennifer Donnelly's Carnegie Award acceptance speech for A GATHERING LIGHT also a bestselling book in the UK http://www.jenniferdonnelly.com/News...iespeech.html:

"To Steve Malk and Dorie Simmonds, my agents, thank you so much for your limitless good counsel and good cheer."

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say. Lady MacBeth's Avatar
    Anyone have updated info on her?

Blogger, author, poop joke maker HoldinHolden's Avatar
    I'm wondering, too. I queried her yesterday and have already exchanged a few e-mails. Not that I'm extremely picky about who I query- but somehow I spaced on her location and didn't realize she was in the UK until just now.
    Totally ridiculous Mommy Blogger- Holdin' Holden
    Author of self-pubbed "Musings of a 20-something Mom..."- on Amazon
    "Kids Are Terrific Turds"- 4/5/16 from Skyhorse Publishing - Order on Amazon now!
    Holdin' Holden- on Facebook

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say. Lady MacBeth's Avatar
    I queried her a week ago and have heard nothing. I wonder if no response means no with her.

practical experience, FTW
    I just submitted to her today and I'll let you guys know if I get a response or not. I do know that she got an assistant last month to help go through the unsolicited queries.

It's a woman's world. amberhuez's Avatar
    Did you ever hear back Jinsune? Had a weird experience with this agent. She asked for an exclusive, and kept sending me emails saying "loving the book so far", asking who else had read it, how many it had been sent to. But then in the end, never responded further. Just dropped off the map. Last update I had from her was that she was near the end and still loving it - then nothing. I waited it out, nudged politely. Still nothing. Weird thing is -from what I can find online, she seems legit. Guess she really hated the ending! Seems she could have sent a revise and resubmit or heck even a form rejection? I don't know it was just weird how keen she was on it, the constant updates, then... nothing. Also very rude and disheartening. Almost put me off the whole querying process.
    Last edited by amberhuez; 10-24-2014 at 05:52 AM.

practical experience, FTW Lauram6123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amberhuez View Post
    She asked for an exclusive, and kept sending me emails saying "loving the book so far", asking who else had read it, how many it had been sent to, a LOT of questions like this - which I guess did seem a bit weird or over eager. But then in the end, never responded further. Just dropped off the map. Last update I had from her was that she was near the end and still loving it - then nothing. I waited it out, nudged politely. Still nothing. Weird thing is -from what I can find online, she seems legit. Guess she really hated the ending! Seems she could have sent a revise and resubmit or heck even a form rejection? I don't know it was just weird how keen she was on it, the constant updates, then... nothing. Also very rude and disheartening. Almost put me off the whole querying process.
    Well that's insanely frustrating. What was the time frame here? How long has she had the full?

It's a woman's world. amberhuez's Avatar
    This was some time ago. She asked for a couple of weeks - so I guess on that angle it could have been worse. But during those 2 weeks I had others request it and couldn't send it out. What really hurt me I think was how much she got my hopes up - and then the total lack of response after so much interest. She was one of the first who asked for a full manuscript. The whole experience was quite hurtful more than anything. But it taught me some valuable lessons. Still quite weird too - I mean even a form rejection would have been SOMETHING after all that build up. Perhaps something came up in her life - I'm not saying anything negative about her. As I said, she's definitely legit from what I can find out online about her, and has good credentials, I guess I just feel she treated me a bit shoddily. Anyway, that was just my experience - onwards and upwards, as they say!
    Last edited by amberhuez; 10-24-2014 at 05:43 AM.

You could call her. UK agents are cooler about be phoned than US agents.

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

My recklessness was overstated Kensingtons's Avatar
    I got a full request from her about 8-9 days ago! And I've been trying to do some research, but I'm kind of hitting a wall.

On her website she lists that she's worked with big name authors in the past. Like wow, she worked with Niel Gaiman, but why for only one book? Is that a red flag, that other people have only worked with her once?

practical experience, FTW screenscope's Avatar
    Interesting. I got a request for my manuscript overnight for a query I sent to them last May.

practical experience, FTW Laurasaurus's Avatar
    Wow, now that's impressive.
    Congrats anyway! (Did it fall down behind a cupboard or something?)

They are one of the few agencies I never heard anything back from at all. I have no problem with 'no response means no' but I do prefer it when they state that on their site somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurasaurus View Post
    Wow, now that's impressive.
    Congrats anyway! (Did it fall down behind a cupboard or something?)

They are one of the few agencies I never heard anything back from at all. I have no problem with 'no response means no' but I do prefer it when they state that on their site somewhere.
    Thanks, Laurasaurus.

I sent around a dozen queries at the same time and this the first response. More to come?

practical experience, FTW Laurasaurus's Avatar
    Ha, quite possibly!

Quote Originally Posted by screenscope View Post
    Interesting. I got a request for my manuscript overnight for a query I sent to them last May.
    Well, I sent them the first three chapters as requested, and received a rejection within 12 hours. They've obviously tightened up their response time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast