AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Ralph M. Vicinanza, Ltd.

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

[Agency] Ralph M. Vicinanza, Ltd.

Hi --

I've searched the threads here, but I haven't found any info on Matthew Mahoney. According to Agent Query, he works for Vicinanza, but since I couldn't find a website for V -- I can't find any solid info on Mahoney.

Anybody have any info?
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    The only weblink I found didnít work, but they are listed on P&E.

Ralph Vicinanza Ltd.: $ A literary agency. Ralph Vicinanza: (Literary, Adult) Contact at:

303 West 18th Street
    New York, NY 10011
    Not much help, am I?
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    This lists 3 agents at Ralph M. Vicinanza Ltd.; Matthew Mahoney isn't listed (but, of course, that doesn't mean anything; Mr. Mahoney could be a junior agent or it might not have been updated in a while).

Apparently, the agency has an Amazon page. This *might* be a listing of their stable of writers, but I could be completely wrong on that. (Might just be a listing of books people at the agency has read and liked.)

Holy moly! Just found this at this site:

Ralph M. Vicinanza Ltd. is a New York City based literary agency that handles literary and commercial fiction and non-fiction, particularly specializing in fantasy, science fiction, and thrillers. Other areas of interest include science, history, serious spirituality, literary fiction, womenís fiction, and young adult fiction. Their authors include Stephen King and Robert A. Heinlein.

Yeow - King and Heinlein! Two biggies at this agency. (Still nothing about the agent the OP mentioned, though.)

Ah, there's this on Matthew Mahoney on Query Tracker.

Lastly, there's Mr. Mahoney's Agent Query page.

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl1962 View Post

Ralph M. Vicinanza Ltd. is a New York City based literary agency that handles literary and commercial fiction and non-fiction, particularly specializing in fantasy, science fiction, and thrillers. Other areas of interest include science, history, serious spirituality, literary fiction, womenís fiction, and young adult fiction. Their authors include Stephen King and Robert A. Heinlein.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was RAH's agent at one time. Spectrum currently represents Heinlein's estate. Apparently he represents Asimov's estate, though. Solid enough!

They rep Pratchett, too. My agent Chris Lotts is with Vicinanza; I've sent him an email to check on this, so I'll post a reply when I get one (may be a few days due to BEA).

Update: Yep, he confirmed it, and said very nice things too.
    Last edited by Stacia Kane; 05-30-2008 at 01:22 AM.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DecemberQuinn View Post
    They rep Pratchett, too. My agent Chris Lotts is with Vicinanza; I've sent him an email to check on this, so I'll post a reply when I get one (may be a few days due to BEA).

Update: Yep, he confirmed it, and said very nice things too.
    Great! Thanks for following through on this --
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

practical experience, FTW Robyn's Avatar
    Anymore info on this agency? Website or such? I'm thinking of sending out my vamp novel and/or my shifter series to them.

They will come from below... Tasmin21's Avatar
    Chris Lotts is my agent, and I have nothing but great things to say about him. Give it a shot!
    On Literary Intent, Facebook, Twitter, Reluctant Adults

Second Olympus: Now Available!
    The Music Box Girl: Coming April 26th!
    Peacemaker: Re-release June 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Anymore info on this agency? Website or such? I'm thinking of sending out my vamp novel and/or my shifter series to them.
    They don't have a website; apparently they keep meaning to, but are generally so busy they just haven't gotten to it yet.

All I can say is they're a very solid, venerable agency; I adore my agent (Chris Lotts, as I said above) and am proud to be repped by him. He sold my book(s), and we're working on some other things for him to sell . He's always available for me and is incredibly supportive before and after the sale; like Tamsin, I can't say enough good things about him!

Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Bright lights induce scuttling soulcascade's Avatar
    FYI I just queried Adam Lefton and received this message:

Thank you for your email. Please note that Adam Lefton no longer works with Ralph Vicinanza, Ltd.

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcascade View Post
    FYI I just queried Adam Lefton and received this message:

Thank you for your email. Please note that Adam Lefton no longer works with Ralph Vicinanza, Ltd.
    Yeah, he left earlier this year. I queried him in Jan and found out not long after that he was gone. But I never got a message! Still don't know where he went to.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    This web page implies that his agency is some kind of partner or subsidiary of Spectrum.

Christopher Schelling there represents my friend Ellen Kushner (Swordspoint).

practical experience, FTW
    I may be too late with this, but I googled Matthew Mahoney and Backspace writer's conference came up with his picture and a short bio for anyone still interested.
    Still alive

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin MelMel's Avatar
    Mr. Mahoney called our query "excellent" and asked for a partial, stating that he'd get back to us "soon" last week. Anyone know what soon is to Mr. Mahoney? (A month? Two? Three?) We are so flattered that he seemed genuinely excited to read our work!! That right there felt like a win of sorts.

I'll admit A) I'm a noob and B) all this waiting seems harder than writing the book almost!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin stafford.as's Avatar

Matthew Mahoney brief bio

Quote Originally Posted by smallthunder View Post
    Hi --

I've searched the threads here, but I haven't found any info on Matthew Mahoney. According to Agent Query, he works for Vicinanza, but since I couldn't find a website for V -- I can't find any solid info on Mahoney.

Anybody have any info?
    Hi there. Mahoney was a panelist at the 2009 Backspace writer's conference, and they published a little bio of him. You can find it (with picture) at this address: http://www.backspacewritersconferenc...nt/view/76/34/.

My writing partner and I have a partial out to him at the moment, and since everything we've read/heard about the agency is positive, we've got our fingers crossed that he's interested.

Hope this helps.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin MelMel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stafford.as View Post
    Hi there. Mahoney was a panelist at the 2009 Backspace writer's conference, and they published a little bio of him. You can find it (with picture) at this address: http://www.backspacewritersconferenc...nt/view/76/34/.

My writing partner and I have a partial out to him at the moment, and since everything we've read/heard about the agency is positive, we've got our fingers crossed that he's interested.

Hope this helps.
    Why hello thar! I do believe we've met.
    I can't wait until I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff.

http://twitter.com/astaffandmelmel
    (Yep, we drank the Twitter-Aid.)

figuring it all out
    Just got a partial request for a query sent on 11/27. Very fast, very polite.
    http://redqueen1.livejournal.com/
    http://twitter.com/katee_robert

Hunter of the Dead: Query-go-round
    Queen of Swords: Rewrite

Expert Procrastinator AlterEgox5's Avatar
    Just sent something today - we'll see what happens (and how long his reply takes!).

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Ralph Vicinanza is a 600-pound gorilla.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi View Post

That explains why Chris thanked me for the chocolates I sent but said bananas would have been better.

Getting back up again Dawnny Baby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi View Post
    Eeeeek! I was going to query, but now am scared! Do you mean to say that they, as a firm, are a force to be reckoned with and impossible for publishers to ignore? Or do you mean that Mr. Vicinanza is an extremely overweight and hairy individual with barbaric manners (and, thus, not a nice person)?

Last edited by Dawnny Baby; 12-16-2009 at 01:07 AM. Reason: added "w/ barbaric manners," b/c heavy, hairy people can be perfectly delightful.

Getting back up again Dawnny Baby's Avatar
    Whew! Thanks, Terie!

Querying away....

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmin21 View Post
    Chris Lotts is my agent, and I have nothing but great things to say about him. Give it a shot!
    I queried Mr. Lotts a few weeks ago, but I now see that they take new authors by recommendation only.... so I guess I'll never hear back....
    That's too bad, from what he has on AgentQuery he was a perfect match for my thriller!

Cheers

They will come from below... Tasmin21's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sciri View Post
    I queried Mr. Lotts a few weeks ago, but I now see that they take new authors by recommendation only.... so I guess I'll never hear back....
    That's too bad, from what he has on AgentQuery he was a perfect match for my thriller!

Cheers
    I wasn't aware that Chris was taking authors by recommendation only. Neither AgentQuery nor Querytracker say this. He does say, however, that he typically only responds to queries he's interested in.
    On Literary Intent, Facebook, Twitter, Reluctant Adults

Second Olympus: Now Available!
    The Music Box Girl: Coming April 26th!
    Peacemaker: Re-release June 2016

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast