• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lyrical Press

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
I'm collecting "small presses" for a submission list after I've exhausted possible agency representation for my fantasy.

On Romancing the Blog, there's an advertisement for Lyrical Press. Are they too new to have a paper or e-trail? Has anyone heard anything?

They seem to e-publish a lot of different genres, but I didn't find much about their contract terms.

Url: http://www.lyricalpress.com/

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They do look very new. The owner names are listed in this subforum's Master list with a different publisher, but the links are broken.

Lyrical does have better-than-average looking cover art, but other than that it's hard to guess. Maybe contact some of their authors and ask for info?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As I recall they are newish. If you are looking for epublishers of fantasy there are a fairly small number I would recommend (those I will buy from). That would be mainly Double Dragon and Hard Shell.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, not sure what happened to the other thread...if I find it again I'll resurrect, otherwise: *poof* this is the new thread for Lyrical Press, formerly Dragon Spell Publishing, owned by Renee Rocco aka Rene Lyons.

Dara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.capriciousquills.com
I've submitted to Lyrical and am waiting to hear back. I don't know a lot about them, other than that one of their authors tells me she's been satisfied with her experience there.

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning;

Hi Sean!

Just wanted to let you all know we've recently changed the About page, adding more information. Here is the update:

Lyrical Press, Inc. is a New York based small press owned by the husband and wife team of Frank and Renee Rocco. Our goal is to provide authors with a reliable and pleasant home for their books, while offering readers an eclectic mix of quality titles to chose from.

LPI pays 40% of the cover price for a single-author eBook. Our contract is available for review upon acceptance of your submission, and open to negotiations. We offer our authors many marketing resources to help navigate the publishing waters, as well as with the business of being an author.

Although Lyrical Press specializes in erotica and romance, we are actively seeking many genres and welcome all submissions except for young adult and poetry. LPI publishes both electronic format and Print On Demand for select titles over 70,000 words.

We've grown quickly since our beginnings in December 2007, and even faster since our launch in May, although we believe in crawling before we run. We're taking everything in stride, allowing for natural growth, rather than rush things and possibly implode.

Some fanatstic news is, we've recently signed with Sony and are waiting to hear from back Fictionwise now that we qualify to list our books with them.

If you have any questions about LPI please don't hesitate to ask. As Sean can tell you, we welcome any and all questions a/o concerns and do our best to get back to people as quickly as possible.

Dara, when did you submit to us and what is the name of of your manuscript?

Thank you, everyone, for your interest in LPI.
Renee Rocco

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you were one of the 'good news' emails I sent out, Dara! :)

- Renee

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I submitted a full MS that I rewrote from a previous editions that is no longer in print. I submitted it the end of Aug. Waiting for a reply. So far they have been very informative of questions I sent to them and quick to reply.

Jennifer Robins

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the slow reply. August was when we started getting a rush of submissions. We're actually almsot caught up now and you should be hearing from us shortly.

Thank you for considering Lyrical Press! We truly appreciate all of the submissions we've gotten.

- Renee

Last edited:

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
No problem, Jennifer. We're doing our best to accommodate LPI's growth. We've recently put out a call for editors. An increase in staff will help with the workflow and allow us to maintain a relatively rapid turnaround on submissions.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
No problem, Jennifer. We're doing our best to accommodate LPI's growth. We've recently put out a call for editors. An increase in staff will help with the workflow and allow us to maintain a relatively rapid turnaround on submissions.

That's real good news. The very best to you. Sounds like you're growing all right.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I recieved word last night. They will not be offering me a contract on mine but I'm happy that this all happened because it gave me the incentive to re write this book and make it better. I feel confidennt I will find a home for it. Good luck to the those who are still waiting.

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer, rejections are never easy for us to send, so I thank you for your positive attitude. Should you revise this book, feel free to resend it to Lyrical. We'd be happy to take a second look at it.

Lesli, thank you! You blew me away with your review of Lyrical.

The print campaign Lesli referred to is our upcoming ads in Romantic Times, Penny Blood and TAPS Magazines. For those who don't know, TAP is the magazine put out by the people of the sci-fi show Ghost Hunters. Many of us at LPI are serious GH fans. In fact, our author Rose Pressey actually knows some of the guys from The Atlantic Paranormal Society!

RT Magazine needs no explination. ;)

Penny Blood is a small horror based magazine. This outlet will, hopefully, grab the attention of potentioal readers for our horror novels.

These ads will be out in the December issues of these magazines to commemorate the one year anniverary of our company's debut. We also hope these ads will help introduce eBooks to readers who are unfamilar with this format.

- Renee

Dara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.capriciousquills.com
Lyrical also runs in-house training/educational chats for authors on the business end of things - how to do effective promotions, etc. to help us succeed. They emphasize that the writers can't just sit there and write, that they have to take an active participation in the process throughout.

I can second this. I've just begun a Lyrical workshop and am finding it very helpful. I've also been happily surprised with the amount of communication that goes on. I've never been left to wonder what's happening with my book or what the next step will be. They offer a lot of information about the process, and although they encourage their authors to be active promotionally, Lyrical definately does a lot of promotion on their author's behalfs as well.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I cannot help but add, as I usually do, that author promo is great but only very rarely has a significant effect on sales. I base that on having looked quite closely at data from over 200 romance ebooks.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
After further discussion about my novel and what it needed, Lyrical offered me a contract to publish in electronic format, with the agreement it could go into print some time later. Renee is very nice to work with and we came to a successful agreement on what the work needs. What Happened to Anna? will see the light of day once again and that makes me very happy.

Jennifer Robins
www.jenniferrobins.com

Dara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.capriciousquills.com
I cannot help but add, as I usually do, that author promo is great but only very rarely has a significant effect on sales. I base that on having looked quite closely at data from over 200 romance ebooks.

I totally agree with this. That's why I'm relieved to see a publisher who tackles the promotion end themselves, and doesn't expect their authors to be the sole source. I like to see a publisher putting out ads, doing interviews, and anything else they can to get their name out there.

Btw congrats to you, Jennifer, and good luck with the work on your book!

emlynley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emlynley.com
GLBT promos?

Since Renee has been so active in responding to comments here, I'd like to know more about what your plans are for promoting Gay/Lesbian titles you have? I write m/m erotic romance, so promos in RT or a fantasy/sci-fi mag wouldn't help sales of anything I'd submit. But I admit I'm tempted by the author support you have and advice on marketing.

-Em

Lyrical Press

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Em. To date, we’ve promoted only to generalized erotica-based communities. That is going to change, however. Now that LPI is well past our debut, we can properly launch aggressive targeted marketing plans for specific genres and sub-genres.

We're in the process of researching the GLBT community and formulating a solid marketing plan, which we will execute in the very near future. I’m sure you can understand why we are reluctant to write the details on a public forum. ;)

Jennifer and Dara, you are incredible. We’re honored to have you with us!

Yes, we are doing our part to actively promote LPI. As I stated above, now that we are well past our launch, we are able to be more aggressive in our promotional campaign. We’ve expanded to print ads and are researching other (experimental) venues (sorry, these are top secret!) in a bid to get our house ‘out there’. Part of our effort to expand LPI is to help educate our authors on the art of promotions. It’s our hope that at the conclusion of the five-week in-house workshop we’re conducting, LPI will function as a solid promotional unit.