They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
apparently not :)

An intumescent is a substance which swells as a result of heat exposure.

Let's not even go to the place where I was giving my manager a basic grammar lesson ( I mean jeez, he's 25 and he doesn't know what a noun is? I had to explain all sorts. The red ball. Ball is a noun, you know like the name of an object. Red describes the noun and is what we call an adjective. See spot chase the ball...) much to the amusement of several customers. The amusement factor was probably helped by the fact that my manager is not only an arse, but oddly immune to sarcasm....

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Normosmic.

It means able to smell. That's the kind of word you get to learn when you discover you have a rare genetic condition.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
clochard:

not just a bum... not just a French bum... but a Parisian bum, apparently a specifically local and colorful Parisian homeless person at that.

Only the French would have a word like this. :D

beautiation

Registered
Reaction score
clochard:

not just a bum... not just a French bum... but a Parisian bum, apparently a specifically local and colorful Parisian homeless person at that.

Only the French would have a word like this. :D

Ha, I thought you meant the other kind of bum for a second there, which would have been even stranger!

Deshabille: A state of undress. One of those word I so instantly love I know I'll probably go out of my way to get it as much as possible in my writing, so my characters can expect a shot in the arm for their sex lives.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I do know lots of other words for that *other* kind of bum... though as an American, I generally don't use "bum" unless it's for the homeless.

Or the sports teams I root for when they lose. :D

Cherry Bear

red fish, blue fish
Registered
Reaction score
second star to the right, and straight on till mor
filibustered

It was on a test I took and I had no clue what it meant, but it stuck in my mind for some reason so when I got home I dictionary.com-ed it. It's some political term (how can they even expect me to know that?) about using "irregular or obstructive tactics to impede the legislation".

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
filibustered

It was on a test I took and I had no clue what it meant, but it stuck in my mind for some reason so when I got home I dictionary.com-ed it. It's some political term (how can they even expect me to know that?) about using "irregular or obstructive tactics to impede the legislation".

If you're an American I would presume they expected you to know it because it is not only a political tactic, but a very specific one unique to the Senate.

A filibuster is, contrary to dictionary.com, a legitimate means of obstruction where a Senator can speak on any topic at all - even reading the phone book - for as long as he/she chooses, in order to block a vote on legislation. It is a formal tool in the Senate, and requires a 2/3rds (at least off the top of my head I think it's two thirds) vote to overcome it.

It's been used rather famously in the past, and threatened numerous other times, so I would hesitate to categorize it as "irregular."

And if you're not an American, but studying politics, you still ought to know it. :D

Cherry Bear

red fish, blue fish
Registered
Reaction score
second star to the right, and straight on till mor
I am an American, but not a very political one; my test was absolutely irrelevant to politics, because it was judging my vocabulary skills. You're defining a noun, but do you happen to know what the verb one means? I marked it as the right answer and I'm really curious if I got it right or not. Too bad I can't remember in what context it was used.

Ms. Jem

Love, Lust and Ghosts
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danitaminnis.com
Perspicacity: keeness of mental perception and understanding.

I came across this in Elizabeth Kostova's Historian.

Sounds like something Julie Andrew's character would have said in the Sound of Music.

beautiation

Registered
Reaction score
Perspicacity: keeness of mental perception and understanding.

I came across this in Elizabeth Kostova's Historian.

Sounds like something Julie Andrew's character would have said in the Sound of Music.

That's a really cool one. Even more fun to say. Per-spic-AC-ity, it's like going up and down a mountain. I love words that make you take a little run up, if that makes any sense! :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
koine

\koy-NAY\
noun

Meaning
1 capitalized : the Greek language commonly spoken and written in eastern Mediterranean countries in the Hellenistic and Roman periods
*2 : a dialect or language of a region that has become the common or standard language of a larger area

Skye Jules

March 15th: Issue 1 release
Registered
Reaction score
lad-lit--story with strictly guy-related things

I didn't think the term existed. I had only heard the term chick-lit, but never lad-lit. I mean, I got most of the information from Libba Bray, who in an interview said she hated the term-chick lit, and that she had never heard anyone call a book with strictly guys guy-lit. And she's a New York Times Bestselling author!

*shrugs*

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
cabotage

\KAB-uh-tahzh\
noun

1 : trade or transport in coastal waters or airspace or between two points within a country
2 : the right to engage in coastal trade or transport

... I like when a word doesn't even come close to meaning what I expect it to when I first see it. :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
battue

it's pronounce bat-TOO and this is when you beat the trees or the grass or the bushes to spook out game when you're hunting...

I'd never known there a term for it :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
also something I didn't know the term for:

growlet: @#$%! ... no, that's what it is. The growlet is when comics characters swear.

hypaethral: 1 : having a roofless central space 2 : open to the sky

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lad-lit--story with strictly guy-related things

I didn't think the term existed. I had only heard the term chick-lit, but never lad-lit. I mean, I got most of the information from Libba Bray, who in an interview said she hated the term-chick lit, and that she had never heard anyone call a book with strictly guys guy-lit. And she's a New York Times Bestselling author!

*shrugs*
I thought it was Dude-Lit. To me, lad would point more at pre-pubescent to pubescent males. Synonyms of lad = boy, youth, young man, schoolboy.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, lad-lit is YA but more commonly MG books aimed at boys. I would think the equivalent of Chick-lit is Bromance.

Status
Not open for further replies.