• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

QCorp Literary & Screen Agency

kevacho

Hey everybody, :grin

This new post is regarding a recent query of mine, as well as a screenplay agent I spent a year with.

Lately, I've been sending out a lot of queries to a lot of different places, and I just wanted to let people know about a certain agency in Oregon, that they might want to think about avoiding. I queried them with the first paragraph from one of my novels (granted, I was hesitant to do so at first because they mentioned something about "critique services", but I did it anyway. Yah… yah, I am a glutton for castigation!) They returned the first chapter to me cut up and horribly edited (I mean, the guy told me I shouldn't underline my words... okay, but I want them in italics! A reputable agent told me that if you want your words in italics you underline them. Right? RIGHT?) Then they offered to "critique" the entire novel for me at a mere pittance... .75 CENTS A FLIPPIN' PAGE! Then, of course, they told me that just because they "critiqued" the novel didn't mean that they would take me on as a new client. Sure... whatever, man! :shrug

So, steer clear of Qcorp Literary and Screen Agency, they're based in Hillsboro, Oregon, and, in truth (I looked up), are actually signatories with WGA west; which helps you not if you're attempting to get your novel published.

In addition, I wanted to retell a personal story, and warn some people not to make the same mistake I made. Last year, I signed with a screenplay agent and paid an up front fee of $125 dollars. The agent was Lenny Minelli of A Picture of You Literary Agency. I was with him for a year, he threw around many names, and plenty of big numbers, but I did not see a thing… no money, no sell, no credit. Furthermore, when I asked him for rejection letters and the like, he said he got his "passes" and rejections all by word of mouth, and the only rejection letter he could provide me was one to a contest I had entered. The past year with him was all very informative and very frustrating and annoying. In truth, I was never able to catch Lenny in an "out and out" lie, but after my annoyance with him grew, I did more research, and found that no one- people on this website and others- could find any information that he had sold ANYTHING. And supposedly he's been in the business for over 8 years. The only truth I could find is that he worked on a movie with Claire Daines called Polish Wedding and got credit for, of all things, Kraft Services. I realize now, thanks to websites like absolute write and predators and editors, that I broke the cardinal rule of "the writer" by paying an up front fee. Trust me, lesson learned.

In short, writers, avoid Qcorp and A Picture of You Literary Agency. They both charge up front fees! Don't make the same mistake I made. Gah! :head

Sgt Spanky

Re: Writer be warned... Qcorp literary and screen agency!

The whole fee thing is such a dead giveaway I'm amazed anyone still falls for it. Well, I suppose everyone's fresh and naive at first.

All part of the game.

vstrauss

Kevacho, thanks for posting this. Writer Beware has gotten several complaints about both QCorp and A Picture of You.

Did you keep any of your documentation (contracts, correspondence, etc.?) If so, Writer Beware would love to have it. You can send it c/o me, PO Box 1216, Amherst MA 01004. We'll gladly reimburse any copying or postage expense. Info shared with us is held in confidence.

- Victoria

JustinoXV

Kevacho,

for screenplay agents, basically if someone is not in Los Angeles, that in itself is usually a bad sign.

The only place out of LA that has any screenplay agents that have made Hollywood sales is NYC.

Go to the www.wga.org website and check out agents in both states. Also keep in mind that agencies can get kicked off the WGA list. Some agents that tell you that they are WGA signatories may have been kicked off or perhaps never were.

And even on the website, there are a couple of questionable agents. You really want to stick with the named agents with track records.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Forrest, thanks for the offer of sending the contract. It'd be very useful for my files.

QCorp claims a number of book sales. However, a check of the publication dates for the "recent" sales listed on its website shows that many aren't recent at all--several date back before the turn of the century. Also, all those that have pub dates in 2000 or later have been placed with specialty or independent publishers, which don't require authors to be agented (i.e., the authors could likely have made these sales themselves). This is a really tiny track record, given that the agency has been in business since the early 1990's--adding up to less than one book a year. Compare this with a successful midsize agency, which will sell anywhere from 10-50 books annually.

- Victoria

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Don't know, but I found an interesting sample of a QCorp critique.

It's from this page: http://sainttail.com/rejection.htm
One place I mailed to offered to edit my first ten pages for a minimal charge, which I happily paid. Their response to me was in English...I can only assume. And they loved the word snatching.

Here is the actual critique: http://www.sainttail.com/6.jpg

Agents do NOT need to make money off critiques this way-- real agents make their money by selling books.

Pingo

Registered
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to do a reply anyway.

My name is J. Pingo Lindstrom, and I am from Sweden. I have been with QCorp for more than eight years now, and only have good experiences with them. Currently, I have two feature films in development and I've also been able to write and produce a computer game with QCorp as my representation.

Because of QCorp I have had the opportunity to get my scripts read by stars, and I have been able to approach established people & companies in the entertainment business with my scripts and other projects.

I believe the first poster here confused the critic service with QCorp's agent service. QCorp, as all other agencies, only takes up clients with talent that can show good work. The critic service is for anyone to use - and pay for.

QCorp is WGA-signatory, and as such they need to follow WGA-rules. During my years at that agency I have never had any complaints, and they have never asked for any money or weird fees.

J. Pingo Lindstrom
www.Pingo.name
Sweden

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site is gone. Anyone have the WGA signatory list for Oregon?