The Closer I Get, the Less I Seem to Want It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Universal problem? A common hurdle to jump before selling? Or am I running out of steam?

I've been working (Ha, that's a laugh!) on my WIP for an obscene amount of time. I know the story. It's in my head. I'm at the 3/4 mark. I can't get myself excited about it. I did the unthinkable and wrote a query and sent out a few submissions hoping it would light a fire under me. I should mention I've had no problem finishing both novellas and 110k novels in the past, to the point I was writing five to ten pages a day. Now, pffft.

I've gotten requests, and a request for revisions, so I stopped submitting (I know, I shouldn't have done that; I'm sorry. But I only sent a few out.) Now I can't get in gear!

Before, I blamed my job for sucking the soul out of my creativity; but I've been layed off (between contracts) since January, and nothing. My mom passed away (after a long illness so it was a blessing) in January, and my husband's grandmother, who was truly a mother to him passed away in February, so these events may be a factor. I don't have to go back to my job if I don't want to; and I probably won't so it shouldn't be the issue.

I thought it was ADD so I saw my doctor and she prescribed something. She also thought it could be PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) but I already had addressed my issues with work by going part-time and no longer photographing personal PE; only shipments of crates and containers which makes a big difference; not so "up close and personal."

I've never been this close. I know what I'm working on has real market potential. But where's my fire? Could it be my (ahem) age? I've been starting with those fun hormonal changes; but I think I'm handling that pretty well. <g!>

So what's my problem?

Elaine,
who really does want this!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Before, I blamed my job for sucking the soul out of my creativity; but I've been layed off (between contracts) since January, and nothing. My mom passed away (after a long illness so it was a blessing) in January, and my husband's grandmother, who was truly a mother to him passed away in February, so these events may be a factor.
They are a factor. I wrote through many difficult and long-term crappy life situations, but I took no joy in what I wrote. I had no motivation. It was rote discipline. Then everything changed. It's made a huge difference in my writing. Even if you didn't like your creativity-sucking job, getting layed off is not pleasant and leaves a mark.

Give yourself some time. Maybe take up a nice, stress-relieving hobby. Find ways to reconnect with yourself and your life so that you get back to a place suitable for writing what you want to finish. In the meantime, try writing something else.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Also, the book you're writing might be bogging you down. I've raced through some books, and sludged through others. Sometimes if it's hard to write (or you're not enjoying it), it'll seem like a chore to return to.

Could it be something like that?

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
I think that you might need a break. Have you been working every day, or for a very long time on the same book? Maybe you need to let your mind relax a little for a while. Take a break and watch a good movie or something, maybe read a book. This helps me even when I suffer a loss.

I lost someone very dear to me recently, and it took me a while to get over it(honestly, I think I never will) and books got me distracted from it long enough to where I could actually handle it reasonably well.

I'm sorry for your loss!

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
I have a question for you...do you have a fear of success? Many writers do. It's one thing to want something, another to achieve it and then have the pressure on you from all fronts. Will the readers like it? Will it do well enough to make the publisher happy? How will I promote it, and how will I find the time to do so? How much will my life change because of this?

And then there's the biggest question of all: can I do it again? Because that's the expectation, to keep going.

It's pretty natural to have some fear of success, when it brings so much change.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I
And then there's the biggest question of all: can I do it again? Because that's the expectation, to keep going.

It's pretty natural to have some fear of success, when it brings so much change.

Not only the fear of success and change, but the fear of not being able to make the next project better than your last. I have that all the time.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've heard about this fear of success. I myself know nothing of it -- it's success that's afraid of me. ;)

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I'm a cognitive therapist and see variations of this all the time. Hormones do play a role, but I suspect there are also thoughts behind this. We tend to think that people WANT to take power in their lives, but often the opposite is true. Taking power also means taking responsibility, and that part scares 'em to death. You need to think about what it would mean if you plunged forward with this...both the best and worst outcome scenarios and how you would handle them. What feelings crop up as you think about each side? Make a note of those specific feelings because therein lies the key.

Okay, I'll get off my therapist soapbox now, but I just couldn't help it because I've had so many clients with a similar situation.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Back up your work somewhere safe, then delete the last ten pages you wrote and start up again. Usually when I get stuck/unmotivated it's when I've started taking the story where it doesn't want to go. If that doesn't work, you might try deleting 20 or 30 pages.

Good luck!

Nicole

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a cognitive therapist and see variations of this all the time. Hormones do play a role, but I suspect there are also thoughts behind this. We tend to think that people WANT to take power in their lives, but often the opposite is true. Taking power also means taking responsibility, and that part scares 'em to death. You need to think about what it would mean if you plunged forward with this...both the best and worst outcome scenarios and how you would handle them. What feelings crop up as you think about each side? Make a note of those specific feelings because therein lies the key.

Okay, I'll get off my therapist soapbox now, but I just couldn't help it because I've had so many clients with a similar situation.

Interesting, and possibly true! But I also think I'm inhertantly lazy and now that I know how much work it is, I'm rethinking the whole writing thing. lol

Still, I'm giving this some weight~

Status
Not open for further replies.