• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kendall Publication

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Kendall Publication? It looks like a POD that offers other services, such as book signings, editing, reviews, etc. I am assisting their current book reviewer and want to know if I should continue. Any thoughts/experiences?

http://www.kendallpublication.com/

ETA: I tried to search the forums, but nothing came up. Please direct me if I missed something.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
After doing more research on Kendall's web site, (cred to Soccer Mom here):

This is a vanity press.

They want their authors to pay up front for publication, and then only pay back 30% royalties.

Anyone had experiences with them?

Diver_dave

Registered
Reaction score
Kendall Publication...

Yes, Kendall Publication is a print on demand publisher, but they are so much more. I am one of their authors, I am not a writer by trade but had a great story to tell. Following the advice of our editor I sent out query letters and had my fill of rejection. Some of them were pretty darn funny. Considering I had been told that my genre was the easiest to sell and the response I got revealed that many of the agents/publishers had not even read my Ms.

On to the so much more part: What you get in return is huge compared to the competition. The most important thing, as you published authors already know, is that the books are returnable at no extra cost to the author and they offer the standard distributors discount. So unlike the "Publish America" companies Kendall will have your book in stores.

To top it all off you are treated with the utmost respect and professionalism. Keep your eyes on this company because they are going places.

If you have any questions please ask away I will be more than happy to answer them, but I would say that you should reserve your judgment until you have spoken to them.

Crystals Reviews

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Kendall Publication is a POD Company but we offer a lot of services that most POD companies do not offer...and if they do they charge extra for those services.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us, and you will get a reply the same day or at the latest the day after. [email protected] or [email protected]

Kendall is a POD company as I stated but we do offer much more than most POD's on the market. We have one on one contact with ALL of our authors, we do cover art and edits if needed, book reviews that are posted on amazon, barnes and noble, as well as a few other blogs, author interviews, virtual book tours, radio shows, and we even call and set up the book signings for you for 3 months!
We also offer the option for video book trailers and book marks at discount prices.

Diver Dave is a new author to Kendall and I'm sure he can attest that we're not a 9-5 company, we work around the clock pushing the author's book into the world. We are very professional when dealing with our authors, what we do could effect their decision to go with Kendall again in the future and of course we want them to stay with us.
As I said if you have any questions please feel free to email us and we will promptly respond.

Crystal Adkins
Head of Author Interviews/Reviews
PR Kendall Publication

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Welcome to AW.

Yes, Kendall Publication is a print on demand publisher, but they are so much more. I am one of their authors, I am not a writer by trade but had a great story to tell. Following the advice of our editor I sent out query letters and had my fill of rejection. Some of them were pretty darn funny. Considering I had been told that my genre was the easiest to sell and the response I got revealed that many of the agents/publishers had not even read my Ms.

Not unusual. It can take hundreds of rejections and a great deal of honing your skills before someone finally reads a portion or all of one of your manuscripts.

On to the so much more part: What you get in return is huge compared to the competition. The most important thing, as you published authors already know, is that the books are returnable at no extra cost to the author and they offer the standard distributors discount. So unlike the "Publish America" companies Kendall will have your book in stores.

No, they won’t. The will be available for order through brick and mortars. They won’t be shelved, except possibly if you go to one of your local bookstores and they place a copy of your book in their local author section.

To top it all off you are treated with the utmost respect and professionalism. Keep your eyes on this company because they are going places.

If you have any questions please ask away I will be more than happy to answer them, but I would say that you should reserve your judgment until you have spoken to them.

They are a vanity/subsidy publisher who uses POD technology to print the books. However, their price seems reasonable (at least lower) for this type of press at $650.00. They offer editing services for additional fees, apparently to outside sources.

we will find affordable editors that
can help you fine tune your manuscript if it lacks the spit shine finish that
would make your writing career a success.

One wonders if these editors are in any way affiliated with the publisher or if the publisher gets a kickback?

Subsidy/vanity publishing plus POD will get you nothing more than the ability to sell at online bookseller sites (along with every other book that has an ISBN) and some local book signings. Their marketing service consists of free advice with no actual in the field marketing, unless they have just failed to mention that on their site.

Because we have our own Marketing Team we are able to aid all of
our Authors with Marketing
techniques for FREE in order to assist them with their success!
No other Print On Demand will do this without charging you extra!

If this is the goal you have set for your writing, then best of luck. But it isn’t a leg up to a serious writing career nor is it a publishing credit.

Last edited:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Kendall Publication is a POD Company but we offer a lot of services that most POD companies do not offer...and if they do they charge extra for those services.

Welcome to AW. You use POD technology to print your books and you print them on demand.

However, your business model is that of a subsidy/vanity publisher.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us, and you will get a reply the same day or at the latest the day after. [email protected] or [email protected]

I have no questions except to ask who the editing services are and are they affiliated in any way with your company?

Kendall is a POD company as I stated but we do offer much more than most POD's on the market.

See above. Subsidy/vanity publishing fills a niche but I do wish you would call a spade a spade and refer to your company as a subsidy publisher. Too many new writers don't understand that POD is a technology for printing books and that it means the books are printed one at a time on demand.

We have one on one contact with ALL of our authors,

One would hope you have good customer relations.

we do cover art and edits if needed,

I know the editing service is an additional fee. Do you also charge for covers?

book reviews that are posted on amazon, barnes and noble,

Please tell me you aren't doing your own book reviews?

as well as a few other blogs, author interviews, virtual book tours, radio shows, and we even call and set up the book signings for you for 3 months!

Well, no one else calls and makes signing appointments, so I'll give you that.

We also offer the option for video book trailers and book marks at discount prices.

Neither of which sell books.

Diver Dave is a new author to Kendall and I'm sure he can attest that we're not a 9-5 company, we work around the clock pushing the author's book into the world. We are very professional when dealing with our authors, what we do could effect their decision to go with Kendall again in the future and of course we want them to stay with us.
As I said if you have any questions please feel free to email us and we will promptly respond.

Crystal Adkins
Head of Author Interviews/Reviews
PR Kendall Publication

In other words, you get the books printed as fast as you can and you have good customer relations. That's nice, but your business model is not a benefit to a serious writer, especially one who writes fiction.

I'm not putting your company down. I have no reason to do that, but I am clarifying what type of publishing services you offer. New writers can sometimes become confused when they see POD as there are a number of micro/small presses out there that are legitimate trade publishers who use POD technology to print their books.

Diver_dave

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the "Welcome".

Here is the deal: we, my co-author and I, are not in this for the money not one bit. When we started this project we did it to self publish just to have copies to hand out at our next reunion. I am not (Picture man slapping hand on desk) a writer. Then there was this one writer who in reality was a little less than truthful that ruined it for anyone else to write on my topic, but of course he wasn't there for the event in question.

I applaud you on any success you have had in this industry as it is a real monster! But to slam Kendall having very limited knowledge of them seems pretty stupid to me.

They meet the requirements that a traditional publisher meets to make it in to book store and they pound the pavement getting each author attention.

Do I wish we were picked up by a big house or an agent? Sure did, but the reality is that those authors are few and far between and even some of them suck. For example try reading a book by the name of Patrolling Baghdad. Talk about a disorganized POS. It was really painful to read, and after chapter one it was more than obvious that when around the author the troops performed a total dog and pony show.

Sorry for that rant. Kendall is relatively a new company but in reality it is setting the standard going way beyond their competition.

Welcome to AW.

Not unusual. It can take hundreds of rejections and a great deal of honing your skills before someone finally reads a portion or all of one of your manuscripts.

No, they won’t. The will be available for order through brick and mortars. They won’t be shelved, except possibly if you go to one of your local bookstores and they place a copy of your book in their local author section.

They are a vanity/subsidy publisher who uses POD technology to print the books. However, their price seems reasonable (at least lower) for this type of press at $650.00. They offer editing services for additional fees, apparently to outside sources.

One wonders if these editors are in any way affiliated with the publisher or if the publisher gets a kickback?

Subsidy/vanity publishing plus POD will get you nothing more than the ability to sell at online bookseller sites (along with every other book that has an ISBN) and some local book signings. Their marketing service consists of free advice with no actual in the field marketing, unless they have just failed to mention that on their site.

If this is the goal you have set for your writing, then best of luck. But it isn’t a leg up to a serious writing career nor is it a publishing credit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diver_dave

Registered
Reaction score

As far as I am aware neither of those services are additional fees. I went to an editor before we presented it to agents/publishers. They did do our cover though at no additional cost to me.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the "Welcome".

You're welcome.

Here is the deal: we, my co-author and I, are not in this for the money not one bit. When we started this project we did it to self publish just to have copies to hand out at our next reunion. I am not (Picture man slapping hand on desk) a writer. Then there was this one writer who in reality was a little less than truthful that ruined it for anyone else to write on my topic, but of course he wasn't there for the event in question.
I applaud you on any success you have had in this industry as it is a real monster! But to slam Kendall having very limited knowledge of them seems pretty stupid to me.

First, you need to understand that I am not slamming this publisher. Second, you need to understand why these threads exist.

They exist so that writers know what types of services a publisher offers in order to make informed decisions in regards to their writing careers. I have clarified what services this publisher offers and they are subsidy/vanity publishing services. That is their business model. This information is easily obtained from their website as they make it very clear they charge $650.00 to print a writer’s work.

They meet the requirements that a traditional publisher meets to make it in to book store and they pound the pavement getting each author attention.

First, there is no such animal as a ‘traditional’ publisher. (That was a term dreamed up by Publish America to separate themselves from other vanity presses.) They are referred to as trade or commercial publishers.

Second, they do not fulfill the basic requirements of a trade or commercial publisher. First, their customers are their own authors. That makes them a subsidy or vanity press. Second, they have no marketing team nor do they have a distributor (Ingram is a wholesaler for this publisher). There’s more, but that should suffice.

Do I wish we were picked up by a big house or an agent? Sure did, but the reality is that those authors are few and far between and even some of them suck. For example try reading a book by the name of Patrolling Baghdad. Talk about a disorganized POS. It was really painful to read, and after chapter one it was more than obvious that when around the author the troops performed a total dog and pony show.

Trade publishers are in the business to sell books. A great deal of what you may consider drivel is published because it does sell. Writing is a business first, an art second. Write something truly saleable and you will get a trade publishing contract.

Sorry for that rant. Kendall is relatively a new company but in reality it is setting the standard going way beyond their competition.

No problem about the rant. I would consider you unusual if you didn’t defend your chosen publisher. However, they are a subsidy/vanity press and these types of publishers have existed since books were first printed. They will always exist and they do fill a niche. That said, this publisher is no different from any other subsidy/vanity press and they won’t be setting any new standards in the business. There are quite a few excellent choices for vanity/self/sub publishing, LULU being one of them and they are considerably less expensive.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I am aware neither of those services are additional fees. I went to an editor before we presented it to agents/publishers. They did do our cover though at no additional cost to me.

From their website.

we will find affordable editors that
can help you fine tune your manuscript if it lacks the spit shine finish that
would make your writing career a success.

Unless I am mistaken, affordable means you will be paying for the editing service, no?

I'm happy to hear they are not charging for covers.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
One last thing, Dave.

You have made it clear you are not a writer. However, should you ever decide that you do want to pursue a career in writing, do not pay someone to edit your work.

One of the prerequisites of writing is the ability to edit your own work. It's one of the tools a professional writer must have in their tool belt. Professional editors who are on the payroll of the trade publisher who offers you a contract will do further editing of your work. Obviously, at no cost to you.

Diver_dave

Registered
Reaction score

Second, they do not fulfill the basic requirements of a trade or commercial publisher. First, their customers are their own authors. That makes them a subsidy or vanity press. Second, they have no marketing team nor do they have a distributor (Ingram is a wholesaler for this publisher). There’s more, but that should suffice.

No problem about the rant. I would consider you unusual if you didn’t defend your chosen publisher. However, they are a subsidy/vanity press and these types of publishers have existed since books were first printed. They will always exist and they do fill a niche. That said, this publisher is no different from any other subsidy/vanity press and they won’t be setting any new standards in the business. There are quite a few excellent choices for vanity/self/sub publishing, LULU being one of them and they are considerably less expensive.

I don't want this in any way to come across like an attack...they do have a marketing team, currently it is only one person, but yes they do a ton of marketing and setting up signings.

On to your second paragraph there there is a huge difference between Kendall and LULU, LULU's books are non-returnable. So if all you are after is having your book on Amazon, lulu and a copy in your hand, then by all means go to LULU.

Crystals Reviews

Registered
Reaction score
Vanity Publisher Definition- is a publishing house that publishes books at the author's expense.

So in technical terms, Kendall Publication is a vanity publisher but as I stated we do offer more to our authors than most other “vanity publishers” out there and she doesn't just publish any book that comes her way.

Yes the edits are done by an editor for an extra charge of $200.00-$300.00 based on the final page count of the book. And no, the editor is not the same person that runs the website. And as you see the editing fee is MUCH lower than what is normally charged.

The authors receive 10 books in the package, and they also can purchase their books at discount prices. As you said, the books are returnable and the book stores are given a 55% discount on all crate orders, and the books are distributed by Ingram, and Baker and Taylor.

Yes, we do have excellent customer relations. We make ourselves available at all hours of the day. The owner usually takes the night shift if you will, and I do the day shift, so there is always someone to answer any questions you may have.

I personally do the book reviews. So far I have reviewed only 4 of the Kendall Author’s books. I have my own independent book review site, as well as an interviewing authors blog the book review site has been open for well over a year now with 200 books reviewed. I was hired on as a book reviewer for Kendall, and then have taken on new roles as the company is expanding to help out the owner.

You’re right no one else will personally call and set up signings. We do that for the authors and we don’t just call one or two stores. We call EVERY Barnes&Noble, Waldens, and Borders within 50 miles of the author’s residence in hopes of getting the most signings as possible. And if the store for whatever reason declines, we ask that they order a few books just to put on the shelf and I can promise you that they do that…I had an author sell 200 books the week the signings were being set up.

The book marks are good promotion if used the correct way, given to book stores to put in the bag with purchases, left at your local library, and for you to hand out at signings. Video book trailers have mixed reviews to tell you the truth, if made correctly they can draw in a buyer but most are really interested in what the reviews are of the book.

Yes we do get the books printed quickly, and have good customer relations but it does not stop there. We continue to push the author’s book…a rotation if you will. Each month a new author is in the spotlight and we continue that rotation in hopes of reaching new readers that may have missed the first go-round.

I don’t understand why it is not good for a serious writer or for those that write fiction. Kendall’s doors are open to all genre’s, it is a fairly new company and is just now really getting going as far as promotion and debuting into the world. We would love for more fiction authors, as well as horror, children’s books, and anything in between to check us out and submit their work. You won’t have to wait 5 months for a reply, but we still do read over your manuscript to make sure it is a well written book. What we publish reflects on us and we will do whatever it takes to keep a positive reputation.

Oh and before I forget, thank you for the welcome…I just wanted to make sure everything was covered.

Welcome to AW. You use POD technology to print your books and you print them on demand.

However, your business model is that of a subsidy/vanity publisher.

I have no questions except to ask who the editing services are and are they affiliated in any way with your company?

See above. Subsidy/vanity publishing fills a niche but I do wish you would call a spade a spade and refer to your company as a subsidy publisher. Too many new writers don't understand that POD is a technology for printing books and that it means the books are printed one at a time on demand.

One would hope you have good customer relations.

Please tell me you aren't doing your own book reviews?

Well, no one else calls and makes signing appointments, so I'll give you that.

Neither of which sell books.

In other words, you get the books printed as fast as you can and you have good customer relations. That's nice, but your business model is not a benefit to a serious writer, especially one who writes fiction.

I'm not putting your company down. I have no reason to do that, but I am clarifying what type of publishing services you offer. New writers can sometimes become confused when they see POD as there are a number of micro/small presses out there that are legitimate trade publishers who use POD technology to print their books.

Last edited:

Diver_dave

Registered
Reaction score
One last thing, Dave.

You have made it clear you are not a writer. However, should you ever decide that you do want to pursue a career in writing, do not pay someone to edit your work.

One of the prerequisites of writing is the ability to edit your own work. It's one of the tools a professional writer must have in their tool belt. Professional editors who are on the payroll of the trade publisher who offers you a contract will do further editing of your work. Obviously, at no cost to you.

Thanks for the advice. If I hadn't received advice along the way this whole project would have died in the back of my mind.

I pretty much understand why it didn't get picked up and so be it, you can't change a true story to reflect the popular opinion of politics. If we did it would be a work of fiction instead of being military non-fiction.

I didn't actually pay to have it edited. Because my punctuation really sucks I had someone take a look at it. There weren't as many errors as I thought there would be. I have been told by many people, non-publisher affiliated and non-family, that this is a great story and that we did a great job telling it.

Last edited:

Crystals Reviews

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want this in any way to come across like an attack...they do have a marketing team, currently it is only one person, but yes they do a ton of marketing and setting up signings.

On to your second paragraph there there is a huge difference between Kendall and LULU, LULU's books are non-returnable. So if all you are after is having your book on Amazon, lulu and a copy in your hand, then by all means go to LULU.

I am with Dave, the lulu books are not returnable and Kendall's are 100%
Also Lulu does not go through and make sure the formatting is correct, they publish it the way you send it in. At Kendall we go through to make sure your font settings are correct, the new chapter begins on a new page, and even add in extra graphics if needed or wanted at the top of a new chapter at NO extra charge. And the books are sent back via pdf to the author to look over and approve before the final printing process. I honestly don't know if lulu does that or not.

And I can't stress enough that we do a lot of promotion, we even have an in house promo company called Nia Promotions. As I said, virtual book tours, radio interviews, book reviews, author interviews and posting bulletins and blogs every chance we get...at least twice a day.

Diver_dave

Registered
Reaction score
For the record, there have been several self-published success stories.

One is Lori Cullwell author of Hollywood Carwash who was just picked up by Simon and Schuster after self-publishing.

The other two that I am aware of are: the movie Legally Blonde(Don't ask how I know that!) was based of a book published through Author House as well as the movie Proof Of Life.

I am not sure but for some reason the movie Train Wreck stands out as well.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I don’t understand why it is not good for a serious writer or for those that write fiction.

Because a serious fiction writer--one who aims for a professional career--wants to reach as many readers as possible. That means distribution. It also means the kind of behind-the-scenes marketing that so many micropresses can't accomplish.

My first novel is coming out late next year from a commercial publisher. The publisher paid me an advance. The editor sent me detailed editorial notes to make the story stronger. Next comes the copyedit stage, and after that the proofreading. Advanced bound copies are going out to selected readers for blurbs, which are used not just for the back cover, but also in the publisher's marketing meetings. Also, details about my book will be available in the publisher's catalog, used to promote my book to buyers for national bookstores. Once the book reached the ARC stage, it will go out to all kinds of reviewers. And finally, I know that my book will show up on bookshelves all across the US.

None of this costs me anything.

This is not to say that vanity presses are automatically a Bad Thing. They have their uses. But you did ask why they aren't good for a serious fiction writer. These are my reasons why not.

Diver_dave

Registered
Reaction score
Because a serious fiction writer--one who aims for a professional career--wants to reach as many readers as possible. That means distribution. It also means the kind of behind-the-scenes marketing that so many micropresses can't accomplish.

My first novel is coming out late next year from a commercial publisher. The publisher paid me an advance. The editor sent me detailed editorial notes to make the story stronger. Next comes the copyedit stage, and after that the proofreading. Advanced bound copies are going out to selected readers for blurbs, which are used not just for the back cover, but also in the publisher's marketing meetings. Also, details about my book will be available in the publisher's catalog, used to promote my book to buyers for national bookstores. Once the book reached the ARC stage, it will go out to all kinds of reviewers. And finally, I know that my book will show up on bookshelves all across the US.

None of this costs me anything.

This is not to say that vanity presses are automatically a Bad Thing. They have their uses. But you did ask why they aren't good for a serious fiction writer. These are my reasons why not.

You certainly got me beat there! I wish we could have been picked up like that, but such is life.

But hey I can still use it to pick up chicks right, just kidding I am happily married!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
For the record, there have been several self-published success stories.

One is Lori Cullwell author of Hollywood Carwash who was just picked up by Simon and Schuster after self-publishing.

The other two that I am aware of are: the movie Legally Blonde(Don't ask how I know that!) was based of a book published through Author House as well as the movie Proof Of Life.

I am not sure but for some reason the movie Train Wreck stands out as well.

Yes, there are successes - but there are people who hit the lottery as well, doesn't mean it's a good idea to sink every cent into playing because you might hit it big.

Vanity presses serve a purpose (for the most part, there are a few who should be run out of town on a rail, but that's another thread) but they are not the best choice for someone looking for a serious career in fiction writing. They just aren't.

Diver_dave

Registered
Reaction score
Hell, I have pissed away more money away in bars than I did at Kendall, like I have said I am not a professional writer nor do I want to be so it has worked out well. I am very pleased with them and will to continue to recommend them to anyone looking.

What advice would I give someone trying to get into the business? Don't quit your day job and keep plenty of aspirin on hand!!!

Yes, there are successes - but there are people who hit the lottery as well, doesn't mean it's a good idea to sink every cent into playing because you might hit it big.

Vanity presses serve a purpose (for the most part, there are a few who should be run out of town on a rail, but that's another thread) but they are not the best choice for someone looking for a serious career in fiction writing. They just aren't.

Last edited:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
I am with Dave, the lulu books are not returnable and Kendall's are 100% Also Lulu does not go through and make sure the formatting is correct, they publish it the way you send it in. At Kendall we go through to make sure your font settings are correct, the new chapter begins on a new page, and even add in extra graphics if needed or wanted at the top of a new chapter at NO extra charge. And the books are sent back via pdf to the author to look over and approve before the final printing process. I honestly don't know if lulu does that or not.

I guess you are unfamiliar with LULU’s other services which retail for $500.00, including editing? That makes LULU $150.00 cheaper than you before the additional charges for your editing referals.

And yes, LULU sends back pdf files for review before publishing.

The returnablity of a book is moot if no one outside of the local author's area knows about it.

And I can't stress enough that we do a lot of promotion, we even have an in house promo company called Nia Promotions. As I said, virtual book tours, radio interviews, book reviews, author interviews and posting bulletins and blogs every chance we get...at least twice a day.

You can’t seriously believe that one person making phone calls, doing reviews, plunking down book info on blog sites is marketing? Not in the true sense of book marketing. It's more than other sub/vanity publishers do and I applaud you for this, but it's not how books are sold in the thousands. A few hundred copies, yes.

Diver_dave

Registered
Reaction score
I guess you are unfamiliar with LULU’s other services which retail for $500.00, including editing? That makes LULU $150.00 cheaper than you before the additional charges for your editing referals.

And yes, LULU sends back pdf files for review before publishing.

The returnablity of a book is moot if no one outside of the local author's area knows about it.

You can’t seriously believe that one person making phone calls, doing reviews, plunking down book info on blog sites is marketing? Not in the true sense of book marketing. It's more than other sub/vanity publishers do and I applaud you for this, but it's not how books are sold in the thousands. A few hundred copies, yes.

I guess luckily for me I have a co-author and another contributor, so it will be in all three areas.

Plus I have an inside connection to hook me up on terrestrial radio for a possible interview so it is all good.