• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fox Literary Agency (Diana Fox)

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I was checking into agents for my current WIP and stumbled across Diana. It appears as though her website is now directing right to her PM page.

Financial problems not being able to keep the domain, or just too much work keeping it up, maybe?

I imagine it's the latter. Domains are seriously cheap (at least for simple, low-traffic website like most agents').

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
If the domain is redirecting to PM, she still owns it. She is one of the most-queried agents with many successful clients, so perhaps she decided she didn't need a big website. Redirecting to PM is just fine.

dianafox

Registered
Reaction score
The domain www.foxliterary.com has been redirected to my Publishers Marketplace page for the past three years. It is definitely not due to financial problems! At this point I don't have a website by choice, because I think it's better to have no website at all than a bad or out of date one, but I linked to PM so anyone looking for submission guidelines and other basic info could find it.

I have had a few reports of temporary problems with the submissions at foxliterary address, but as far as I can tell the emails in question were probably sent during a brief window when the server was down--which like all servers, my mail server unfortunately does from time to time--since resending later seemed to resolve the problem. If this has happened to more than one person here, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience! Email is not perfect and I'm afraid things do occasionally get lost in cyberspace, but author submissions are important to me and I try to keep up with them.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
That happened to me. I'd sent a requested full in August of last year from my regular email address, and status queried about two weeks ago. No reply, so I tried again today from another email address and got an answer (Diana's pretty backlogged, but she's getting to August submissions).

Update to my post of 3/09/11 - After not hearing back regarding the requested full, I took this as a "no response most likely means no". I sent a query for a different manuscript instead a few days ago.

ThomasWest3

Registered
Reaction score
Query Turnaround Time?

I sent Ms. Fox a Query about a month and a half ago and have not heard back. I know that she has a policy of responding to e-queries regardless of whether it is a pass or not, so I'm wondering if perhaps I should e-mail for a status update or just to make sure that it didn't slip through the cracks. How long have others had to wait for a response to a query? Is this an appropriate action to take? If so, what is the appropriate type of wording for an e-mail of this type?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I sent Ms. Fox a Query about a month and a half ago and have not heard back. I know that she has a policy of responding to e-queries regardless of whether it is a pass or not, so I'm wondering if perhaps I should e-mail for a status update or just to make sure that it didn't slip through the cracks. How long have others had to wait for a response to a query? Is this an appropriate action to take? If so, what is the appropriate type of wording for an e-mail of this type?

Ms. Fox uses a maybe pile, so that's probably where your query is sitting right now. I've had to wait two or three months for her reply in the past, but that reply only came after I followed up.

I usually say something like, "I queried you on [this day] with my [genre] manuscript, [title]. Since I've yet to hear back from you--and since I know you respond to everyone--I just thought I'd check in and make sure my query made it to you. If you're still considering my query, great. If not, I've included a copy of the query and sample pages below this note. Thanks again for your time and consideration."

Hope that helps!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
She can take a long time to respond. I first queried her in Dec. 2009, got no answer, and queried again on a revised version in June 2010. After hearing nothing, I nudged in Dec. 2010. She replied, saying that she'd put
my query in her 'maybe' pile. It then took her another six months to reject a requested partial, but she did offer some great feedback and excellent reasons for her decision.

I've queried her again on another project.

ThomasWest3

Registered
Reaction score
Further Clarification

Krista:
How long after your re-query did you hear back from her? I just want to get a sense of how long I should wait before getting concerned.

Thomas

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her on my first mss forever ago with no response period. I queried less than week ago, mentioning I had a prior agent. She rejected the current mss, an epic fantasy (I think she does mainly urban), but apologized like she was sincerely sorry she had to pass. Very nice! Kind of an ego boost :)

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Krista:
How long after your re-query did you hear back from her? I just want to get a sense of how long I should wait before getting concerned.

Thomas

I went back and checked my records, and in both cases, I followed up after two or two and a half months. Once I followed up, she responded right away--like, within a day or two--since she's usually pretty on top of incoming queries.

I noticed someone on QueryTracker got a full request a little more than two months after she queried, so she can take a while to circle back around to the queries she sticks in her maybe pile.

Good luck!

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth: I e-queried her a month ago and haven't heard anything.

Does this mean that I made it into her "maybe" pile?

[Yes, I realize I'm asking you folks to read her mind, but I nonetheless feel compelled to ask that question.]

:)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Eek! Good luck, ThunderBoots. I hope you're in her maybe pile but...who knows with the Fox...

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Crazy like a Fox

It's coming up on six weeks, and still no response from The Fox.

Which is fine, really -- it was just a query, after all.

[Note that I can be so philosophical/resigned because other agents have requested fulls ...]

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Much as I like her, I have to admit that six weeks is rather fast for Ms. Fox's usual response time to queries. Try four to six months! So keep querying, and if one of those other full requests turns into an offer, drop Diana an email about it.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
E-queried on 7/14 - polite rejection this morning.

I have to say, I must have picked a really good week to query my first novel. I've sent out only seven queries so far, starting on the 14th, and I've heard back from four agents already. Very very fast responses!

jcroc

Registered
Reaction score
Thunderboots not sure if you heard back. If not don't lose heart - I got a full request at the beginning of August after sending a query in March (so approx. 5 months).

I was very surprised, as I'd almost forgotten about the query (and I'd also made substantial revisions since sending my initial query round. When I queried Diana I still had my first draft goggles firmly in place).

I think Diana sounds very busy so I'm not expecting a response for several months. It's tough in limbo-land, but I've had a couple more full requests recently, yay! (From Marietta Zacker, and from Ninja Agent Rainbow after WriteOnCon).

If you haven't heard that might well be a good sign - it was for me.

fuguigirl

Registered
Reaction score
Query turn around time

I sent a query to Ms. Fox on Nov 18/12 and she replied that she wanted to read more on Nov 24/12. Five days is pretty fast in my books, but that's not to say that she is always that fast. I'm sure she gets pretty back logged.
I have not heard from her since but have read here that she can take around three months to reply to a full manuscript.

I figure December was a write off, especially with all the flooding in NYC and that Ms. Fox mentioned, on twitter?? I can't remember, that she had to relocate during it for a little while.

I'm wondering when I should ask about her thoughts though. Any suggestions??

--Fuguigirl

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I have not heard from her since but have read here that she can take around three months to reply to a full manuscript.

I've had no reply 12+ months after a requested full, just for reference. I know Diana is busy so I've written it off.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Diana this evening for my historical fiction. I'll post back when I have a response.
Bryan

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Got a rejection yesterday. So for anyone querying, right now it's a fast turnaround time (at least it was for me).
Bryan

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Got a rejection yesterday. So for anyone querying, right now it's a fast turnaround time (at least it was for me).
Bryan

Ditto. I had about the same turnaround for the R.