• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

UP Publishing

Mat

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody entered a novel writing contest by Uppublishing at,

www.uppublishing.co.uk?

I entered early this year (paying 25 pounds) and was meant to recieve a assessment of my MSS, 'winners'were meant to be notified by feb 28, i got one email on 15 march saying they were running late and would tell the result ASAP.

now nearly June, no news and no MSS review.

I researched the webpage, that is registered to an Amanda Brown in the UK, who has not updated the website since Nov last year.

Has any body else got any info on this shady person or their so called publishing company?

there are also four books apparently coming out 1st of May by this publisher (yeah right!), but again lots like BS, they are

Lizzie Greener by Helen Simkin

Gratis Comme un Oiseau by Jim Fielding

Self's The Man by Lucy Barron

Turf War by Ali Turgman

An amazon.com and google search brings up nothing on either the writers or these titles.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
James, I don't know if it's different in the USA, but it's common in the UK to pay an entry fee for writing competitions. Awards like the Asham and Bridport short story competitions all charge an entry fee, and are considered good ones to win--or even be shortlisted for.

Having looked at the Up Publishing website I'm not going to lump their "competition" in with the Asham and the Bridport. UP states on its "The Contest" page,

At this time, submission is only through the contest. We're looking for a minimum of five books to publish by mid-2008.

So the only way to submit to them is by entering this contest, which will incurr an entry fee of £25. Bingo! That entry fee has now been revealed as a reading fee. They try to explain this away by adding,

The fee is there because we're professionals and we have to eat and none of us expects to be able to do anything else between now and March except deal with submissions to this contest.

When I was an editor I earned my salary by producing good, saleable books. Not by charging people to add their books to my slush-pile.

If the website's not been updated for several months and the people behind the contest have gone quiet, I'd suspect that the whole thing has died. There is an issue here concerning all the "entry" fees that UP has mopped up, and the writers whose dreams have been stamped on: but I'd not be too surprised if UP has disappeared.

UP Publishing

UP stands for "Unpositioned". We chose this name because "positioning" is the essence of marketing today and we want no part of it.

If UP isn't going to "position" its books, how is it going to sell them? This is at best naive, and reveals a marked ignorance of how publishing works.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Lack of communication is a very bad sign, whether it be answering emails or updating the site to indicate why the winner(s) have not been named.

It could be they were overwhelmed with entries, but that does not excuse updating the site to indicate there has been a delay. How long can it take to place a small blurb on the site with an explanation?

Add the red flags Old Hack has pointed out and one begins to smell rotting fish.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't think the point is that paying a fee is a blanket bad idea, but that you should have a reason (i.e. the prestige of the contest) to do so. 99% of fee-charging contenst on any country are primarily ways to raise money, like a white elephant stall, and most are about as professional.

Last edited:

Mat

Registered
Reaction score
the 25 pound fee was a reading fee and a MSS report was meant to be provided, for all entries, this is why I entered, an assessment of my MSS for 25 pounds seemed like a good idea, at the time.

also the 4 books posted to be published my mid May were separate of the contest.

Anyway thanks for the feedback.

If anybody else has entered this contest i would like to hear from you

cheers

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes, but the analysis is still only useful uf done by a professional who knows what editors in your genre are seeking (e.g. an editor at some kind of 'real' publisher that sells a decent number of copies of each title). Otherwise you can get a beta-reader for free.

smithflashgale

Registered
Reaction score
I felt suspicious about this but was almost at the end of my rope with one particular novel (in terms of subbing) so I sent it to this lot. A few weeks later I got an agent so I withdrew the ms from this comp and they refunded me in full. Have you tried emailing them?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Mat, sorry. It's all very well for us to tell you why this wasn't a good idea after the event, but it's not helping you now.

Try emailing UP and asking them to let you know what's happening with the competition. If they don't reply within a couple of weeks email them again, giving them a fortnight to tell you or to refund your money.

Meanwhile, it might be worth Googling for those titles and authors that UP claimed were going to be published in May. Just because they're not on Amazon doesn't mean that they weren't published, although it could very well be the case that nothing's happened there. Chances are you'll find at least one of them via a blog or other discussion forum, and you'll be able to find out more about UP.

Overall, though, I think you're going to be out of luck. It could be that they've closed shop, in which case it might be difficult to get anything out of them. The Office of Fair Trading tends to only get involved where they've had lots of complaints, as do Trading Standards; the police might be interested if UP has taken your money and scarpered. Even if you do manage to get a critique out of them, I doubt that you'll get a critique worth having unless the person writing the critique has plenty of industry experience in the genre in which you write.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack:
the police might be interested if UP has taken your money and scarpered.

Given that the financial sum involved is £25, I doubt the police will be interested. If you do find others who were similarly affected, it might be more effective to report it to the Trading Standards office for wherever the postal address of the competition was.

MM

Mat

Registered
Reaction score
I have google yahoo etc searches of all the names and titles separately and together, and the only link is the uppublishing one, starting to realize i have duped, again!!!

Mat

Registered
Reaction score
Word of warning

A John Lynch, from the UK ran a contest last year under the name Up publishing. It was to publish new writers, he charged 25 pounds to enter then disapeared. His name didn't appear anywhere on the the website but I managed to track his phone number down thru PAypal. He has subsequently fled the country. If anybody else got stung by this guy I can provide you his phone number if you want to try and track down your money.