• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Richard Parks Agency

mbagrad

Registered
Reaction score
This is posted on The Richard Parks Agency website:

15% commission on domestic sales; 20% on foreign sales. Charges for photocopying, overseas postage, messenger fees, books ordered for use in rights submissions, any special expense incurred at the request of the client.

Are there any circumstances where it is normal, standard or ethical for a literary agency to charge any types of fees for certain services? I read all the horror stories about unethical agencies that charge for services but I was wondering if there are circumstances where this is acceptable.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
This is normal and not at all a sign of a scam. Some agencies actually charge these expenses; many simply reserve the right to do so but rarely bother. If this agency is like the others, they'll take these expenses out when they sell the book; they won't send a bill.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What DA said
This is part of my agency agreement

mbagrad

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So which fees that an agent might charge are considered unethical and a red flag that they might not be legit?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
A fee to represent you (whether monthly or yearly).

sb2brown

Registered
Reaction score
Any new info on this agency? P&E shows "$ AAR A literary agency. (Richard Parks: Literary, Adult)". The only other info I can find is that he only accepts snail mail queries and seems to be interested in everything under the sun except the usual children's books, play, poetry, screenplays.

JanetO

Registered
Reaction score
Any new info on this agency? P&E shows "$ AAR A literary agency. (Richard Parks: Literary, Adult)". The only other info I can find is that he only accepts snail mail queries and seems to be interested in everything under the sun except the usual children's books, play, poetry, screenplays.

Well, he reps Jonathan Lethem.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Parks retired in '15. Agency closed.