• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Uwe Luserke

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
True enough. Thing is that personally my experience with an agent qualifying as immensely reputable was bad—so I do not necessarily assume, as others appear to, that 'reputability' equates with any assurance of decent treatment.

So you think that disreputable agents will be MORE likely to treat you well?

I'm sorry, but that doesn't seem logical.

TillOwlglass

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.owlglass.com
So you think that disreputable agents will be MORE likely to treat you well?

I'm sorry, but that doesn't seem logical.

I never cease to be amazed by what people read into what amounts to perfectly clear statements, or the odd twists and turns of 'logic' they execute in their heads as a result.

To be as limpidly clear as I can be: nothing of the sort was said; implied; is justified as representing a 'logical' process in my own head or what passes for reality; or has or ever would be likely to be a sensible conclusion.

There, that wasn't so hard, was it? ;)

smenders2

Registered
Reaction score
Tillowlglass....I understand completely. And, no matter that you might think, I am not a fool either. Thing is—sorry, but no names—that current clients of his appear to have no beef with the man.

Good ole Bernie Madoff's clients had no beef with him either...until

TillOwlglass

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.owlglass.com
Life is hard and then you die...

Wow; long time no hear from this thread!

Well, after more than a year I haven't heard anything useful from Uwe—meaning I'll soon send him the email and registered letter that says "Sorry, mate, but let's abort this mission."

It wasn't any skin of my back. It wasn't successful either, but then again, the whole damn 'publishing' thing isn't exactly going the way I want it to anyway, so what else is new?

Back to writing stories, which is what this is all about.

Cheers
T

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
Um, wow. Good thing I decided to check this guy out.

Got an email from him the other day saying he represented one of my colleagues and was interested in representing my work (short stories) for publication in Europe. I have not responded to the email, but in light of what AC Crispin said: "Luserke ripped off... some who hadn't even signed with him to represent them, and had no knowledge of his actions," the fact that he contacted me at all makes me nervous.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? :s

RayAldridge

Registered
Reaction score
I happened across this forum somewhat by accident, but I have to say that Uwe Luserke is a thief. He sold a number of my stories to foreign markets, without telling me. I only found out about these publications via the web. In every case in which I contacted the publisher, their attitude was that the problem was mine, since they had paid Luserke. It is difficult for me to understand how a publisher could not be aware that Luserke is a thief, but perhaps in their shoes I might take the same attitude.

Whether or not you engage him as an agent, nothing prevents him from simply stealing your work. In my case, he contacted me after I'd sold a few short stories and asked if he could be my foreign agent. He even sold a couple of stories and sent me checks. However, when Richard Curtis became my agent, the deal was that Richard would also handle foreign rights to my novels. I told Uwe this, and he was quite upset. Thereafter, I had no contact with him, but he apparently continued to represent himself as my agent, and kept all the money.

It's a sad story, but I tell it in hopes that no one else will have anything to do with the guy. Bear in mind that it isn't just the small amount of money involved that is so irritating. He also robbed me of the knowledge that I had folks in other countries who were willing to publish my work.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
What is Richard Curtis's response to this? Not only was he cut out, but the man stole from him as well when he sold your work without your or Curtis's premission, didn't he?

RayAldridge

Registered
Reaction score
What is Richard Curtis's response to this? Not only was he cut out, but the man stole from him as well when he sold your work without your or Curtis's premission, didn't he?

Richard doesn't handle short fiction, at least not for me.

I'm not aware of Luserke stealing the novels, though I suppose that doesn't mean much. Richard has sold the foreign rights to the novels to a variety of publishers.

In any case Luserke stole from many well-represented authors. So far as I know, he hasn't been charged with any crime. There doesn't seem to be much that can be done about him, aside from warning new authors.