Electronic Mags - are they less prestegious than print magazines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question - does electronic magazines count as legitimate publishers? I mean, if I am querying a novel, and I say I am published on an e-zine, will it be considered a legitimate credential? Or are only print publishers considered "legitimate"?

Thanks.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Some ezines pay pro rates. They will be considered very "legitimate." (Strange Horizons. Clarkesworld, etc.) Others pay semi pro rates. Not so good really depending on a lot of other factors. For the luv markets. Not worth a thing really. Except in some literary spheres, where "for the luv" markets sometimes are strangely respected.

So, look at the money and who else is being published there.

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
If the only legit credits were pro mags, many writers would have very few credits to query with.

It's so tough to break into the pro mags these days that you're inevitably going to be listing semi-pro or non-paying mags on your list of credits. Your manuscript is really what counts. Credits mostly let an agent know that the writer knows what they're doing and have experience working with editors.

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
It really depends on the publication. Some online versions of print magazines are just as prestigious, while small, lesser known publications are not. As with any query, I'd include not only your best work, but the best work that relates to the query itself, print or electronic. For example, if your novel has a mystery theme and you've published mystery shorts with online markets, but your only print piece is a nonfiction on parenting, obviously the online markets match better and will feel better in the query (unless it's a parenting mystery, then you have the best of both worlds). Best wishes!

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
It depends on the genre and on the magazine's prestige. In SFF, a good semi-pro credit is worth a lot, and some token pay mags are also very prestigious. Fantasy Magazine and LCRW come to mind. The first is an e-zine. Check out which magazines get awards, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.