• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Santa Barbara Writers Conference

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
This will be my tenth year attending. Greatest conference in the world. The centerpoint is read and critique, which you can do from nine in the morning until one in the morning every day. A genuine working conference. Be sure to go to the pirate workshops at night.

An epic conference. I recommend it to anyone who wants to work on their craft.

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I spent three hours last night googling for writers conferences. I coulda saved all that time by just checking here this morning.

I've bookmarked that conference while I look for more. The only reason it would be a problem for me is the dates. I have much more time in late fall.

Are there any other good ones out there?

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
I had a great experience at SBWC too. Met my agent there (not through an agent appointment -- he and I were already communicating before we met face to face, though I'm convinced that's what helped him sign me), won an award, learned a lot.

grommet

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I was there in 2001, and it was a valuable experience. Some of the worsksho[s were useful, but choose them carefully. Also, be alert and thickskinned. Most of the attendees were friendly, and some of the locals hospitable. A few of the attendees were vicious critiquers, usually the ones who come every year and remain unpublished.

Be prepared to listen to advice but also defend your writing as well.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
If anyone from the Santa Barbara Writers Conference would like anti-scam handouts from Writer Beware, we'd be happy to provide them. We've done this for writers conferences before.

All we need is a little lead time. Do me a favor and pass this information on to the folks who are running any writers conference you're planning to attend, okay?

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com
[email protected]

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a workshop leader now, so I'll be there! I lead one of the two late-night pirate workshops. See you there!

Aah the infamous pirate workshops! :D

Will try to make at least a few of these! I tire pretty easily. Naps will be my salvation this week!

Hip-Hop