• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

New York Book Festival / JM Northern Media LLC

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I keep seeing ads for this and I'm wondering if it's a legitimate thing. Has anyone participated?

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I continueally receive spam notices about this and its related festivals in other locations. Likewise, I'm disappointed that participants have to pay a fee to have their works considered in their competition.

While some of their festivals appear to actually have some celebrities and known authors in attendance, I suspect they're paid to participate. It would be helpful and honest if the festivals pointed that out in their mailings and on their web sites. Likewise, the festivals should list the judges and give a breakdown of how the submission fees are used.

Needless to say, I have not participated in any of their festivals.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I had a feeling that was the case, but I was hoping I was wrong. Thanks for your advice.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
New England Book Festival

A word of caution about these folks. I keep getting notices about this event, sent to my personal email address. Some of my clients have asked about it, so they are getting notices, too. I can't find anything legit about these people and have discussed them with a few other agents. They charge an entry fee of $50 and don't seem too anxious to tell writers exactly where the festival is held. I did read one blog about them that suggests they are a scam.

They are not to be confused with the legit New England Mobile Book Fair.

Anyone here know anything else?

DP

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
If this is the one I think it is, they're part of about four or five such events held in different places by the same company. They each have the same format of charging writers to let their work compete for a prize.

I get the impression that they're meant to draw in writers whose works are not selling well and who hope that a win will give them something to draw more interest from readers.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
They look like they are borderline legit, but I've never heard of a festival charging fees for entries. There's a major one in Amelia Island, FL that's run much differently. They require a complimentary copy from the author, but no money and no cash prizes. Just kudos and the chance to meet some local successful authors. If there's anyone else out there who knows more, please feel free to join this thread or email me a private message.

DP

hurricanehanni

Where Is Ziggy?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alphabetownusa.org
New York Book Festival

In 2008 we submitted our book to what we thought was the New York Book Festival. We submitted payment to JM Northern Media who seems to put on a variety of "book festivals" in different states. We received a notice that we were on the list of honorable mention for best new children's books. Our books were shelved for a while until recently. We have purchased a large quantity of books and have started selling and getting accepted to Barnes and Noble etc. As we are on a learning curve we have recently become aware that it would be extremely helpful (in addition to the endorsements by local teachers, principals and superintendants) to submit our book for an award or review from an accredited organization. As I was researching, I could not find much information on JM Northern Media and the events they put on. I was looking to also be an exhibitor at the events. Could you tell me if this company and the related events are a scam and if there are lists of such people I can submit my book to?

historicwriter

madscribe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whenangelsfall.wordpress.com
Paris Book Festival

AVOID this Hollywood Book Festival contest and all the others run by JM Northern Media LLC like the plague. [FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]
Paris Book Festival (they have nothing to do with Paris),
the London Book Festival,
the New York Book Festival
EVERY website says exactly the same thing. It is all just one big CON!
The entries ALL go to the same place so if you do not with the Hollywood, you will not win the Paris, or the London or the New York. The same people for all the contests.
SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!

JM Northern Media LLC
attn: Paris Book Festival
7095 Hollywood Boulevard
Suite 864
Hollywood, CA 90028-0893
Phone: 323-665-8080
[/FONT]

They do not read all the books that enter. When you contact them after, they ignore you. Run by someone named Bruce. I entered and my emails with questions were IGNORED!

The link says you can see a list of 2013 winner but all you see is that they are still accepting entries - and you do not even have to complete the application - and you will be taken to the Paypal page yet the competition is finished. But they will still accept your money.

The run all these contests under the same name and generally end in Book Festival - there is NO festival.

I have reported them to the FBI, the BBB and Paypal.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I have to agree. The information is out there: AW's publishing threads, Writer Beware, Preditors & Editors, the 'Making Light' blog, and numerous other blogs and online resources. Falling for this kind of trickery could be excused 15 to 20 years of ago. Not now, no matter one's age group or background.

Brush up on your Google-fu and learn to make keyword searches work for you. Often, you can find useful information by just using 'publisher name' + 'complaints' - and you may even be able to see how that publisher reacts when challenged. (Never go to bed or get into business with someone crazier than you.)

Check state and federal court dockets online to see if publishers are either suing or being sued. Check the state corporate listings for every publisher, agent, editing service, and contest you consider - you might see a pattern of previous failed or fraudulent businesses. Check out Amazon or Smashwords for samples of published work from authors associated with the groups you are considering. You can at least see if the publisher bothered to edit, and if their marketing is somewhat effective.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I too get constantly spammed by these festivals--they've recently added one for animal/nature writers--and I did some research into them a while back. They're kind of a con, in that the main purpose is to make money for the parent organization, and the actual awards mean nothing in terms of exposure or prestige. However, they do pay out the prize money (or at least they were doing so as of 2010 and 2011), and they do have an awards event, though according to someone who attended it's a pretty sad affair.

So not a total scam, but definitely not worth anyone's time or money to enter.

- Victoria