Status
Not open for further replies.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I have a funny (I think) short story in which the two antagonists are completely reprehensible. They're bigots and homophobes, which is why the protagonist decides to make them the butt of her practical joke. Virtually every market states in their guidelines that they do not accept stories that include material that is blatantly offensive to race, sexuality, etc.

Well mine certainly does, but it's there for a reason: to make a couple of characters completely hateful. Should I give up and re-write to find other ways?

Note: I am not a bigot or homophobe!!!

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
Archie Bunker was the ultimate bigot, and the writers blew him up to zealot proportions to show how crazy he/his thinking was. I would think that, if you could write it in such an obvious was as to establish the disgust you have for the characters, you might be able to sell it. I would guess it would have to be way over the top.

mordant satire

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the 405 and the 5 in traffic
That is a great question. In my opinion, do it! Make it great! If you clearly establish that difference (without overstating it) It would be awesome. I would see it, I would laugh and I would know the intention of the characters and be fine with it. That is how I feel....
These days - anymore, everyone is so sensitive about EVERYTHING. Maybe that is correct, maybe not. Ben Stiller tried to create a similar situation to the one you mentioned and he got a lot of flack for it. I am referring to "Tropic Thunder" and the "retarded" character. Below is a link in case you do not know what I am referring to.
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1592544/story.jhtml

I think it can be done, but it is not easy.
Good luck, my friend!

TomHarrington

Registered
Reaction score
I follow the creed of my comedy heroes: Nothing is sacred. You have to be able to make fun of everybody or nobody. Monty Python, Mel Brooks, George Carlin, and Lenny Bruce spring to mind. But I’m sure I could think of more, as could you and probably without much effort.

I can tell without even reading your story that it’s bound to offend someone. The above mentioned Archie Bunker reference is a fine example. If you can illustrate the absurdity of a belief, especially a very base and repugnant one, while still managing to make people laugh, then they’ll tend to be more tolerant and accepting of what you have to offer.

And since I have nothing at stake in this, I say go for it! ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is offended by something. If you only write what doesn't offend you're never going to write much of anything. Homophobia, bigotry, can be written about without being so hateful that it takes away from the story. Especially if your writing shows how stupid those ideologies are

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
"Comedy is an agreement between you and the audience that you are, in fact, funny." -- Steve Martin.

It's as simple as that. If you can convince your reader what you're doing is funny, he'll accept it as funny. This may require placing your bigots into a funnier situation, with other types of funny around it. -- That's why Archie had Meatball and Gloria, and comedies of errors going on around him. So you knew it was supposed to be funny.

The laughtrack helped a ton, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.