Cryptic Rejection Letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
You know, the ones you can't quite figure out--or you're not sure you want to figure out. Like the one I got the other day from Abyss & Apex that said 'It was well received here, but after some thought we have decided not to accept it for publication.'

How was it well received? Was it acutally good? Amusing? Was the comma use competent? Even worse is when I hear 'I enjoyed reading this', because I tend to add 'and laughing at the worst parts' in my head.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds a little like you are talking about form letters. If that's the case, the are purposely generic so they can send them out to anyone. You can't expect any agent or publisher to go into detail. Sometimes they do and it's not always what you want to hear. Better luck next time.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
You know, the ones you can't quite figure out--or you're not sure you want to figure out. Like the one I got the other day from Abyss & Apex that said 'It was well received here, but after some thought we have decided not to accept it for publication.'

How was it well received? Was it acutally good? Amusing? Was the comma use competent? Even worse is when I hear 'I enjoyed reading this', because I tend to add 'and laughing at the worst parts' in my head.

MumblingSage, I am sorry to disappoint, this is a standard form rejection from Abyss and Apex. I have seen pretty painful personal Rs from them preceded with "it was well received here."

It's actually a nice form, if you know what I mean. If you want a kick in the behind, submit to Clarkesworld :) :)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I got one of those too from Abyss and Apex. Standard form letter designed to make you feel better about yourself, rather than the "you suck, don't ever darken our doorstep again" form letter.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
My general rule is that a rejection is a form unless it says something very specific about the work I sent them. If they could send the same note to someone else, then I figure they probably do.

Of course, lots of good work gets form rejections. Doesn't mean anything more than it wasn't right for that reader at that market at that time.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't mean for this to be a pity thread so much as a complain thread for very vauge (obviously form) rejections, but okay...

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
In a way, I think form rejections are better than "your idea would never work because of a, b, and c which we don't think can be fixed." Right? Hang in there MS, you'll nail it soon!

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Hey MumblingSage, you're not getting any pity from me. Empathy definitely, but not pity. We're all in the same boat and we all get the same rejections.

And your OP was dead on. The form rejects that try to be polite kind of suck.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Tburger--I'm in the same boat. Funnily enough, it's the same story that got rejected from A&A. :D I'll build up a fine line of rejections before I get this thing placed.

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Heh.

I have a short with Clarkesworld, too.

/green.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Tburger--I'm in the same boat. Funnily enough, it's the same story that got rejected from A&A. :D I'll build up a fine line of rejections before I get this thing placed.
You sent to A&A before Clarkesworld? Cause you... don't like money? :Wha:

Clarkesworld rejects aren't that bad. You just have to remember that they're one (outspoken) person's opinion, and if he's wrong he's wrong. If he's right though... Mr. Mamatas made one of my stories with a helpful rejection note.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
You sent to A&A before Clarkesworld? Cause you... don't like money? :Wha:

Clarkesworld rejects aren't that bad. You just have to remember that they're one (outspoken) person's opinion, and if he's wrong he's wrong. If he's right though... Mr. Mamatas made one of my stories with a helpful rejection note.

XD Nope, Clarkesworld wasn't accepting submissions at the time so I decided to try for A&A. I'm still new, so I'm probably reaching over my head in this for one.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
XD Nope, Clarkesworld wasn't accepting submissions at the time so I decided to try for A&A. I'm still new, so I'm probably reaching over my head in this for one.

You never know what will catch someone's fancy. And editors are someones.
Once the story's as good as it can get, sending it out is like rolling dice. It becomes a matter of luck as much as skill.
The only way to get the dice to roll in your favor is to keep rolling. Send that story out. From the top markets on down. Till hell won't have it :)

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
In a way, I think form rejections are better than "your idea would never work because of a, b, and c which we don't think can be fixed." Right? Hang in there MS, you'll nail it soon!

Form rejections better?
Lordie, yes!

I just received a rejection from my 'dream' agent after he'd requested (and I assume, read) my complete manuscript. Basically, he said it "had its moments," but too much "telling" rather than "showing" for him.

Of course, it's that way because of the nature of the POV and the basic structure of the book (linked to its premise)!

No bloody way one can "fix" that -- not that he asked me to, or anything remotely hopeful.

I KNOW he is only ONE AGENT ... with HIS OWN LIKES/DISLIKES ... and that this REJECTION is NOT the nail in the coffin, or anything ...

[Note -- I'm using caps because I'm yelling at myself, not you!]

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Boogety, smallthunder. My full got rejected today, too, though not by my dream agent. In fact, my dream agent rejected at the query stage. Sigh. I'll have a new dream agent: the one who offers representation.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I must submit to Clarkesworld now. I'm in the mood for a good smack, so I'll have an excuse to sulk. All these polite form rejections are just too bland to put me in a really bad mood. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.