paying for amazon review?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on galleycat and thought it was kind of...er...mortifying:

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleyca..._to_create_amazon_buzz_for_just_500_84871.asp

"As you probably know, the key to kicking ass on Amazon is reviews. My book has only recently been added to their list, so I have no reviews. I need them, and I'm willing to pay to get them. I am NOT saying I am willing to pay for puff pieces. I'm talking real reviews—good or bad. One complication is that unless you've been a frequent reviewer at Amazon, they won't let you review a book you didn't buy from them. So, if you want to participate in this, you'll probably need to buy the book from Amazon. However, if you do, and you submit a review that gets posted—and it is clear that you actually read the book—I'll send you $50. I have $500 set aside to do this, so once it's gone, the deal is over. My preference is to pay through PayPal, but I'll send you a check via snail mail if that's what it takes. Just be sure to let me know you're submitting a review before it goes up."

Of course, then they run a piece declaring that PW reviewers will now only receive $25.00 for doing their reviews.

Thoughts? He's certainly not demanding positive reviews, and clearly only wants reviews from folks who have read the book. But I'm still really...uncomfortable with this.

grommet

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
He says that, but how well will he back it up? How many legitimate bad reviews "won't count" for some reason?

Either way, this looks rotten and is a horrid idea.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
This sure sounds strange. Are we to believe that the author doesn't personally know 10 people who she could approach with the same deal on a private basis @ $50.00 a pop?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Classy. It also looks first come first served which is a little risky of you are actually buying the book (well, you'd have to wouldn't you? I don't see an offer of review copies?)

Anyway. I am not a fan of any kind of paid review.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If I were the Author, I'd give away my book for review. That way it's less of bribe, and he's likely to get a straight and factual review.

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cheaper and less smarmy to just give the book away to ten people, and ask them to review it?

Bingo.

I guess I just don't get the fear about not getting amazon reviews. Unless the author is self-published (which isn't clear from the email). If the book sells, someone's going to review it.

grommet

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
So he's inexperienced in publishing. Think of it as a company paying for models in a commercial.

I can see why he wants to do it, but on the other hand, I would really doubt the ability to get money out of him once I'd bought his book.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
One complication is that unless you've been a frequent reviewer at Amazon, they won't let you review a book you didn't buy from them.

Erm ... not true. I post loads of reviews on Amazon for books I've bought in bricks and mortar stores as well as for books I've bought through them. Provided you have an account with them and your review meets their guidelines, there's no problem.

Some people have more money than sense.

MM

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Some people have more money than sense.

MM

Which would explain why Ken Douglas of Libros International is on Amazon offering to do reviews for £20 a time. Mind you, he is into coercing Libros authors to reveiw their stablemates, and presumably condoned the following post from one of their authors on LI's supposedly closed forum:

"If anyone wishes to list the salient points of their novels on the forum I for one will concoct a review and list it on Amazon. It isn't just that buying a copy of everyones books might prove costly it is the time it would take to read them all-if you had the time. If anyone prefers to send me their review instead of listing it I will reciprocate"

How crass is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.