• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Allen Guthrie's Infamous Writing Tips

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
Ah gotta love those glowering Klingons...but would Vulcans glower? Wouldn't that be going against their whole "no emotion" thing they have going on? Glowering implies a negative emotion and those snotty gits see emotions as being illogical...by snotty gits I mean Vulcans and quite possibly university professors.

You obviously don't know many Vulcans...glowering is their default setting. They are very upset at all the emotion going on around them.

Besides, it's a total fallacy that Vulcans lack emotion. If anything, our copper-blooded cousins are fronting because they come from a desert planet and get really wacko when they're horny.

I ought to know, I was raised by them. Odious lot, but those ears are a turn-on. Lots to nibble on.

Last edited:

Glyn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Off now, to hunt my pleonasms.

Glyn

Obi_1_Kinobi

Registered
Reaction score
Tips? More like the 32 Commandments of Literature!

English is not my native language ,so this is a blessing. Thanks!

Dirtpoor

Digging it
Registered
Reaction score
Working my way through the avalanche of information on this site, these rules are a stand out summary of no-no's and must do's.

They have been printed and posted onto my wall.

MrMarshmallow

Registered
Reaction score
It seems as if most is sound advice, but as noted in other's posts, it would be best to follow it as a set of guidelines, rather than solid rules. It even says: if it works, ignore the rule that says it doesn't.

Luray

Registered
Reaction score
I love the information, now I just have to put it to use.

Storyfixer

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyfix.com
Love your stuff. Nice value. You and I should get together and do a workshop -- your focus is on technique, style and little nuances... mine is big picture storytelling: structure, character, theme, concept, scene construction, writing voice. One realm, yours or mine, without the other is an incomplete picture. I encourage writers to study Robert's post careful. And, to master the big picture issues of storytelling, which are just as complex.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this. I hope I follow the rules as closely as possible.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
16: Start scenes late and leave them early.

17: When writing a novel, start with your characters in action. Fill in any necessary backstory as you go along.

20: Torture your protagonist. It’s not enough for him to be stuck up a tree. You must throw rocks at him while he figures out how to get down.

Berr-illiant advice :)
As I write this, I'm trying to find some rocks to throw at my protagonist...

Loretta

Registered
Reaction score
Loved the advice! AND the way it was worded:)...I haven't done any stoning yet, but since mine has voo doo in it, I have all sorts of tricks up my sleeve, or better yet, tucked in the bodice of the heroine;):)

Loretta

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I attended a brainstorming session one day, and one of the people there said they never read their work outloud to proof. I thought then, well everyone has to do it the way that works for them...myself, I need to read it outloud, I can feel the pace, and also hear if it's flowing well, or if I tend to stutter over the sentence.

AuntieJoy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank-you for this list. I am an old woman but a new writer. I am having to unlearn everything I was taught as a child in the public school system. I have finished my first book but it has yet to be published. Perhaps your list will help it find life.

Emi Blue

New kid here, lol
Registered
Reaction score
Darn, I guess I have some work to do on 29... and especially on 24 xD How is anyone supposed to know who's talking with rule 24 in play??

Radio Changes

Repeat the past
Registered
Reaction score
The speeches one is something I'm guilty of, though I have a question, do character's thoughts in a first person POV count as a speech? Because stuff Holden in Catcher in the Rye thinks arranges itself like an inner, unspoken monologue.

Reaction score
Fantastic list. I agree with all of them. Except maybe 19 but then I do write erotica.;)

I'm assuming that 'jealous partner' could also be a job, location, other person, situation or mental state, though.

Romie

Registered
Reaction score
Just read your tips, they were fab!!! thanks so much, though i am now away to go delete the most of my book, rather know now than later!!!!!!