• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Diabolic Publications

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
Has anyone heard of them, or had any dealings with them?
Diabolic Publications
http://www.diabolicpublications.com/
Diabolic Publications publishes trade and mass paperback print-on-demand editions, ebook editions as well as some limited hardcover editions. “We want suspenseful, terrifying novels with dark atmosphere and chilling plots. Supernatural horrors (ghosts, vampires, demons, monsters, etc.) are strongly favored.”

Submit synopsis and first three chapters only – no complete manuscripts unless specifically requested.
Accepting submissions in the following categories:
Fiction: Dark fantasy, Dark poetry, Erotic Horror, Erotic Gothic/Historic Horror, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal/Occult, Suspense/Thriller.
Non-Fiction: Dark Paganism, Magick Occult, Paranormal, Satanism, Vampirism, Underground Culture
Please read guidelines in full before submitting:
Submission Guidelines: http://www.diabolicpublications.com/submissions.htm
http://www.diabolicpublications.com/submissions.html
http://www.myspace.com/diabolicpublications
http://joomla.artisticdevil.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=345&Itemid=28
http://www.lights.ca/publisher/db/2/10292.html
http://www.gobignetwork.com/profiles/Ginger-Norton.aspx
http://www.ookami.co.uk/html/diabolic_tales__1.html

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
mass paperback print-on-demand

Hmmm...I did not know this was possible. Can print on demand tech produce mass market paperback editions? If so, I was not aware of that.

On other fronts there's just not much to go on here. No mention of advances, royalites, experience, distributions, trade reviews, or staff. They are new, granted. But it seems like it just might be another typical POD outfit.

Was too lazy to do a deep hunt on them.

Tri

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Mass Market and POD are diametrically opposed to each other. POD tries to save money by only printing books when they are needed, such as one book orders for Amazon or 100 book orders for a very small print run.

Mass market tries to take advantage of the volume purchase by ordering as much as possible, sacrificing some quality for lower pricing.

That is not to say that the company couldn't be using both strategies at different times for different circumstances.

That is my take on the two. People much wiser than me can correct me as necessary.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Can print on demand tech produce mass market paperback editions?

You can print mass-market-SIZED paperbacks with POD tech. BRIO does it, and I think LightningSource is adding it (or has recently added it). The Espresso Book Machine folks market the machine with this as one of its big selling points--they can trim to any trade or mass-market size.

I think that's what they mean--their printer can can print 4.5" x 7" paperbacks. But I bet the per-unit price isn't any lower, so there's no real advantage there.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Some interesting connections...

One of Diabolic's books is If You Don't, He Will by Scarlet Duperre. That last name range a bell: David Duperre is an agent with Sedgeband Literary Associates, a fee-charging literary agency that's the subject of a thread here.

A little farther down Diabolic's book listing page, we find The Servants by Deborah Ryder, which is the subject of a laudatory quote by "Ginger Norton, Literary Agent." Ginger Norton is an agent at...Sedgeband Literary Associates.

On MySpace, Diabolic's publisher identifies herself as Scarlet Norton, thus: "Ms. Scarlet Norton is the publisher of Diabolic Publications. She is a Professional Writer and Literary Agent and has been involved in the writing industry for over twenty-years."

And with one of the links given above, we come full circle: a member profile at GoBigNetwork that lists Ginger Norton as the owner of Diabolic Publications.

- Victoria

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Ruh roh, Raggy, a crue!

I noticed the GoBigNetwork link also and was googling Ginger Norton as you posted this message.

Something tells me to tread with great caution here.

Not to mention the potential conflict of interest with mixing agenting and pod publishing . . .

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Scarlet Duperre and Scarlet Norton are the same person, she is the ex-sister-in-law of David Duperre and used his last name as a pen name for a while. Ginger Norton is her step-sister, Scarlet bought the publishing company from Ginger. Sedgeband closed its doors a couple of years ago, mainly because Ginger was tired of trying to run the business on her own. She simply forgot to change the information on the GoBigNetwork listing. Which I am sure she will do now that I have brought this thread to her attention.

She might want to change this one too.

Oh, and this one, which claims that Sedgeband had between 51 and 200 employees.

- Victoria

DeeDeeLewis

Registered
Reaction score
Scarlet asked me to remove my post. She does not feel that debating anything of this nature or private family matters is productive, and I agree. If people have questions about her, her company or her family, they are free to email her or call her. It was not my place to post anything in this regard. I apologize to her and to you people for intruding. When I came across this thread I immediately jumped in with both feet and really didn't think about whether I should or not.

I enjoy working with her and her company. Everyone I have ever spoken to within the company, the writers, editor, printer and other artist all say the same thing. They are small and not conventional in some of the things they do, they are willing to listen to writers opinions, willing to try new innovations, styles, marketing, just about any idea is given credit and debate. Yet they have many of the same traditions as most publishing companies. They have marketing venues, distributors (Baker & Taylor), printers, a full time editor on staff, and several artist. They also have many other people in the industry who would like to work with them.

Perhaps this is what I should have written in my first post. I won't add anything more. Contact Scarlet if you have questions about anything. Her email address is: [email protected]

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Baker & Taylor is a wholesaler, not a distributor. It's not a good sign if DP doesn't know the difference.

DeeDeeLewis

Registered
Reaction score
Baker & Taylor is a wholesaler, not a distributor. It's not a good sign if DP doesn't know the difference.

They are distributors, and so is Ingrams, who also happen to be wholesalers. You can even look it up on their web sites. I do not think any of the big publishing houses who use them care what you call them and neither do book sellers.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If you can find a publisher's books on shelves, they know the difference between fulfillment and distribution. And booksellers care about it very much since it's crucial to their discount and returns process.

I guess the question is: Are you passing on responses from DP or are you speaking on your own?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
They are distributors, and so is Ingrams, who also happen to be wholesalers. You can even look it up on their web sites. I do not think any of the big publishing houses who use them care what you call them and neither do book sellers.

not the same thing.

a "distributor" will have a sales force that will try to put your book into bookstores and on shelves.

Ingrams and B&T are warehousers that STORE the books and ship them out on request - which is not the same thing.

that's the difference between trying to hustle your local bookstore managers to order your book and knowing that it's going to be on the shelves of bookstores far, far beyond your driving area.

been there, done that. Without a real distributor your book is as dead as if you self-pubbed.

:(

DeeDeeLewis

Registered
Reaction score
If you can find a publisher's books on shelves, they know the difference between fulfillment and distribution. And booksellers care about it very much since it's crucial to their discount and returns process.

I guess the question is: Are you passing on responses from DP or are you speaking on your own?

Not passing on anything, except my own experiences in the business. I don't know what DP has to say about any of this, I only used Baker and Taylor as an example of the people they work with. I know that B&N and Borders all use Ingrams and B&T, and order most of their stock from them.

I am not a writer, I am a graphic artist so I do not get involved in this side of the business any more than I have too. But I have worked on projects with some of the big houses and they almost always list B&T and Ingrams as their distributors and some of the smaller places like SCB, Consortium, and others.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
MySpace page has been deleted and main site now reads "Diabolic Publications is currently rebuilding the website, catalog, and ordering system. Please check back soon." Considering it doesn't look like they published anything after 2007, I'm not holding my breath.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Revived early '11. Currently ebook/audio only.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Seem to be functioning. Looks like a place to publish the satanic vampire horror you wrote in 10th grade. Using the cover art of that satanic vampire metal demo you recorded in uncle Bob's basement.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Look Inside shows poor formatting and the consistent use of quotation marks where apostrophes should be.

You beat me to it! Diabolic's formatting and editing are...diabolical. And how's this for a singularly unhelpful Amazon blurb:

These poems written by Michael Andros, encapsulate the heart with timeless prose that speaks softly to your mind as well as, your soul.

Last edited:

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I clicked one of their titles. $9.99 for a 40-page ebook. Look Inside shows poor formatting and the consistent use of quotation marks where apostrophes should be.

I clicked on the $9.99 novel but only read the first page. The formatting was beyond poor. Besides quotation marks used in place of apostrophes and some words run together, there was no indenting for paragraphs after the first three.

However, the novel received one 5-star "review":
This was my first ebook purchase. I simply loved the book. The ONLY thing I would say is "wrong" with it? It could have been longer and I would have been perfectly happy.

Uh. . . .

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
Read the sample of "The Servants" on Amazon. All the covers look like they would have belonged next to my mom's collection of dreadful fantasy from the 70s. The sample I read...well, content aside, the formatting was atrocious. It seems like they did the whole "edit the first page really well", then completely forgot how to indent blocks of text after that, then inexplicably picked it all back up again a couple pages later.

At the $9.99 price range, there are hundreds or perhaps thousands of titles to choose from with better formatting. Why on earth would I choose one so sloppily put together?

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Their Guidelines page - http://www.diabolicpublications.com/guidelines is a little worrisome.

We do not accept simultaneous submissions! Please state in the email to which you attach your submission that your manuscript has been sent EXCLUSIVELY to Diabolic Publications, and will not be sent to any other publisher for a period of at least Ninety days.

A 90 exclusive on all submissions? Is that normal for a small press?

We acquire all forms of publication rights for three years, with an automatic one-year renewal unless either party provides a written request after the three year term, but prior to each one year renewal date.

Do they have the means to take advantage of, say, foreign language rights? If not, why do they want 'em?

Their payment for digital short stories is only .03/word. Reprints pay only .01/word. That seems low to me. I hope someone more familiar with short story submission will jump in and advise if that's a normal pay scale.

Editing: If your manuscript has been edited by a professional editor, if so you must provide the name and contact information of the editor and a copy of any contract you have with that editor. Diabolic Publications retains the right to edit any submission accepted for publication for basic grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.

(bolding added) That's "editing"? Really? The story can have gaping plot holes, characters can change name (or gender, like Atlanta Nights) willy-nilly, the story arc can do a "crazy Ivan" midway through the story, but the "editor" will blissfully move on, secure in the knowledge that everything is spelled correctly?

Their "editor" needs to take a quick look at their own website. They have a redundant "if so" in that first line. They also seem confused about how long it takes them to respond. They state 90 days, then state, it might take 120 days and, at the very bottom of the page state "We reply within 12 weeks...", which would be 84 days or 60 business days.

paulcosca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
http://www.diabolicpublications.com/soon

Are they serious with these fonts on these books? Are they really?

Does the font on "Diabolic Tales III" look like the font on a book of scary stories? It looks like the font on a flier pinned to a community bulletin board advertising a car wash.

And as an experiment, I was able to get pretty close to reproducing the font on "Dying to Live" with the Word Art in Microsoft Word.

For this they want a 90 day exclusive?

paulcosca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
Serialized Novels: If an author has completed a series of related works, and we accept the first book, all future books in the series must to go through the regular submission and acceptance route .

This doesn't strictly say "first refusal". This says "We want all your books forever if they're in the same series." Either it's unclear or horrible.

In one part of the Guidelines page:
Manuscript length: The minimum length is 20,000 words.

In another part of that SAME page:
We will not accept novels that are shorter than 40,000 words.

I would think this would be enough information to make an informed decision.