Status
Not open for further replies.

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I definitely would. I already have been self employed- and financially independent working out of my home for close to 30 years...so I have this starvation thing down to an art form. ;) But I have already learned to develop my own structure and to discipline myself and identify my inherent productivity. All I need is some editors and publishers loving my submissions and a little more faith in my writing and I'd dive in for a year.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
So, Question: Working folks who do not write full time, If you could, would you just let it all go in order to get a solid several months of writing time? How a bout a year?

Absolutely. In fact, my husband and I are trying to work some things out so I may be able to take 6-12 months off and just write. We'll see how that goes. Some time without the stress of my job, without sleeping on someone else's schedule (I'm a chronic insomniac...sleep is a major issue for me), and with 50 more hours per week at my disposal...yes, I absolutely would get more writing done.

Right now, we just need to get some debt issues under control, and then I will be in a position to take some much-needed time off to write...YAY!

inthecards

Registered
Reaction score
Writing is still a treat to me, something that's *not* work. If I gave up my day job and only wrote, I wonder if it would become work instead of fun. Would like to think that it would remain a joy and that I would love life and remain productive but part of me knows that some of the edge would be gone.

When I'm daydreaming I am a full time writer, poker player, golfer and motocross rider. When I wake up I'm an engineer and part time everything else :)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I say I would, and yet, I keep showing up to class...

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
And furthermore...

I notice a lot of responses saying "I would never have the discipline to sit and write 40 hours." First of all, there's nothing like that monthly mortgage, cable/internet and phone bill, not to mention those $50 fillups for the car, to motivate me to go home every night and do something constructive. And every day off too. Thank the stars I have no family. So I would love to be able to focus on just one project for 8 hours, and then go out and be a person at night.
To be fair, sometimes you go dry. Sometimes you need to rent movies, or walk in the park, or sit in Starbucks and think about your life. You need human activities and contact, if only for inspiring material. You need to wait for inspiration to happen. Pros do too, I'm certain; they just can't wait as long.
To be even more fair, I not only write but play music and animate. I realized if I was ever going to break out of the cubicle plantation I would need to be organized and disciplined. So I track hours, I budget like a mofo, and I wait a little longer for those rare days (and nights) when I just get to have fun.
I think it would be a better life, don't you?

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Only $50? Where do you live so I can come and fill up there! I'm at $60, and I drive a smallish 4-door sedan!
You should get your local rates at gasbuddy.com . I'm an hour from NYC so it's competitive, but it's at $3.85 minimum now. I'm just glad I'm a bike ride away from all the essentials now (like the train to NYC :D) I imagine LA is pretty bad?

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
You should get your local rates at gasbuddy.com . I'm an hour from NYC so it's competitive, but it's at $3.85 minimum now. I'm just glad I'm a bike ride away from all the essentials now (like the train to NYC :D) I imagine LA is pretty bad?

I'd like a train in Los Angeles, IF WE F'ING HAD THEM. Oh wait, there's that one that goes from the Valley (*shudder*) to Downtown and the other that goes from nowhere to nowhere. Good times.

I have to use Premium gas and we are well over $4/gallon here on the Westside.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
On the one hand, I'd love to just be able to write. On the other hand...I need human interaction throughout the day to keep me from falling into a stupor.

I think at this point in my life, I lack the discipline to make it a full-time thing. And frankly, despite my current frustrations with my job situation, I get plenty of downtime that I use to write. I think if I did write full-time, I'd probably get a similar amount of words (and maybe that much more mental frustration/burnout).

Now, part-time? I think that'd be awesome. Go into work 20 hours a week and spend the other 20 hours writing. Schweet.

(Won't pay the bills, unfortunately.)

Status
Not open for further replies.